“Try Not to Use the Restrooms” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 64 Attractions in San Jose
Type: Playgrounds, Amusement/ Theme Parks, Zoos & Aquariums
More attraction details
Owner description: Happy Hollow Park & Zoo in San Jose has been a part of Bay Area families since it opened its’ gates in 1961. It’s a unique combination of family rides, amusements, a Puppet Theater, play areas and an accredited Zoo with over 140 animals, from endangered lemurs to miniature horses. Year round classes are offered for ages 12 months to adults as well as special events for all seasons. Happy Hollow Park & Zoo offers yearly Memberships for families and individuals.
California
“Try Not to Use the Restrooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

4/13/08 Took my grandaughter, used to go there with my kids.
The section with "rides" only had one ride running, and the rest of the area was very run down, not much for kids to do besides climb on the firetruck. Merry-go-round & cars were not open.
The zoo was ok for little ones, but made us feel badly for the animals, small enclosures, especially compared to the Oakland Zoo. The rest of the park was fenced off for construction.
The absolute worst thing was the restrooms! Fortunately we were able to hold on the whole time we were there. Feces on the floor in one and the other was flooded! Disgusting and we didn't find any others. I don't think we'll go back.

san jose
“Good Park..Bad Park?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

First of all..it is probably the most beautiful park I ever seen...it is great..and fun..and awesome just to look around and walk around...great place for a family to wander..

BUT

I went there..and paid parking..had a parking spot in the FRONT of the building where 100's of people where...I left my purse in the car..covered by a shirt..and some kids broke in my windows and stole my purse..and also did the same thing to the car RIGHT NEXT TO US!! we talked to the security and apparently it had been hapening ALOT...they have been steeling peoples stereos..cell phone adapters?...GPS systems...any thing and everything...so dont u think they would UP the security?? no..just one guy..who doesnt even drive around often..only ONCE an hour...so i woudlnt trust ANYTHING being in your car at all..because my purse was coverd and they preceded to break in anyways..

San Jose, CA
“Fun place for Families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

Happy Hollow is s great place for families with young children. I have two children, ages 2 and 4, and they love the kid friendly rides (5 rides) and attractions at the park. The older style playgrounds provide the perfect setting for my children to use their imagination and to play.
The zoo tries promotes animal conservation but my kids found the animals to be fun to watch. The interactive petting zoo was great. The animals were not aggressive and loved to be petted. They especially loved the baby meerkats.
The employees were courtious and very helpful.
Overall, The park is a great valve ($6) and a fun place to spend time with the family.

California
“Follow my day planner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

Okay, here it is in a nutshell. Visit the park on the first Tuesday of the month to get the $1.00 admission per person versus the $6.00 price tag if you can. Parking will usually be $6.00 on a daily basis. Visit the Japanese Gardens first around 10-1030. You will easily spend an hour here just walking around the garden and looking at the fish. Work your way back to the parking lot and get the packed lunch you brought. The food inside the park is expensive and not very good. Find a good spot on the grass or picnic area and fill up your belly. After lunch, it's time now to fill up the stroller with snacks and drinks. Bring a backpack if your kids outgrew the stroller era. On your way into the park, visit the so-so zoo first and get it out of your way. My kids (ages 2 and 4) seem to like the petting zoo and that was about it. The park area was a good place to let your kids explore. The maze, crooked house, playground areas, steamboat, and fire engine to climb on were fun for the little ones.
The limited rides like "Danny" the dragon and the merry-go-round were okay considering they were included in the price of the park. This was a trip down memory lane for me since I used to come here as a kid back in the day. Overall, this is a fun day trip for the family and will be an annual trip for us in the future.

Ann Arbor, MI
5 attraction reviews
“Great Place for Young Children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

My wife and I took our three-year-old daughter here two days in a row during a recent family visit in San Jose, CA. The park is divided into two parts: a zoo and an amusement park. The zoo contains an interesting mix of animals, including lemurs, meerkats, jaguar, monkeys, pot-bellied pig, and others. My daughter was most interested in the amusement park, which contained a small carousel and a variety of rides geared toward children 2-8. There are a number of small playgrounds within the park, a maze, and a puppet show. The first day we arrived around 3 PM and parking was free and the rides nearly empty. The next day we came when the park opened at 10 AM and there were loads of schoolchildren there for a field trip and a $6 parking fee ($2 for seniors).

I believe the regular admission price is around $6, but we enjoyed free admission because we are members of a local hands-on science museum. There is a list, AZTEC I believe, that shows what museums have reciprocity.

Overall, I think this museum is a great place to bring small children.