“Second stay, nice spot, poor spa” 4 of 5 stars

Stay 2 Nights | 3rd Free
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Napa
“Second stay, nice spot, poor spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

We have stayed here a couple of times and we love Santana Row. There is a great theater there that shows indie films and a cool sushi spot called blowfish that I like. The rooms are very comfortable. We stayed in a suite last time and I actually prefered the layout of the standard room more. The bathroom is a little small in there but the living/sleeping area is great. There were very cool about sending us drinks to the hot tub on the veranda even though it was freezing outside. The bellman was great and the front desk was very nice. We will return.

Stayed January 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2007

I need to be in San Jose for work almost every week, so this hotel was a real find. For the price (between $179 and $220 usually) the rooms are good-sized for a boutique hotel. I like the Asian feel and general amenities, and the public spaces are great. The Santana Row location is great as there are several good restaurants and tons of shopping just steps away.
However, I do find the hotel very unresponsive to frequent business traveler needs. I stayed there five or six times this past fall, and at no time did I get any recognition either ratewise, roomwise, or in my treatment that I was a frequent guest. And yep, I reminded 'em!
Service just seems a bit bemused overall. The concierge seems unable to do much (I tried to book a car service and it was a fiasco) and I was actually asked by room service exactly what "Earl Grey tea" was. Direct quote: "Is that some kind of drink?"
I think there are only two Valencias, SJ and San Antonio- so why the inattention to detail?

• Liked — Very stylish look and feel
  • Disliked — Very confused and below-average service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

The hotel is in a great location - great to be on Santana Row, but definitely not worth the price. When I spend almot $400 for a hotel room, I expect a number of amenities and exceptional customer service. None of those were present. The front desk personnel were less than friendly, the water in the room was for a hefty charge (no complimentary water), our beds were not turned down at night, no mints, and there wasn't even a newspaper at the door in the morning. These are all things you usually get from a nice Hilton or Sheraton - for a less expensive room rate. The rooms are okay, decorated very modern but rather cold and masculine. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it.

• Liked — Location at Santana Row - Santana Row is great!
  • Disliked — Customer Service, room decor, lack of amenities
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

Truly amazing place! Probably one of the best night-out experiences I've had.
I was looking for the best place to propose to my girlfriend, and found Cielo. I'd heard so much about them - the views of the sunset, the food, the service... everything surpassed my expectations.
From the moment I contacted them to make reservations at Cielo and at Citrus, nothing went wrong. They cordoned off and reserved the area by the fire for us, made the most wonderful cocktails, were polite, courteous and discreet, and went out of their way to make sure that everything was perfect.
Whoever heard of a hotel or restaurant calling you back to confirm yout reservation and to work with you to make sure everything's perfect??!! They go out of their way to make you feel special, like a V.V.I.P.
The food at Citrus is very very good, though they did tend to be a bit slow that evening - probably because of a wedding rehersal dinner there that was catering to several hundred guests. Even at Citrus, they'd cordoned off and reserved a special area for us, and the servers were always at hand to cater to our every whim and fancy.
All-in-all, an awesome, unforgettable, perfect experience.

And yes, she said yes :-)

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The slow service at Citrus
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

We stayed at the Hotel Valencia for one night in early September. The room was very nice! Modern with a large bathroom, plenty of counter space and a nice little balcony overlooking Santana Row. We ate dinner at a Mexican Restaurant a few blocks from the hotel. We sat outside where we could listen to a band. This was very nice. Several shops are close by. The hotel also had internet access. The continental breakfast was excellant, the best of our trip. The staff was very friendly and helpful, even giving coupons for the Winchester House which is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. We would definately stay here again.

• Liked — nice rooms/ generous continental breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pleasant Hill, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

Some friends and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate a birthday. Initially I tried to book a room via the website. The price shown did not match the price when trying to book the room so I contacted reservations and emailed them the page with the price. They told me they would look into it and get back to me. I ended up calling them back without any luck, someone dropped the ball and the reservationist hung up on me after she was totally rude! I ended up contacting the front desk and booking that way but when I checked the reservation they had booked the wrong package and not for the quoted rate!! It took me 9 days to actually get a reservation with the quoted price. My husband and I, after all of this, forgot our toothbrushes so when we checked in we asked for them. When I went to brush my teeth the bristles came out in my mouth!! For such a high class, pricey hotel they should offer better toothbrushes! The continental breakfast was good. It is confusing coming into the hotel at night since there is a bar upstairs and there is always a line of people waiting to get in. But if you're staying there you can just go up by showing your key. The airconditioner was also very loud! The view of the courtyard and pool was nice.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — making a reservation
  • Tips/Secrets — show your room key to get in at night without waiting in line
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

I booked my hotel via their website and got an excellent rate and deal. One night free on Labor Day weekend. It can't get much better than that! Check in went smoothly and the front desk clerk even caught an error before I mentioned it. the bell service sent my bags up about 15 minutes after i checked in. not bad at all. We got a king room without a balcony since we have a small child and it was huge! It had enough room for our travel crib and all of our things. We ordered room service and it came hot and prompt. the food was good and the prices were pretty decent considering it was room service. the free breakfast is a great perk for families with children and even travelers that are trying to keep in a budget. It was good food and a good variety. I was pleased with the service that I received here. The housekeeping came in the evenings for turn down service and were so friendly. I had a problem with our TV and the staff sent someone up within 5 minutes! I was truly impressed seeing as it was a busy holiday weekend and there was also a wedding here. I never had to wait very long for anything. the pool is gorgeous and they have complimentary bottled waters and lemonade. you can see a view of the courtyard and Santana Row from the pool. It's beautiful. Being in the middle of Santana Row is convenient. There are so many things to do and it's just a walk away!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Take advantage of your free breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Valencia - Santana Row? Share your experiences!