“My husband and I pretend we are back in Italy every time we eat here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
302 S Market St, The Hotel Saint Claire, San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 271-3366
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 1,953 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Italian, Bakeries
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: San Carlos St.
Transit: City bus stops are located nearby
Description: Il Fornaio means "The Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2013.
Bay Area, CA
“My husband and I pretend we are back in Italy every time we eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We are "regulars." We dine here at least once a month. While the rest of the world waits for a seat at Original Joe's, we are escorted to a window table here. The Italian cuisine here is superb! Each month they like to vary the menu by adding choices that you may find in specific regions of Italy. Fantastic! BUONO! Bravissimo! Keep up the great work, Il Fornaio. We also like the G.M. here! Bravo, Mr. Pera!

Oakland, CA
“Basic upscale chain Italian restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Better than your average chain restaurant, but still quite obviously a chain!

“Breakfast at Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Il Fornaio is in the hotel I stayed at in San Jose. We had breakfast there as a team. It was very good. The coffee was really good too, string but not bitter. Being a hotel restaurant it's not the cheapest place to eat breakfast but it was convenient and the service and food were good.

Visited December 2011
Storrs, Connecticut
“Good Italian Food in a nice setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I had the Italian Beef Dish. It was tasty. Portions were very good sized.

I would have liked to try one of the homade pasta dishes, but I did not have enough room.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“Great food, but poor service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Il Fornaio has been a fixture in downtown San Jose for many years. I used to really enjoy going there, but think I have to find a new favorite downtown restaurant. The last three visits have been disappointing.

Most recently, I dined there one week ago. The food is always good, so the chef and kitchen staff are still upholding their classic standards. But the service my party received was lackluster and disappointing. Our waiter seemed annoyed by our requests and bored, probably eager to go home. We were dining late on a Saturday night, but if the restaurant is open and seating guests the service should still be focused on the customer. The hostess was not very friendly, either.

I wouldn't be writing this review if this experience only happened to me once, as I know any good restaurant can have an "off" night for whatever reason. But I had similarly disappointing service at Il Fornaio on two other occasions earlier this year. The restaurant management must be unaware or part of the problem. Too bad for the chef and the kitchen staff.

• Visited October 2011