“Enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oakland, California
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed at the Moorpark for a couple of nights and was pleased with our experience. It wasn't perfect but overall we found the room comfortable, quiet and conveniently located just off the freeway with ample free parking. Although the price was on par with a couple of downtown hotels we found deals for the free parking and ease of access helped make up our mind.

The only issues we encountered were:

1. Although the checkout time is noon our card deactivated at about 11am both days. The first day we were due to check out but ended up adding another day. The desk staff blamed it on random demagnetizing of our card but we knew that wasn't the case because the second day we were out at the pool and couldn't get back in. I was able to get back to the pool area which had a reader on it - worked fine. I ended up having to sneak back in through an open door in the bar (which was closed) otherwise I would have had to call the front desk and ask to be let back in (fortunately I had my phone but didn't need it).

2. One of the hand rails in the hot tub was loose, could be dangerous but thankfully wasn't an issue. The tub could have been a few degrees warmer but was good enough.

3. The bar closed at 10pm which wasn't convenient for a nightcap after returning from downtown, so we ended up going over to Applebees across the parking lot.

Other than that I was pleased and would return again if the price was about the same (we paid $110 a night).

Room Tip: Second floor was good for us. Third floor is for club level rooms only I think.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I was a little skeptical of this place when I made my reservation; it's old, in an older neighborhood and only 3 stories but I was very pleasantly surprised. Conveniently located at the Saratoga Blvd. exit of 280 with two restaurants and a gas station on the same corner it gives easy access to your destinations. The lobby is comfortable, the staff accommodating. It's changed ownership recently and the new owner is working hard to bring back local business in the bar/restaurant with a consistent happy hour and great food. The bar tender will become your best friend - he knows his drinks, knows the area and tells a great story. Breakfast buffet is served in the bar area in the morning with your typical fare - eggs, sausages and bacon, pancakes, breads & pastries, fresh fruit and such. The lounge area of the bar overlooks the pool and spa and the cabanas which would be great in the summer heat.

The gym was small but adequate with treadmills, elipticals, cycles and a stairmaster. Free weights are also provided.

The room was great! The entry was larger than many homes. Ceilings are 9' adding to the spacious feel. The window had a plantation shutter instead of the typical drapes. The bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was over 50 square feet with a large granite counter.

I could go on and on. The third floor is their 'executive' floor that requires your room key to access. The hotel provides fresh fruit all day and cookies and milk at night on this floor. The second floor has a billiard table. How cool is that?

The price appeared to be less than the chain hotels in the area and it's definitely a great place to stay.

The only downside for me was the road noise. I'm a light sleeper and heard traffic all night (or so it seemed). There may be quieter rooms, I didn't ask.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a quiet room - the hotel is at the freeway exit onto a busy boul...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

My daughters and I stayed here when touring SCU. Right across the street from Mitsuwa (a nice big asian market). Also in same complex with Tony Roma's and Applebee's. Rooms were clean, well appointed and roomy. The only downside was the noisy heater/air conditioner unit that would switch on and off rather loudly. We didn't opt for the "upgraded" rooms with breakfast- happy to make short drive to Bijan Bakery (Kiely & Saratoga Av) for croissants, bagels and coffee. Right off of Interstate 280 and easy to get to Santana Row and Westfield Shopping. Friendly Ali checked us in and even called our room to make sure all was okay! Enjoyed takeout from one of the restaurants in Mitsuwa. Will definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again as it was less expensive than all of the comparable hotels I could find with 2 queen beds in this area!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I was looking for a room with two queen beds for my dad & sister for $120 or under in the Campbell/West San Jose area and had a difficult time until I found the Moorpark Hotel. Good location near freeway access, restaurants, and shopping. Price met my budget & it had two queen bed rooms!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at luxury hotels and dive motels and this place was very nice. The decour and service was excelent. The rooms, although small, were nicer than I expected and very clean. I don't know if they've redecorated since the man who gave it two stars, but I would deffinately stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I needed a nice, clean, safe place to stay in San Jose where I attended my 45 year class reunion, which was at a classmates home in The Rose Garden district. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. I stayed on the third level, which offers many freebies not available to the other floors. The room was spacious and clean. The bed was divine. The staff were all friendly and helpful. My ONLY issue was that one of the window shutters would not close and my room faced East, so Good Morning sun in the yes. No big deal, I needed to get up anyway.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
MoorparkSanJose, General Manager at Moorpark Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Hello,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience with us. Thank you again.

At your service,

Isabelle Matter
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My son, an Apple employee (mothers used to brag about their son-the-doctor), recommended this hotel as well as another in the chain as one used by people doing business with him and his coworkers. I joined the Joie de Vivre affinity group and received immediate benefits which discounted and upgraded my reservation. The location is convenient and we were able to park with no problem. Lobby, bar, pool are very well designed and decorated. Rooms are comfortable and well maintained. Amenities include well stocked mini-bar, breakfast buffet, and for concierge level, a glass of nice house wine or a beer in the evening. The breakfast buffet includes Asian items and it's always enjoyable to try something different. Staff was professional and knowledgeable. We had a great time and will use this hotel as well as other locations, specifically in San Francisco, in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello,

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience.

At your service,

Isabelle Matter

Been to Moorpark Hotel? Share your experiences!