“Great small hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great small hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a fantasic hotel for business or personal stays in the San Jose area. It's small a quaint, the staff treats you like part of the family. The rooms are spacious, clean and up to date. The bar and resturant are small, food and service are excellent. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

What a wonderful hotel. This hotel was a welcome after a long day travel up the California coast from Hearst Castle. The front desk staff was wonderful and very helpful. We got a quick way to get to the airport the next day without taking the freeway. The rooms were spacious and very nicely appointed. Great toiletries. Clean. Nice added touches. The breakfast was extensive and had a nice view of the pool. It was within walking distance to places to eat for dinner so there was no need to get into a car and drive. I love this hotel! I wish there were more reasons for me to come to San Jose. If I do, I know where I am staying!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MoorparkSanJose, General Manager at Moorpark Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hello,

On behalf of all of us at the Moorpark Hotel, I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team as I know they will appreciate receiving your feedback as well. I am glad we met your expectations during your visit with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on the 3rd floor (Club Rooms) so you got Cookies and Milk at night, free breakfast and also a 'Club Lounge' which is just a chair and a table. The only problem with this was that you needed your key card to get into the floor, this was a problem because when leaving kids to go to the toilet on the ground floor they couldn't get back up to the floor.

We had rooms facing the Parking Area and Restaurant's but never had any noise.

The breakfast was fairly limited and from what I can remember you couldn't get bacon, sausage, waffles etc but there was toast and cereal.

The pool area was very nice with a good size pool and a jacuzzi. The sort of cabins at the side were also a nice touch.

The location was good for food as there were plenty of places to eat nearby and a supermarket.

The pool table always made for a nice end to an evening and it was brilliant quality.

Also a thanks to the Moorpark staff, who gave us a little hamper to say thank you for our long stay :)

• Stayed November 2011
MoorparkSanJose, General Manager at Moorpark Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for your recent stay with us. I am very happy to see that we met your expectations and that our staff took good care of you. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was the only "non-generic, non-chain" hotel that accomodated us during our Bay area trip last weekend (me and my wife) and it was a wonderful time. Moorpark hotel is located in a quiet part of a busy commercial area but is quietly and neatly tucked away. It shares a parking lot with Tony Roma's, and is a hop away from Applebee's (food is obviously covered), as well as 2 gas stations (we found very convienient when having to return rental car early next morning). The staff was AMAZING, every single time we passed by the lobby they made sure to say hello, and/or to acknowledge us and make sure we were ok. They also answered questions regarding where to shop, eat and visit in the area. The room was a good size for a 'standard king' , theres a couch and mini sitting area included. Theres a small but adequate business center located on the main floor, a bar that was nice but mostly shut while we were there (a sunday) a billiards/pool table as you get out of the elevator on the second floor (we were in 225), and the best part is the Pool/Hottube area. There are nice cabanas lined up beside the pool, and since the hotel was not busy by any stretch, we enjoyed the outdoor amenities to ourselves :). You're only 5 mins drive from the airport, Westfield Valley Fair mall (a must for shoppers) Downtown SJ, and Santana Row (another must for tourists). They offer a daily breakfast buffet which we never got the opportunity to try out, but it looked great. We enjoyed our one night in San Jose and Moorpark was more than accomodating ! I definitely recommend this to any couples/families looking for a quaint, botique hotel experience that's just moments from the hustle of the city, and not too far from the world-famous San Fran bay. Great times at Moorpark !

Room Tip: Second or Third floors so you can take advantage of the Pool Tables !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

On behalf of all of us at the Moorpark Hotel, I want to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Moorpark Hotel. I am glad we were able to exceed your expectations during your visit with us.

Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This out is not a full service we kiss your butt style of hotel. What they do they do right or attempt to anyway! The staff is decent and can help with all of your needs. The hotel has a great pool area and a Billards table on property. This reminds me of a swanky Hugh Hefner kind of place without all of the women. I suggest hitting the bar as the prices are okay but it is always empty.

Relax by the pool and have a martini while you soak up the rays.

• Stayed December 2011

Spring Lake, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This is an okay hotel, in an area that seems questionable. Rooms were good, but mattresses were quite bouncy, so when one person moves, so does the other. Tried to have breakfast, but decided it was not worth the buffet price with so few choices. Went to a nearby McDonalds instead. Nice area upstairs for groups to play pool or watch tv together.

