“checked out into the fairmont” 1 of 5 stars

Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“checked out into the fairmont”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I came in from east coast after 6 hr flight and hr drive from sfo to be told that there was a water leak and hotel was out of rooms. They showed us to basically some sofa beds that they had pulled into lounge.Mattresses were falling through metal frame. I nearly laughed in their face for suggesting and expecting full rate. Only after refusing and demanding did they locate a room an hr later. Manager refunded the night and offered another night. However, I had already booked at the Fairmont which was my initial choice. Nope will not return and rooms were just ok. It did have a nice lobby with cucumber or orange water.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Monterey Bay, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

The location of this Marriott makes it very convenient for attending conventions, but they are not prepared for handling the volume of customers conventions bring. After waiting in the valet line for 15 minutes, we were finally greeted and told a bellman would be a 30 minute wait. We decided to do the best we could at carrying our luggage and headed for the front desk line. At early check-in, all rooms with double beds had been taken, even though I had booked months in advance.
We were given the keys to our room and walked in to find a Telemundo swimsuit competition playing on the TV, mops, rags and our previous guests hair all over the bathroom floor. My daughter had to get ready for the convention, so we dropped our luggage and organized a bit. I headed out to see if housekeeping was around to finish the job, but no such luck. A "manager" of some sort opened our door and more or less implied we needed to leave. Hmmmm.......didn't your front desk have record that the room was ready and gave us keys?
Next stop was one of the restaurants for a drink. It was a self-service operation with employees unfamiliar with bar service working. It look a bit for anyone to figure out how to make a drink and where the products were stored. This was the theme for the rest of our visits, but the employees working at Tanq seemed a bit more knowledgable. Other patrons were showing frustration as well, due to NO service in the restaurant/bar area.
The next day we received the gift of no housekeeping. My husband did walk by a room with a couple employees on a bed watching TV, so maybe it was their break or rest period which diverted them.
The rooms are a bit dated and luckily I had secured a good rate with early booking. I've never left a hotel without tipping housekeeping, but this was my first. The in-room coffee machine will come in handy as the line at their lobby Starbucks was impossible. There is also a Peet's on the opposite side of the convention center by the Hilton which seems to process orders much more efficiently.
It was convenient only. A few months prior we had stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton which is only a block or so away from the convention center. Between the two, I'd pick the Four Points.

Hickman, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed here for the Good Teaching Conference 2/3-2/5. Upon our arrival we were told that we didn't book early enough to get a room with two beds. I explained that we had booked in October and our friends who booked the week before were able to get a room with two beds. She lied to us and said that they had booked in September. We had to speak to a manager to get what we needed, but after much discussion they found a room with two beds. I have stayed here before and not experienced that kind of trouble, so maybe she was just crabby. The room was average, nothing to write home about. But the hotel is in a good location. There is a moderate walk to the nearest Starbucks and lots of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Room Tip: Be sure to get written confirmation of your room type so you don't have to waste time when you g...
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I am a Marriott points member, but with very few points. Nonetheless we were given a very nice corner room on 22nd floor. The hotel room was quite nice and we had amazing views from the room. I was there for only one night, so was only able to use the fitness room once, but it was adequate and they also have a pool right next to the fitness room on the 3rd floor. We did have one major inconvenience that I would say the hotel acted promptly on. The bathroom had a malfunction in the morning and even though we were checking out in a few hours, the front desk easily and promptly moved us to another room without any hesitation. They also allowed us a generous late checkout which was also much appreciated.

Room Tip: high floor, corner rooms have 90 degree views of SJ and surrounding silicon valley.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The hotel was very busy when I arrived that I didn't get the king bed room that I had asked for, but at least they were able to put me on a quieter floor. My room was a bit dated but clean and in good condition. Service at the check-in counter was quick and very friendly.

I also used the fitness centre which had a decent number and variety of cardio and weight machines. It could also use some updating, but everything was in working order.

The one downside (at least for me) was that their only option for parking is valet. There was one day in particular where it took 35-40 minutes to get my car, to the point where I was nearly late for a meeting. However, most of the time it was a 5-10 minute wait.

Overall, I would say this is a standard marriott and consistent with the other Marriotts I've stayed at.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

The San Jose Marriott is located downtown next to the convention center and, as a result, is in walking distance to most of San Jose's attractions. I recently spent 1 night at the hotel with my son as we were attending a sporting event at the HP Pavillion and everything was quite good. Valet parking is the only parking option at the hotel and it was fairly quick although we did wait about 10 minutes on check-out to get the car (to be fair, however, they did advise us in advance it would be about 10 minutes). Check-in was very quick and exceptionally pleasant and we were given a nice corner room on the 17th floor with a view of downtown. The room was very clean and was in good shape although the beds were a little soft for my liking. We ate breakfast the next morning in Arcadia and had the buffet. The selection was fine and the service was good but the food was nothing special. Overall, this is a standard Marriott and offered a fine, consistent stay--no suprises and Marriott quality. I would certainly not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask of room overlooking downtown as the otherviews are not as nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The price of this room did not reflect the value of my stay. The rooms are much smaller than the Fairmont and the price was about the same. The hot water in the shower was not consistent and the maid service forgot to leave the breakfast room service request in my room (a big deal when you get back to your room at 9pm after a long day at work). I am not in a rush to come back here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to San Jose Marriott? Share your experiences!