“KIDS not welcome here” 2 of 5 stars

(408) 292-0291
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Teske's Germania is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 1,902 restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: German, Central European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Devine Street
California
“KIDS not welcome here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

We went to Teske's last night with 9 adults and 9 kids. We read reviews that said this was good for kids. Well, I can just say that kids are not welcome here.

The kids were able to get their own table, and we came prepared bringing the kids lots of books, crafts, etc. The restaurant was very noisy, perhaps due to Oktoberfest and large parties, and the kids were very well behaved and no louder than the rest of the people. One waitress came over and said our kids were being too loud (which they were not) and that some table ( with a bunch of older women wearing who knows what red thing on their heads) did not want to come back. We could not believe this. We were sitting next to a table of 12 or so 20-something guys drinking beer and shots of who-knows-what and they were just as loud. The waitress never came to apologize .

The only reason that I gave this 2 stars is that the food portions are big, although the food is so-so.

Our german waitress was fine.

BUT if you have kids, they are not welcome here so go somewhere else. None of 5 couples will go back here again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
San Jose, CA
“Great food at a friendly, family-run restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Go for the food, but plan to stay for awhile. You won't want to leave. Teske's offers a wide selection of German beers and spirits. If you go there with a group, your dinner can quickly turn into a party. During September, the Oktoberfest dinners are events that you don't want to miss.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Huge portions, little greasy... fun place to go if you are with a group.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

Huge portions, little greasy... fun place to go if you are with a group.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“It's all about the potato pancakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

It's all about the potato pancakes

San Jose, California
“Like Homecooked German Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

I love coming to Teske's! I can throw a rock at it from where I live, and is a great easy place to have a few drinks and some comfort food.

Cindy is our favorite! Not that everybody else isn't great... but I can talk to Cindy all day about anything and everything. She's so much fun! Last time we were there she was waitressing... saw us from across the room... screamed our names and came by to give us hugs! I don't know how she remembers everybody by name... but she does. Coming here is like coming to a friend's house - or Cheer's.

The pretzel appetizer (filled with jalapeno cheese) is sooo good. The entrees on the menu come with soup, salad, the entree, and apple strudel. The salad is always good, and their soups... oh their soups! It's always a different soup every day... but my favorite (so far) is the German Egg Drop soup. Mmmm... I could come here just for pretzels, soup, salad, and liquor. Actually, I do. Frequently. My fiance and I were coming this place just about every day, and it got pretty expensive.

It has a great beer garden outside, which is great for summer nights to have a beers/drinks with friends