“Very please with our stay during the U S Figure Skating Championships” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn And Suites San Jose

Special Offer
AAA - Save Up to 10%
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
orinda
“Very please with our stay during the U S Figure Skating Championships”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

The Hotel was easy to find and we were warmly greeted at the front desk. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and quite large, as was the bathroom. The breakfast was better than average and they had a waffle make r:). We heard someone comment negativley on the neighgorhood, but we felt quite safe as we came back from the sessions, often late at night. I would stay there again and based on this stay would try another Hampton Inn. We couldn't take advantage of the happy hour because we were at the rinks. Did enjoy free wifi in the room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Stayed overnight and was met with a very courteous front desk staff member. The front lobby welcomed me with coffee, water, and newspapers and a small sitting area. The dining area was clean with a nice breakfast served with oatmeal, waffles, scrambled eggs, tater tots, cold cereal, yogurt, juices, coffee, and tea. The room was very spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. Very good place for the money we spent. I would recommend this place to friends to family for future visits.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Ok, the place is not the newest nor in the most safest area; however, with that said, it still has plenty of positives that would have me stay there again. The biggest pluses are the employees from the front desk staff, to the breakfast lady, to the happy hour lady. Helpful, kind, hard-working are the words to use to describe them.
The lobby and carpeting thruout are a bit worn looking. No roomed business center - basically 2 terminals at the lobby - but plenty of office supplies and 2 printers. The exercise room is not open 24 hours. There is some older equipment and no free weights but enough to get a workout done. Busy in the morning as 2 treadmills, 2 bikes to share.
Our bedroom and bathroom were clean, quiet and comfortable. Loved that we had a refrig and microwave in our room - both came in handy. Parking is free and ample. No gift shop but there is an area where they sell fundamentals like toiletries, frozen meals, sodas, etc. The pool is outdoors, on the small size and a bit older looking with not any views. However, it was pleasant to sit on the pool chairs to relax.
Next door is a large grocery outlet store with plenty of good deals on snacks and personal items. Also, plenty of beer and wine available for purchase at decent prices. I picked up a good white zin for $1.99/bottle. The hotel uncorked it for me and the refrig kept it cold.
Weekdays in the evening is a free happy hour in the library of the hotel. Various drinks, alcoholic and nonalcoholic, salad, cheeses, crackers, tortilla chips, salsa, potato salad every night. The main course each night changes from delicious chicken wings to lasagna to tacos to homemade enchilladas - yum! It is also a nice time to meet your fellow travelers.
The free breakfast each morning includes fruits, juices, oatmeal, cold cereal, various breads/rolls and changing hot dishes. Really liked the cheese and egg omelets. This was all available from 6 to 10 in a separate room with comfortable seating and a tv.
Now location wise you are too far from downtown to walk to it. If you don't have a car you would have to either take a bus with multiple stops or a different bus to take you to the rail. The bus stops were outside the Grocery Outlet. I could not figure out how to get to the train tho from the front desk manager's directions. If you have a car and want to get downtown, take Market and bypass all the highway bumper to bumper traffic.
The hotel grounds are safe but I would not walk off the property at night. Surrounding area is a mixed bag with safe and unsafe spots. All in all tho, a nice place to stay with more good than bad points. It grew on me the more days I stayed there.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

This Hampton Inn is not as updated as the ones I usually stay in but it was still nice. The room was really clean and spacious and it was great to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Staff is friendly. My big complaint is with the fitness room. As a business traveler this can be important and they shouldn't advertise that they have a fitness room when the equipment is so old and in need of repair. If you don't care about that, then I would stay here. If this is a big deal to you, I would go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

My mom and i came to San Jose,Ca and stayed at this Hampton hotel. This hotel has a nice welcoming lobby with welcoming staff. The rooms here are spacious and very comfortable. The sweet start breakfast here was very good and had a lot of tasty options. The hotel is in a great location about 5min. away from downtown San Jose. Next time your in San Jose stay here for sure. :)

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I was supposed to stay two nights and after only one night I left. I couldn't wait to get out. While it is fairly clean looking overall and the lot is well it, the hotel looks and feels like it used to be some kind of downscale brand, not a Hampton inn. I felt like I was staying in a prison bordello! Fluorescent lighting abounds. There's no auto entry doors on the lobby. The pool is about as big as a postage stamp. The rooms are cavernous feeling, making furnishings and accoutrements appear tiny, sparse, and cheap. My room had a slightly funky/musty smell. Walls are PAPER THIN. If your neighbor is watching TV you'll know what channel they are watching. If they sneeze, you'll know it. If you said "bless you" they'd hear it! Trust me, I heard my neighbor sneeze. I was just glad I didn't hear other things. My room overlooked a junky looking construction equipment rental yard. They were setting up a "Cash4Gold" thing in a meeting room when I checked out..very sketchy. The best thing I can say about the room is that the bed had a nice featherbed topper. If you are a very, very no-frills person who needs to be in this area and wants a free breakfast with your stay it may be for you, but otherwise I'd head for a comparably priced hotel in nearby Santa Clara.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Northern Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Stayed here while in San Jose visiting family. We stayed in a 2BD suite. It was very clean. A no frills room but very clean. The kitchenette had a sink, mini frig, and microwave. The hotel property is nice, well kept, and the parking lot is well lit. You can enter and exit the hotel drive from only one street. The hotel is easily accessible and kitty corner to a brand new shopping center called The Plant. There are lots of restaurants and shops; Starbucks, Five Guys, Target, El Pollo Loco...just to name a few. There is a big cemetery across the street. It is not the best area of San Jose, so while we felt safe in the hotel and didn't have any safety concerns, it is not an area where we would have taken a walk at night.

The breakfasts were good and like other Hampton Inns have hot food/protein options. One morning it was a bacon, egg, cheese melt bagel. 2nd morning it was spicy sausage with scrambled eggs. 3rd morning it was eggs and sausage patties. It is a smaller breakfast room and a few families could easily fill it. But, during our stay most of the travelers were those staying on business.

While the staff was friendly and helpful there is one that made an incredible impression. He came into the breakfast area and greeted everyone (guests, breakfast room staff). He had a great attitude and fabulous personality and was professionally dressed (slacks & dress shirt). We knew he worked there but weren't sure of his role. We asked around, b/c we intended to come home and write our Trip Advisor review, and discovered that he was the Hotel Manager, Matt Logan. What a great asset Hilton Hotels has with him. Amazing and refreshing to observe someone with such an outgoing personality that treats others with such kindness, and respect.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn And Suites San Jose? Share your experiences!