“Good hotel for business travellers” 4 of 5 stars

$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ireland
“Good hotel for business travellers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

I booked Marriott San Jose for a business meeting and company Christmas party.

It honors what I am used to have from Marriott: good service, comfortable, spacious, clean and well equipped rooms and friendly staff.

The location is very convenient to access a number of Silicon Valley companies.

I have to disagree with some reviews. It is indeed not a bargain, but it is not bad for the quality and location.

• Liked — spacious and clean rooms
  • Disliked — not strongly committed to some frequent flyer programs, even though it is listed as participant
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

I am surprised at the poor reviews of this hotel. I have very high standards and found this Marriott to be a very nice place. I was here for a conference and had a very pleasant experience. The valet service was excellent and one attendant came running in the hotel to give me my cell phone which I had left in the car. The front desk staff was very friendly and let me check in four hours early! When I arrived in the room, I received a call to make sure everything was fine. The room was in good shape. The hotel does need an update, but it is clean and well maintained. The gym is large and looks great. Room service was always early and the food was decent but not great. The conference areas were fine. This is not a five star hotel, but the location is great as you can walk to wonderful restaurants.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

This should be a great hotel, but is already looking tired. $18 bucks for a full buffet breakfast - did not even have pancakes for the buffet and only three types of sliced fruit. Had much better at hotels where breakfast is included in the price. Coffee shop at hotel needs a lot of love - almost nothing in display cases and just a very poorly set up place. Would not take much be a great facility. I would pass on this hotel.

Stayed February 2008
Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

I stayed 2 nights to attend a seminar at the hotel.

Self-parking is unmarked and difficult to find. Enter the Convention Center parking garage on the north side of the building. Hotel parking is well-marked inside the garage, but not outside! It's a fairly long walk from parking to the hotel lobby (through the Convention Center), so drop off luggage and passengers at the front of the hotel before self-parking.

The room was standard Marriott....clean and in good repair but nothing spectacular. My room was directly next to the elevator lobby and right under the airport approach. But the soundproofing was excellent and I barely heard the planes or elevators. There were no "blackout" window blinds, so bring eyeshades if light bothers your sleep.

Lunch, beverages, and a reception were catered by the hotel. The food was fresh and a good selection was provided. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant.

I heard a lot of complaints about the cost and quality of wireless access. You would think a business hotel in Silicon Valley would provide it for free. I needed to go online briefly, so walked into the Convention Center lobby and used their free WiFi signal.

The fitness facility had a better than average selection of machines, treadmills, and free weights. The rooftop pool is adjacent but I didn't use it. Towels are provided and housekeeping was cleaning all the equipment while I was there.

The San Jose Marriott is a good quality business hotel but a bit pricey. I recommend it if you have business in the area but there are better choices for pleasure travelers.

• Liked — Convenient to Convention Center, downtown, and airport
  • Disliked — Expensive for the services offered
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Foster City, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

I usually write a glowing review of the San Jose Marriott and I did in 2007 but I realized I never wrote a follow up to my experience of losing my wedding rings. I packed my wedding rings in our luggage prior to leaving, or so I thought, when we returned, the rings were no longer there. I know we had left the room for a few hours to get breakfast and then have the bell hop help us out. I contacted the manager and he said he did an investigation but my rings never showed up. They were not as responsive with the follow up from my initial requests as I would have liked and now we are just trying to get the hotel to follow up with our insurance claim. I am disappointed this occurred, I will most likely stay there again next year but I do need to be more vigilant of my valuables.

Stayed August 2007
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

I just can't believe I never wrote a review about this Hotel. After reading some of the reviews about the Marriott San Jose, I asked myself, Are these people for real????

I stay at this Hotel one or two time per week, YES, you heard right.
I defenetely love this Hotel. I have never had the Valet experience but everything else is just great.

When you come in the Lobby is beautiful, always playing some groovy music at the same time very relaxing. Very large lobby with very funky furniture. The front desk staf is soooo friendy and always very helpful. I feel like Im back home when I stay here. Did I mention is right Down town San Jose, close to everything.

The room are just beautiful with great views of the mountains (some rooms) or down town San Jose. Also very clean and confortably large. So many restaurants around, but the Restaurant at the Hotel is also delicious. The bartender downstairs from Spain is very sweetand also very good.

I work for Jetblue and I this is one of my favorites hotels. If you have a chance to got to the Concierge , OH MY GOD!!! The food is wonderful and the staff there is one of the best. She will treat you like a movie star.

The pool is wonderful and they have the best Gym ever.

I also stayed at the Hilton next door once and it was not that good. I defenetely recomend the Marriott San Jose for your next visit or vacation. You will love this Hotel.

• Liked — Staff friendliness and location
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Las Vegas, Nv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

Our confirmed booking was not honored. Had they been unable to accomodate our specific requests, we would have stayed elsewhere. We had to compromise with something else since we were on our way to attend a memorial service.

The rooms are on the small side, the curtains are see-thru (no blackouts or heavier curtains); the king bed was very comfortable with big plush pillows, and high-quality sheets; the shower head was great, as well as water pressure, and the bath products were from Bath & Body Works. Overall, the room looked clean, and it was relatively quiet, considering it's in d.t. San Jose.

The unfortunate thing about this hotel is that guests are forced to use the valet for $25/day (hint: there are other parking lots nearby), and the day after we returned home, I discovered that my fairly large box of smoked salmon was nowhere to be found. I should've listened to my instincts when I noticed that at check out, our car radio was left on when neither my husband or I had used it since we left home. I'm not going to end up on the soup line for this missing item, but it is astounding that some valet guy would steal from us when we always tipped more than the usual.

There are many other hotels in the area that could probably equal, if not, surpass this hotel's comfortable accomodations, and the guests need not worry about getting robbed. It is highly unlikely I will be back.

• Liked — The king bed.
  • Disliked — The booking and the valet.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to San Jose Marriott? Share your experiences!