“A bad sign” 4 of 5 stars

408.279.4275
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nemea Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,696 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
San Jose, California
“A bad sign”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

When I last checked in with Nemea by phone, they told me they had discontinued their weekday happy hour, which was a great deal. When I went back recently with a client we were told when we tried to sit at the bar to eat our lunch that there is no longer a daytime bartender. The manager was not there yet (noon) and only he could make cocktails. Food servers pour beer and wine. In past visits, the dining room was full or close to it at lunch. This visit found a half empty dining room. I hope these are not signs, as is often the case, of a restaurant about to go under, because the food remains very good. You get about the same amount of food as you get at Original Joe's, a couple of blocks away, but at 60% of the price charged by Joe's. A huge double cut pork chop, bone in, with a mound of mashed potatoes and a whole bunch of sauteed spinach for $16.00 at lunch! Can't beat that price.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“The reviews don't lie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

On a quick business trip to San Jose, I had a night free for dinner. After consulting trip advisor I decided to check out Nemea. The reviews are spot on. The decor is classy and fun, the menu has so many options it is hard to decide, service is friendly and prompt, and the food doesn't disappoint. I had the lamb chops and they were prepared to perfection while being juicy and flavorful. Great job, Nemea!

• Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
“Delighted to find great greek food in San Jose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Recently had a client lunch at Nemea Greek Taverna in downtown San Jose and was so delighted to find this place! It's upscale dining, not pretentious, but filled with nice ambiance, lots of light, good service and wonderful food. Had several starters that excited the taste buds and then the branzino which was excellent! I'll definitely come back often, this is a real treat.

Drammen, Norway
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is great new addition to the restaurants in San Jose. The Place has a great atmosphere, good service and very good food. I recommend this place.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“My Big Fat Greek Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had the best dinner ever at Nemea tonight! Our server JON was on top of everything! When I could not decide on which wine I wanted - he actually came up with a little tasting flight with his favorites and sure enough, he got me converted! :)
I wanted to marry my Risotto chef and at least adopt the one who cooked my Scallops.... the Octopus appetizer was spectacular. My apologies to Pastry Chef - I never got around to sampling any of their creations.... My husband enjoyed his Lamb Souvlaki immensely. The only thing we were sorry about was not being able to taste and sample more dishes - we wanted them all!
I can recommend this place to any of my clients. Their (semi)private room only seats 12 but the whole place is at 150 seats with a fairly reasonable buyout cost. Definitely go and try it out for dinner!