“Convenient Marriott Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Convenient Marriott Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed at SJ Marriott for a week with family while attending an event at the Convention Center. The hotel is a basic Marriott Hotel with no real thrills. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. The room décor is basic but modern. The staff are competent, efficient and friendly. The largest plus here is that it is conveniently attached to the Convention Center which allows for a quick short walk to the Center if your there for a meeting or event. It is also attached conveniently to the Convention Center public Parking garage which is much cheaper and more convenient than using their high priced daily parking from the hotel. There are 2 restaurants in the hotel, both which are good. The Tanq bar is a nice little modern looking sports bar with multiple TV's and a decent bar menu that is open late, and the Arcadia is a steak house that has very good steaks and other food selections. The odd thing is that neither restaurant is open during the day for drinks or food at the bar which seems a little odd for a Convention Center hotel, and during the FIFA Soccer World Cup, that was going on during our stay. Room service ends early in the evening, so no late night room service, and there is only daily pay-for Wi-Fi internet service (not included for hotel guests) which is pretty cheesy this day and age in a hotel, especially one connected to a Convention Center. The outdoor pool is nice, clean and warm, and stays open pretty late. The location of the hotel downtown is convenient for walking to local restaurants and the Technology Museum is only a block away. We were there during the 4th of July week, so the fireworks display provided by the city of SJ were right close to the hotel and were spectacular! Freeway access to travel to San Francisco is close and convenient, and only about 35-40 minutes away depending on traffic, and the SJ Airport is only about 15 minutes away from the hotel. All in all, the hotel is nice, clean, and a good bet if you want to be close to everything and/or especially if your there for the Convention Center.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent family event and for writing a review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and efficient and that you enjoyed our food, bar, pool, and the convenience of our proximity to the Convention Center and downtown area. We appreciate your comments regarding our restaurant and room service hours, and we will pass this feedback along to management. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the San Jose Marriott again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
oxnard
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott in downtown San Jose recently. First location wise, it was perfect. Central to all city attractions, and walking distance to almost all. A very nice location which is safe, clean and pleasant.
Second the Marriott was exceptional. Let me say that we travel extensively and when we have an option Marriott is our very first choice. This preference has been earned over a lot of years, and we can say we have a good comparison base. Regarding this visit, we really cannot say enough. From the time we made our reservations on-line (and I'd like to say we believe we received a wonderful value) to the time we sadly had to get in our car to depart we could not have been happier. The service throughout was first class. Everyone, and I mean everyone, was gracious, friendly, helpful, and confirmed that our allegiance to Marriott is not misplaced. Obviously we will be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott for your recent stay! We are so glad to hear that you and your wife were able to enjoy the wonderful city attractions that San Jose has to offer and that you found your experience with us to be so delightful. We are especially to happy to hear that our staff were so accommodating and friendly. Creating an exceptional experience for our guests is our foremost goal! We appreciate your positive comments so much. Thank you for your continued loyalty to Marriott hotels, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to San Jose.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I was attending an event in the attached conference centre, which made it extremely convenient. The room was great, quite large and had a decent view. Nothing special, but nothing bad either. It's near everything you want to be near in San Jose, which isn't much.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We are so glad that you chose to stay with us during your recent event. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room and the views. We hope that you were able to enjoy the San Jose area during your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you’re in town!
Malibu, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

It's possible I have reviewed this property before, but if I did it would have been some time ago. Just stayed there and I have to say...an excellent property with an excellent staff. Jesse at the front desk is pretty much a legend there, and it's well deserved. A true gentleman who prides himself on providing top notch service to guests. Rooms are bright and clean, beds are awesome. Probably the best concierge lounge of the many hotels I frequent. This place is almost always 100% occupied, so book in advance when possible. Some great restaurants within a couple of blocks. Great hotel.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott once again! We are so happy to hear that you found our accommodations to be so exceptional. We will pass along the great feedback on our front desk staff to our team! We appreciate the positive comments on our concierge lounge, as well. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found some great local dining. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The upgraded suite was perfect, with kids it made all of the difference. Location is awesome and the rooms are very clean, modern and well taken care of. HD channels are nice when you are winding down. AC works really well. Walking distance to a lot of restaurants (fast food or finer dinning), lots of bars, coffee shops near by as well. I will definitely stay here again on my travels to SF and SJ.

Room Tip: Rooms on North Side was a bit louder due to light rail going thru but it was not bad, although north...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott! We are so happy to hear that your family enjoyed the suite. We’re thrilled that you had the opportunity to explore the San Jose area. There are so many great things to do and see! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I do think this hotel is ideal if you are attending a conference at The San Jose Conference center (because it is one door away of it) or if you are doing business n the downtown area because it is located in the heart of the downtown.

The hotel has a couple of restaurants that didn’t surprise me because they have a very limited menu and it was very conventional. The room service menu was more limited so I decided to go out for diner.

I found that the hotel is a walk distance from a very noce area (1st ave) full of really good Bars and restaurants so I got better value from my money as I was able to have a delicious diner way cheaper than what I had to pay at the hotel rest

The room was okay and the bathroom was big and clean. The noise isolation was not that good so I’ll recommend you to say away from any room close to the elevators unless you want to hear how often people use those at 2 AM 

The staff in the lobby is very courteous and willing o help you. During my 3 days I saw all of them with a big smile and welcoming people passing by which means a lot for me as am the type of guy that always say good morning and expect and answer’

Valet parking is fast but pricey (normal abusive California rates) however you can park your car at the convention center parking for $20/day and walk few steps.

Check-out and check-in process is very fast and effortless so they know very well how to meet guest expectations in terms of speed

What I didn’t like at all was the micro starbucks coffee shop/ gift shop/mini market all-in-one located in the lobby area because I got non-fresh pasties 2 days in a row and decided to do not give another shoot. The first day I ordered a muffin to later realize in the middle of the highway that it was not fresh, the 2nd day I ordered a chocolate croissant and tried it right there and to return it for the same reason. I exchanged it for a non-chocolate croissant and it was the same. I complained that this does not makes sense as it was 7:30 am so stuff should be fresh

Will I return? Yes and it is not because the hotel itself (it was not that spectacular) but because location, cleanliness and staff service

Room Tip: Away from elevators
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thank you for writing a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your positive feedback about our great location, our rooms and particularly our friendly and welcoming staff. We take great pride in our guest services! Thank you for your honest feedback regarding the breakfast items, as it helps us to maintain and improve our guest experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

The chemical warfare going on in my room did NOT make me happy when I arrived! I am severely allergic to this stuff and did not expect a problem at a major hotel chain that I frequent regularly. I called down and they offered to send up some kind of ionizer and switch out my bedding with 'green bedding'...um why not just use them in all of the rooms, why do I have to specially request a chemical-free room??? Apparently you need to request a clean-air room in advance...not sure how I would know that when I've never stayed at a Marriott that sprayed my room with chemicals before, but I guess now I know. As far as the rest of the room...I don't know because I was gagging and had to leave immediately. We'll see how the ionizer works when I return.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott for your recent stay. It is our foremost goal to create a comfortable and relaxing room environment for our guests. We apologize if the cleaning supplies used presented a problem, but we are glad to hear that the issue was resolved quickly and efficiently. We are delighted to provide chemical-free rooms when requested by our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your honest feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Been to San Jose Marriott? Share your experiences!