“Yuk” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Yuk”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Should have guessed when we entered for dinner that the quality of this restaurant was suspect . only one other table was occupied.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Los Alamos, New Mexico
“Odd Arrangement But Good Personnel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The restaurant and bar are basically in the same room with some curious open-both-sides booths in between. If that's you're kind of thing, no problem. It's appended to a hotel, which may be a partial explanation.

But once you get past that it's a fairly usual Tony Roma's. The folks working there were doing their best, so service was pretty darn good. Overall, if you have a hankerin' for TR, this will fill the bill, but it probably won't be your favorite.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Silicon Valley, CA
“Tried it after many years when a 50% off ribs coupon arrived.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The mailed coupon was good only for July 2 and it had been many years since I had been to Tony Romas' so I thought it'd be a good way to see how their food is these days.

Years ago when we'd go at least once a month we'd always get a seat away from the bar in the upper level or lower level dining room. However when I arrived those areas weren't open yet so I was seated at a table in the main room not far from the bar with people passing by near my elbow.

It dawned on me as people arrived and left while I waited for and then ate my meal why we always wanted to be out of the bar area. There was a parade of women all probably over 50 or 60 who came in and went out and whose circumference was greater than their height. Watching them waddle in and waddle out made me realize why one shouldn't be eating that kind of food very often.

The bread arrived fairly quickly along with the iced tea that I ordered. The waitress was pretty good about keeping my iced tea glass full and I probably had 5 glasses of it during the time I was eating including a couple that one of the other servers brought when I asked them as they passed by. I had to ask for some more "original sauce" to put on the ribs and got what appeared to be less than two tablespoons of it in a very small bowl along with a soup spoon. They used to have containers of their sauce that were on every table when I ate there years ago and I really like that sauce. I was disappointed that they no longer seemed to want to part with any of it. I guess it's now made with gold embedded in it.

About 2/3 of the way through the ribs they brought additional paper napkins and a box, assuming that I wouldn't finish and some envelopes of moistened paper towels to get the sauce off my fingers. I could have used some much earlier but before then made do with the 3 paper napkins that they originally gave me.

The value was good since I got for $12 what would have been $20 + without the coupon. I used to always get an order of a half side of ribs and half a chicken and at that time it was a great combination along with the bread. And I think at one time even a small desert. Obviously those days are long past and everything is at least 3 times as expensive for less.

Bottom line, if I go again it'll have to be a good coupon and I'll wait until I can eat upstairs or down and not have to have those who should be on a diet waddle by my elbow in the narrow space between tables. Though perhaps the experience keeps me from also being bigger around than I am tall... Sort of a sad state of the American diet...

If you really like ribs, they ARE GOOD but make sure they bring you some extra sauce and a reasonable amount rather than hardly any that they brought for me. I think though that I won't be going back very soon unless I have a real attack of a desire for ribs.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Clara, California
“Worst service ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

WORST SERVICE EVER!

If I could give it 0 stars, I would.

I went to Tony Roma's with my inlaws, husband and two kids, arriving about 5:30. I had called in advance to confirm the "kids eat free on Tuesdays". We obviously arrived before the rush, but despite the restaurant only having 3 other parties seated, it took a few minutes to get our table. I don't know what took so long considering that we didn't have silverware until 20 minutes later.

It took only 5 minutes to get our drinks, 15 more for the free bread, then they finally took our order. The one order of strawberry lemonade came out after the bread, but we still had to ask for silverware so that we could use the butter that came with the bread.

We chose to go early because my children (ages 6 and 3), have their limits and we trusted that a restaurant that advertises "kids eat free" would understand how to serve families quickly.

After watching the restaurant fill up, we had to ask for more water (they must not have air conditioning), and got iced tea refills. All the while, tables around us were getting their appetizers, salads, etc. We asked for more bread three times (the kids needed something to tide them over) and were reassured that it was coming, but that they had to bake it fresh because they were SO busy. We asked for the "appetizer" that comes with the kids meal and were told that they don't include that anymore. When I pointed out that it's on the kids menu, she leaves, only for a busser to bring out exactly what I had just requested.

As the table of four who were seated after us were perusing the dessert menu, after being served salads and their entrees, we asked AGAIN for a status of our meals. My husband had ordered soup, and that hadn't come out yet either.

FINALLY, after 55 minutes since placing our drink orders, three of the food orders were delivered, two adults and one child. Great, the others must be on their way, right? My husband still hadn't gotten his soup. Another two orders come out, my husband's and daughters - which was wrong, but at that point, we didn't want to risk not having anything for her. Still waiting on the last adult's order - the server comments that we need more tea. I mention that we still need another salad. She says, "oh yeah". She comes back with a side salad, and finally my husband's soup. That's not what was ordered, it was an entree dinner salad, so we sent that and the soup back. Who wants to eat lobster chowder with ribs? And if she thought it was a side salad, which didn't she attempt to deliver it as an appetizer salad? The refused soup and salad arrived 90 minutes after the drink orders were placed - 35 minutes after the first entrees were delivered. When she took the food away, she slammed the tray down at the station where she puts in the orders, loud enough that people at the bar turned their attention to the sound.

The final straw was when my husband asked to see a manager. The manager was incapable and unwilling to discuss the issues. My husband suggested that the service was so poor that we needed some sort of discount on the tab. The server finally brings the check - which we asked to have split when we ordered. We received one check, so she went back. He also pointed out that we were being charged for the children's meals - remember, this is the reason we chose to go there, "kids eat free on Tuesdays". The manager then said that we couldn't combine that deal with the "rib deal". Um, WHAT rib deal. The giant sign outside said "kids eat free on Tuesdays". The giant sign behind the hostess counter said "kids eat free on Tuesdays". Nothing about a rib deal. Apparently today was 50% off rib day.

Once the server brought the two checks back, we asked to speak to the manager again. At this point, he was snippy. Unfortunately, his accent was strong enough that my husband had to ask him to repeat himself multiple times. He then asked to speak to the General Manager, and when the manager returned he said, "The GM refuses to discuss this with you." WOW. You have a completely dissatisfied customer and you're going to ignore him?

Ultimately, we did get the kids meals for free, and 20% off the tab, we also got attitude from the server, from the manager, and will never, ever go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California, USA
“Rib Experts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Fresh salads, great baby back ribs and nice chicken. An old reliable standby, especially for ribs! Takeout is sometimes a bit skimpy on the condiments like chiooed green onions for the potato.

Visited March 2013