“Friendly and Accommodating!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   817 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95120   |
Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in San Jose
“Friendly and Accommodating!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We always stay here while attending any nearby events, not only because of proximity, but because the staff is always friendly and accommodating. Employees are always friendly and willing to assist in any way they can but this weekend I had the opportunity to chat awhile with the weekend manager and he was especially great! ~ made suggestions, printed my airline passes and helped me with directions! There's a small patio area available for small groups to gather in front of the hotel. It's close to the Arena which provides easy access without any hassle. We've been coming here for years and these folks are always great! We'll be back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oakhurst, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Have stayed here several times and has always been a good stay. Although it is part of a chain it gives a homey feel. Employees are friendly and the rooms are more than adequate. I very much appreciate the in room Jacuzzi. The breakfast is better than most free meals I have had at other hotels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

There is no better place to stay if you are headed for a game. There is probably no other good reason to stay here. The Sharks arena is an easy walk, so go to the game, come back, sleep, leave. Great plan! You can also get extra air miles for staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Don't be fooled by the decent exterior looks -- the Arena Hotel is run by incompetent and uncaring individuals. Some friends and I booked a room to stay in after a concert at the SAP Center (formerly HP Pavilion). There were some minor issues during check-in to get a room with two beds, but everything was generally fine until the following morning.

My friend was searching for a shoe under one of the beds and her blind groping returned an opened condom box and two condom wrappers. Surprise, this room is disgusting! When we called the front desk to inform them of our problem, we were treated with skepticism. No offer to clean the room was made. When we confronted the front desk personnel, no offer for compensation or refund was made. I was told that the manager of the hotel would call me the following day when he or she returned to work.

Three days later, I had not received a call from the manager, so I called the hotel. The front desk person told me the normal manager was on vacation, but that I could speak to the interim manager. Of course the transfer to the manager's line went to voice mail. I left a stern, but reasonable message regarding the foul state of the room during our stay and requested a call back from either manager. I never received a response.

Hotel experiences are rarely perfect, but the customer service at the Arena Hotel is particularly terrible. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's unacceptable for those mistakes to impact the health and safety of your customers. Furthermore, it's a slap in the face when no attempt is made to make up for those mistakes. We will never stay at the Arena Hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Cool, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

While the service and cleanliness were very good, but I really hate small, square pillows for sleeping! I want nice, normal- or large-size, fluffy pillows on my bed (many hotels put both on the beds these days). The TV was too small for the room and no on-screen guide for what's on. One big plus was the large tub with jets, but I didn't use it. You don't see that very often. The breakfast was o.k. too, but instant coffee made by a machine??? Oh, please! It was awful!! Thank goodness there is a good coffee shop (Hannah's) just across and down the street. Next time, I would skip the breakfast at the hotel and just do it at Hannah's.

Room Tip: Ask for bigger pillows (I don't know if they are even available).
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Orem, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The hotel was pretty rundown, and my room smelled strongly of chemicals when I arrived, so it wasn't the best first impression. However, the following morning when I was running late for a meeting and needed something printed (there was no printer in their "business center", which consisted of just a desk and a computer) the front desk allowed me to email the documents to them and they printed them off for me. I was very impressed with the customer service too, both at check-in and check-out.

So, while I don't think I would ever stay there again...it is definitely through no fault of the workers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Wash. DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I just wrote a review of an awful place in Safety Harbor, FL, and could only compare to the worst of all: Arena Hotel. Which reminded me to say a few words on its behalf. The Arena is the single most depressing, dated, jerry-rigged place I've ever checked into. I was booked for an event in the San Jose area, and the organizers put me there. As a result, I'll also never work with that organization again. I don't even know where to start with this disgusting dump, but just make sure you never, never, never stay there. Sleep in your car if you have to, or find a park bench. Stay away from the Arena.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Arena Hotel? Share your experiences!