“Standard business fare” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Standard business fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I was attending an event in the attached conference centre, which made it extremely convenient. The room was great, quite large and had a decent view. Nothing special, but nothing bad either. It's near everything you want to be near in San Jose, which isn't much.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
We are so glad that you chose to stay with us during your recent event. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room and the views. We hope that you were able to enjoy the San Jose area during your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you’re in town!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Malibu, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

It's possible I have reviewed this property before, but if I did it would have been some time ago. Just stayed there and I have to say...an excellent property with an excellent staff. Jesse at the front desk is pretty much a legend there, and it's well deserved. A true gentleman who prides himself on providing top notch service to guests. Rooms are bright and clean, beds are awesome. Probably the best concierge lounge of the many hotels I frequent. This place is almost always 100% occupied, so book in advance when possible. Some great restaurants within a couple of blocks. Great hotel.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott once again! We are so happy to hear that you found our accommodations to be so exceptional. We will pass along the great feedback on our front desk staff to our team! We appreciate the positive comments on our concierge lounge, as well. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found some great local dining. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The upgraded suite was perfect, with kids it made all of the difference. Location is awesome and the rooms are very clean, modern and well taken care of. HD channels are nice when you are winding down. AC works really well. Walking distance to a lot of restaurants (fast food or finer dinning), lots of bars, coffee shops near by as well. I will definitely stay here again on my travels to SF and SJ.

Room Tip: Rooms on North Side was a bit louder due to light rail going thru but it was not bad, although north...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott! We are so happy to hear that your family enjoyed the suite. We’re thrilled that you had the opportunity to explore the San Jose area. There are so many great things to do and see! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I do think this hotel is ideal if you are attending a conference at The San Jose Conference center (because it is one door away of it) or if you are doing business n the downtown area because it is located in the heart of the downtown.

The hotel has a couple of restaurants that didn’t surprise me because they have a very limited menu and it was very conventional. The room service menu was more limited so I decided to go out for diner.

I found that the hotel is a walk distance from a very noce area (1st ave) full of really good Bars and restaurants so I got better value from my money as I was able to have a delicious diner way cheaper than what I had to pay at the hotel rest

The room was okay and the bathroom was big and clean. The noise isolation was not that good so I’ll recommend you to say away from any room close to the elevators unless you want to hear how often people use those at 2 AM 

The staff in the lobby is very courteous and willing o help you. During my 3 days I saw all of them with a big smile and welcoming people passing by which means a lot for me as am the type of guy that always say good morning and expect and answer’

Valet parking is fast but pricey (normal abusive California rates) however you can park your car at the convention center parking for $20/day and walk few steps.

Check-out and check-in process is very fast and effortless so they know very well how to meet guest expectations in terms of speed

What I didn’t like at all was the micro starbucks coffee shop/ gift shop/mini market all-in-one located in the lobby area because I got non-fresh pasties 2 days in a row and decided to do not give another shoot. The first day I ordered a muffin to later realize in the middle of the highway that it was not fresh, the 2nd day I ordered a chocolate croissant and tried it right there and to return it for the same reason. I exchanged it for a non-chocolate croissant and it was the same. I complained that this does not makes sense as it was 7:30 am so stuff should be fresh

Will I return? Yes and it is not because the hotel itself (it was not that spectacular) but because location, cleanliness and staff service

Room Tip: Away from elevators
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thank you for writing a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your positive feedback about our great location, our rooms and particularly our friendly and welcoming staff. We take great pride in our guest services! Thank you for your honest feedback regarding the breakfast items, as it helps us to maintain and improve our guest experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

The chemical warfare going on in my room did NOT make me happy when I arrived! I am severely allergic to this stuff and did not expect a problem at a major hotel chain that I frequent regularly. I called down and they offered to send up some kind of ionizer and switch out my bedding with 'green bedding'...um why not just use them in all of the rooms, why do I have to specially request a chemical-free room??? Apparently you need to request a clean-air room in advance...not sure how I would know that when I've never stayed at a Marriott that sprayed my room with chemicals before, but I guess now I know. As far as the rest of the room...I don't know because I was gagging and had to leave immediately. We'll see how the ionizer works when I return.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott for your recent stay. It is our foremost goal to create a comfortable and relaxing room environment for our guests. We apologize if the cleaning supplies used presented a problem, but we are glad to hear that the issue was resolved quickly and efficiently. We are delighted to provide chemical-free rooms when requested by our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your honest feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I am in a hotel 4 of 7 days each week. The room was airy and clean. plenty of electrical outlets at the desk and there was a quality high speed internet access. I had access to the club level lounge which had he best hotel "free" breakfast I have seen in years (at least in the U.S.). Deck that was attached to breakfast area offered a wonderful view.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for choosing San Jose Marriott for your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you were so impressed with our rooms, the club level lounge and our beautiful views. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Maui, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We recently stayed at the Marriott in San Jose. The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and helpful. He went above and beyond. The rooms were worn and not very appealing. Our room was missing one of the closet doors. The bed was okay but pillows were minimal. We had to call down for extras, which were brought up. The bathroom okay. Extra towels were provided to us. They have switched from providing shower bar soap to shower gel. Okay if that's what you like but I still prefer the bar soap. We had a room next to the elevators and it was surprisingly quiet. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. Opt for parking and breakfast to be included in your nightly rate. The downstairs bar was quiet one night and very busy the next. It was pleasant when it wasn't busy but a nightmare when it was. Check out was fast and friendly. Location couldn't be beat as we had an easy time walking around the area. When we had to drive somewhere, it was easy to get to where we were going.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. We are thrilled to know that you experienced efficient and friendly service throughout your stay. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed breakfast in Arcadia and that our location was convenient for you. We appreciate your comments on the rooms and pillows. It is our goal to create an comfortable and relaxing room environment for our guests and we will use your review to help direct us toward that goal. We hope to have the chance to serve you again in your future travels!