“Must see if love architecture” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 140 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1876, this church serves the oldest parish in San Jose.
Fort Worth, Texas
43 attraction reviews
“Must see if love architecture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I love looking at older churches. I grew up with a gothic one, and try to see any in my travels that I can.

Beautiful scenes everywere you look! Ceilings, walls, and the marble floors are nothing to overlook.

The baptismal font is huge and HEATED!!! I expected it to be cold, and tentatively, and look to see if I had touched the water. Nice! Since marble churches are usually cool, the added touch kept me feeling warm throughout the tour.

I took my protestant husband with me. He, too, was impressed. The murals are incredible. We stopped at every statue and looked up. It appears as if each apostle looked down on us.

the alter itself was in the middle of the room. Behind where the altar usually stands was a 'grotto' of sorts. It had a kneeler with the tabernacle.

I am having a tough time coming up with the words to how warm, inviting, and serene this cathedral make me.

The bookstore is right next door, and it appeared as if Catholic Social Services were there, too. Many 'down on their luck' appearing people were waiting in line to speak to someone in a window.

Visited September 2012

Austin, Texas
64 attraction reviews
“A Greek Cross Shape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This church was well restored about 15 years ago. It is lovely inside. I the Fall and Winter it can tend to be very cold due to placement of the doors. There are special musical events that are lovely to experience.

Visited April 2012
San Jose, California
7 attraction reviews
“Love this cathedral”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Beautiful and I was baptized there! Lovely homilies and great atmosphere. Music is wonderful. You really feel the awe in this church.

San Jose, California
34 attraction reviews
“Breat taking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My 2 grandaughters were baptised here. I have attended many weddings & funerals here. The inside, is full of saints and sinners. Here you can come and not be judged. You can sit for 5 minutes or 5 hours. There is a free Health Clinic for ther homeless. Located in the middle of San Jose.

Visited October 2012
11 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This church was so beautiful!!! In the middle of hussle and bussle but as soon as you step foot inside it was all quiet. You instantly feel a sense of calmness and it makes you slow down. It just give you a spirtitual recharge a reminder of wgat is important!!! A must see.