“The Comfort was Suite...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #24 of 72 hotels in San Jose
Orange, CA
“The Comfort was Suite...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Prologue:
On May 28, 2005, my boyfriend and I stayed at the Comfort Suites in San Jose, CA. I booked through ASCAP and got a great deal on our suite- about 60 dollars after taxes and fees. This price will soon decrease as I go on with my story.

My story:
The Comfort Suites Airport was a great value- we were able to buy tickets to the nearby Winchester Mystery House at the hotel's discount price of 15 dollars per ticket! Tickets are about 20 dollars, normally, which means my boyfriend and I saved 10 bucks. That brought the hotel rate down to $50 a night, as far as I'm concerned. The deal gets better and better. The hotel is located on pretty, tree-lined First Street and a light rail runs right through it. When I first saw the tracks running right down the middle of the street, I was worried and wondered if that was the reason for the cheap rate. When the light rail actually went by and made not a peep, I felt instantly silly for worrying. It was actually kind of pretty to watch from the second level breakfast room, once I realized it made no audible sound.

Check in was very easy, which was great since we were on a bit of a time schedule. The lobby had internet access and a nice but small sitting area.
The tall, light-golden vaulted ceilings gave me the feeling that the room was much bigger than it was really was, and the walls were fresh and uplifting. The elevator sometimes took forever and I learned why, but most staircases I saw were thickly carpeted, which cut down on shock absorbed into my tootsies. Free underground parking led us directly into the lobby, where we were able to access our room. This was very convenient. This also brings our room rate down to somewhere around $30 dollars because if you have to either pay for parking or use a valet and find a bell hop, this costs. Nothing at this hotel is very far from anything else. The hotel was just large enough that carrying lots of luggage was not a chore.

Our room was very clean and new. It felt kind of stiff and not lived in, like a model home. It was not the feeling you would want from a B&B or in your own home, but it was just perfect for a hotel room. The mirrored closet served as a full-length mirror which was perfect since I had come up for a cousin's wedding and hadn't tried on my dress with my shoes as of yet. Inside of the closet were an ironing board and an iron. Our room included a mini-coffee maker, a cute little microwave, a mini-fridge and a quasi-wet-bar-area that provided much-welcomed extra counter space. For some reason, there was a VCR in our room as well. I guess you could've checked out movies or something, but it just made me wish I'd dug up old family videos and brought 'em along just in case.

The bed's linens were crisp and clean. We each got two pillows and didn't have to ask for more, unlike at some hotels. The living area was tastefully decorated. The desk made yet another handy catchall area for my boyfriend's loose change at night. There was also an oval wooden coffee table and stiff-looking loveseat that looked like it perhaps had been staingaurded one too many times. Nevertheless, I liked the place a lot. I liked that dust was non-existent. I am allergic to so many places that to be in a dust-free environment is always a welcome blessing. I liked that a decorator, or at least someone with a keen eye, had given his or her two cents when they were first deciding what to put where. The wall light fixtures actually matched the floor lamps, the curtains matched the dust ruffle... it was somewhat amusing to imagine how many room patterns had coordinates and how many had mates. The crown molding in the ceiling really added a nice touch, as did the recessed lighting in the hallway/closet area by the door. Everything was logically placed, but the hallway area got a little cramped as we rushed to clean up from our 6-hour road trip in time for the wedding. If someone was looking in the closet, the other couldn't pass freely between the bathroom and the sleeping/living area. It probably would not matter if either people weren’t in a hurry or if you were to stay there alone, but that wasn't our case.

The wall-mounted magnifying mirror in the bathroom saved me from any possible makeup faux pas. That was a most unexpected bonus considering the wedding in store. The bathroom's counter was deep, leaving all sorts of room for my make up goodies, curling iron, etc. to splay out. The bathtub included an adjustable massaging showerhead (very relaxing; good water pressure) and a hairdryer, again, miniature-sized. This place was good; clean living, abbreviated for your convenience.

This included the breakfast. It consisted of all the major food groups- not just carbs, which is good for a hypoglycemic like me. They had pitchers of apple and orange juice, milk and water. You could also have coffee or tea. You sometimes see a ready-made waffler in hotels and inns. You put the pre-measured batter in the already hot iron and wait some 5-6 minutes until your little waffle is ready. Ingenious. We also ate their eggs and sausage and took a banana back to our room for later. This brings us down to maybe $23 or so, including all the perks and savings. They also had a selection of bagels, pastries, cereal, and yogurt. People sitting there in the breakfast room were nice folk. I heard the sounds of many happy conversations around me as I looked out the window onto the noiseless light rail track and planned my departure time and the rest of my vacation.

