“All Meetings Should Be This Good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dolce Hayes Mansion

Save Saved
You added Dolce Hayes Mansion to your Saves list
Dolce Hayes Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Edenvale Avenue, San Jose, CA 95136 (Formerly Hayes Conference Center)   |
Ranked #3 of 72 hotels in San Jose
Fresno, California
“All Meetings Should Be This Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Having known about this property and staying here for the occasional getaway weekend, the Hayes Mansion was on my short list of options when tasked with a major meeting just 3 months before the event date.

Right from the start the process was easy. Kerry Kuhl, Senior Sales Manger, was professional and understood our needs so that the initial proposal was accurate and what we asked for. The site inspection was well prepared and I was afforded all the time I needed to see the property and meet the staff I would be working with including Cedric Fasbender, General Manager. Cedric set the expectations of what we could expect from the team and boy did they deliver!

Starting out fairly simple and straitforward, our week-long meeting morphed into a bit of a production requiring much more that we originally planned. Every single change and challenge was met with cheerful and helpful suggestions to make everything happen. Inga Stephenson, CMP, was a pleasure to work with - no request was too much, too big or too late, and trust me - we had A LOT of last minute changes to our program. From working with an attendee headcount that significantly exceeded our original estimates, to the last minute requests for vegan meals, it was never a problem to make it happen.

The property itself is a sprawling, beautifully appointed facility, with state of the art AV. The meeting rooms in the mansion were all unique and had lots of natural light. No cavernous, box like meeting rooms here. Even with the windows and balconies, it was still easy to see a PowerPoint presentation. We also used the Edenvale Ballroom, which was roomy enough for our attendance of 200, and well appointed with professional AV personnel (great job, Coy).

The sleeping rooms are comfortable, VERY clean and easily accessible from both the mansion meeting rooms and the convention center. The beds were comfy and it was quiet every night. The WiFi signals were strong and I had no trouble accessing the internet from my room or the meeting rooms.

One of the most important items for our group when it comes to week-long meetings is the quality of the food. Every night our staff was treated to exquisite cuisine in different beautiful surroundings throughout the mansion. From a taco bar, to a family style dinner, to a full barbeque and desserts, nobody went hungry. Breakfast and lunch were equally delicious and offered variety beyond the norm. Even the break refreshments were different and tasty. My attendees raved every day about the food offerings and looked forward to what was going to be served next.

I have been doing meetings like this for over 10 years and it is a rare experience to have everything just fall into place. This meeting, with its constantly changing program, had the potential for some "onsite stress" - but it went flawlessy thanks to the efforts of the Hayes Mansion Team. Every employee was helpful and resposive to whatever we needed, whenever we needed it. As a meeting coordinator, I wouldn't hesitate to return and refer others to this gem.

438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Amateur hotel with unprofessional presentation and service. Truly dissapointing.

This hotel is no where near the service/quality of a Marriott, Hilton, or W property. They need to raise the bar in all respects.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HayesMansion, Front Office Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your honest review. We are truly sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our property. We strive for excellence in service and product and judging by your review we did not meet those standards.

We would love the opportunity to have you back at our property so that we may turn your negative comparison of us into a positive lasting memory.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is my first time staying at this hotel. It's very impressive historical building. Though it's been built for years, the maintenance is very good, you can find free WiFi everywhere in the hotel area and in the guest rooms!
Hotel provides very good service and their staff remembers what you really need.

I love their breakfast buffet - fresh orange juice, my favourite bagels can be found there, and of course other breakfast items and the station for eggs ( fried eggs, omlette )...

Drinks near the pool is also good, especially now - the temperature is so pleasant there.

I like the beef steak and lobster at dinner, clam chowder was so yummy!!!!

I like this hotel very much!

Room Tip: If you stay at 2/F, there's the balcony. Dirnks (wine) with your friends there - will be very n...
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel is beautiful outside, but the decor inside isn't great. I don't think it was good in 1903 when it was built, and the restorers took their cue from it. It's a bit dated as well with the exception of the patio restaurant which was cool, comfy, and had incredible food. Super nice staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here because it was near the home of the brides family as we went up attend a bridal shower. Since I have 5 month old twins we wanted a nice hotel for my husband to stay in while I attended the shower.
We opted for a suite since I had read the rooms were on the small side. I loved the layout! We had a room right off the pool and a table and chairs set up on the pool patio with an access gate to keep it private. There is a small living area off the bed area which would be nice if we brought my mom like we originally planned, as it had a door you could close for privacy. We had enough room for all the baby gear and the check in clerks were a great help getting all of the gear to the room.
Our room came with free breakfast at the restaurant and at $15 pp I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't included. As it was labor day weekend it was very crowded and they ran out of items such as brown sugar and pineapple. They had a made to order egg station which I loved but you could wait forever or have no wait ( I experienced both).
There is a park right next door for runners and families with small children but you need a car to get to anything else. We enjoyed our stay so much that though the wedding is in Gilroy we are planning on staying here again and driving.

• Stayed September 2012
Raunheim, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at Hayes Mansion for the 2. time and it was as great as before. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious and clean. I have a suggestion for breakfast: why not put coffee cans on the tables or on the buffet? We sat in a corner most of the time and the waiters always had a long way and we drink a lot of coffee. When restaurant full, they really cannot be everywhere the same time. Why not get silver-looking thermos pots and the guests can help themselves?
Otherwise breakfast was very yummy and the waiters were very helpful and friendly. So was all the staff in the hotel: FO, housekeeping and so on!
I am ready to return any time!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are a little noisy in the early morning due to service trucks and early birds...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had a room in the Conference Hall. My room was comfortable and clean. The hotel and surrounding grounds were very nicely landscape and provided a restful escape during my business trip. The hotel is in a residential neighborhood so you have to drive if you want to go out to eat. The main restaurant was good for breakfast (skip the buffet line, pick the omelet station) but over-priced and tasteless for dinner. The lounge/bar menu was a much better value with better service.

Room Tip: Ask for a King Size room in the Conference Hall
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Dolce Hayes Mansion? Share your experiences!