• Stayed September 2012
MoorparkSanJose, General Manager at Moorpark Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Moorpark Hotel. Your comments are very important to us to help us improve our standards of quality and service. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and make your experience a great one.

San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a little anniversary get-away. (We celebrate our anniversaries at La Fondue in Saratoga. We decided to stay in a hotel that was closer to the restaurant, because we live more than an hour away.) By the way, the hotel is in a pretty safe area near well-lit chain family restaurants. Still, we were happy there was underground parking.

The fantastic: Astoundingly well-designed pool/ hot tub area. I'm not a huge pool person, but this area was very well thought out with its draped cabanas, chaise lounges, etc. providing relaxing comfort that we were glad we'd budgeted a little extra time to enjoy the pool. Even though this hotel is in an urban area, you could hardly tell because they had blocked out the urban sights and sounds with walls and other landscaping. We lounged in the pool and hot tub, then relaxed by the pool. I highly recommend this feature!

The luxurious: We reserved a "club level king" for $121/night, that included a "hot breakfast" (see below) and a room on their fancy exclusive floor of the hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable, with soft sheets and pillows. The furniture was well laid out, and the sofa was a nice touch. They offered warm cookies in the comfortable lounge just outside the elevators. (If we hadn't been going to La Fondue, I might have indulged.) Even though the furnishings in the room and the lounge didn't seem brand new, everything seemed very clean and well cared for.....

Except.....

The bad maintenance: The wooden shutters in our elegant room were broken and supposedly repaired with duct tape. The duct tape was so old and dusty that the shutter slats wouldn't stay closed. During the day, it's not a big deal, because no one can see inside from the outside. However, the light from a nearby restaurant sign poured in through the open slats at night and bothered my husband. (I use an eyemask.) When I complained about it the following morning, the receptionist shrugged her shoulders and said that the hotel was replacing all of the shutters. She didn't seem at all concerned about how that affected people in the rooms with shutters that hadn't been replaced. After I filled out an online survey, a manager sent me an e-mail apologizing for the inconvenience and explaining that the problem had been fixed.

The icky: On the website, it said that our upgrade included a "hot breakfast." When I spoke with first one hotel staffperson, then another to make my reservation, they both confirmed that the "upgrade" included a "hot breakfast." The only thing hot about the breakfast was a tub of slimy oatmeal. Even the pastries in the pastry cabinet were stale. With no sarcasm intended, I have eaten better baked goods from a vending machine. I don't recall if there was boxed cold cereal, but I don't believe so. There was no waffle-maker, which even basic motels sometimes offer. The only thing I found palatable were the hard boiled eggs. My husband and I left extremely disappointed, and we stopped at an IHOP for breakfast on the way home.

The hotel website was misleading about what would be offered, and when I asked for clarification from the staff, someone from the hotel should have told me that the breakfast was simply (pre-fab) pastries and oatmeal. The breakfast was our primary reason for getting an upgrade, and it was a sorry disappointment. I have not received a note from hotel management about this problem.

The annoying: We were charged $2.00 in error after we checked out. I called the hotel. The staff person told me that we must have taken something from the mini-bar. (That is, she blamed us for the error.) I explained that we received a free $10 mini-bar gift certificate, and we carefully calculated which items to choose to make sure we did not go over $10. She reversed the charge, and said that maybe the staff didn't notice that a previous guest took something from the mini-bar before we checked in. I don't believe she apologized.

Summary: The Moorpark Hotel is a very well-designed, clean, quiet establishment that, in most ways, met or exceeded my expectations. The pool oasis area was fantastic. The bed, bedding, and furniture were very comfortable. The maintenance during their upgrade was shoddy, and the staff's response to my concern was disappointing. The "hot breakfast" was nasty, and the hype surrounding it was deceptive. The mini-bar bookkeeping was imperfect, and the staff's first response was to blame me. If you can get this hotel for $110 or less, it is probably still worth it. Avoid paying full price, because you may have big disappointments.

Room Tip: If you can nab a room on the club floor for a good price ($120 or less), go for it. Apparently, all...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Moorpark Hotel. Your comments are very important to us to help us improve our standards of quality and service. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

imatter@jdvhotels.com

Been to Moorpark Hotel? Share your experiences!