Overall, 9 out of 10. The location was great, the service was excellent and the rooms were adequately sized and comfortable. The only thing that was a little bothersome was the space between the doors and the floor, which was about 1.5 inches tall, from my vague recollection. I didn't quite feel like I was in a bargain store dressing room, but it was somewhere in the same neighborhood. We deduced that it was probably something to do with the fact that we were on a smoking floor, but if so, said Richie the boyfriend, their logic is lost, since one would think they would not want the smell of the cigarettes to waft into the hallways as it did when someone was in the act of smoking.

The other problem we ran into with doors so short on the bottom was that, situated next to the staircase, we could subtlety hear foot traffic and passing loud conversations. This was never enough of a problem to complain about and I admit that I am an incurably light sleeper, so it's probably just me anyhow. Falling asleep with the TV on drowned out all noise, as I'm sure the digitally controlled air conditioning unit would have done had it been hotter that night.

Well done, Comfort Suites Airport. You made our journey fast, pain-free, and even a little uplifting. Did I mention how clean everything was? The hotel staff there is welcome in my apartment anytime. They were courteous, efficient and honest to boot. I left my wallet at the front desk in a hurry, and within 15 minutes, the young man who checked me in called our room and we went down to get it. I had some three hundred dollars cash inside of it and nothing had been disturbed. So far, I am at the point where I'm getting 280 dollars cash back for staying in this hotel! Honesty and integrity should be a given, but it isn't always. At the Comfort Suites, I felt safe from such nonsense.

The same staff member who had notified me of my wayward wallet upon check-in was there the next morning upon check out. He did a double take at the bill and re-checked the computer. This made me a little nervous. This was also the longest I ever waited while under their roof- an extra 40 seconds or so above the average couple of minutes. I asked him if something was wrong. He frowned, paused and eventually said no. He had just forgotten about the inclusion of the Winchester admission. He was just double-checking out of the concern that I was being overcharged. How nice! Either that happens frequently, or this is a great place to stay, full of honest people who wouldn't pull a fast one over on anyone. I would like to think it is the latter.

This puts me at a potential 30-dollar overcharge, save the virtuous front deskman. If you add that to the $280 then I actually grew ten dollars richer from taking this trip!
Well, not quite, but it is nice to fantasize...

Anyway, that is the end of my story about the Comfort Suites. Unless you want to hear a little more about my trip to the Winchester or Santana Row, you can stop reading. Review of Comfort Inn of Gilroy to come.

Epilogue:
San Jose has much to offer that we did not have time for. Next time we are up, we will check out their Japan Town. I definitely recommend visiting the Winchester Mystery House. This house and rifle museum is a definite must-see for aspiring neo-Victorian architects and whimsical homes & gardens daydreamers like me... Alternatively, if you enjoy gardening and high-priced fashion, visit Santana Row on a Sunday and get both. There's a Farmer's Market with beautiful flowers, both cut and potted, and little stands full of all sorts of international foods, with a few western favorites for balance. There are a few really nice fountains and a life-sized ("you know, for kids") chessboard with chess pieces that are about the size, but not weight, of your average 1.5 or 2 year old. Great for a family with little ones, but the two of us yuppies enjoyed it anyway.
If you have enough time, travel the 30 minutes or so south to Gilroy and take in the Bonfante Gardens ("home of Circus Trees!") or some local wineries. We did, and this was one of the nicest, simplest little weekend vacations we could have ever wished for.

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Topeka, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2005

I stayed in a one bedroom, 2 queen beds suite for 4 days ($108 weekday, $81 weekend). The suite was very spacious, clean and well-equiped. The kitchen featured full size refrigater, ranch, microwave, dishes and utinsel. Both living room and bedroom had 25' TV and VCR. The free breakfast offered hot entries that changed daily. The staff helped make fresh waffle in restaurant standard. Free internet, newspaper, parking, airport shuttle and even movie video. Good location to airport, downtown and high-tech. corporate offices. Many restaurants nearby. Can't expect more for the rate offered.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2004

This is a very nice hotel for the price. I paid $79.00 for the room. The hotel was located very close to the airport without the noise. There is a parking garage at the hotel that made it very convenient. Both desk clerks were very friendly and helpful. The room had a fridge, microwave, VCR, and a sitting area. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I stayed at a hotel in Monterey that was $200.00 a night that was not as nice as this hotel. It is not the Taj Mahal, but it is a great value. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Been to Comfort Suites Airport? Share your experiences!