“Dated, but comfortable and good value” 4 of 5 stars

Arena Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   817 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95120   |
Ranked #31 of 72 hotels in San Jose
Mission Viejo, CA
“Dated, but comfortable and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed three nights at the Arena Hotel. It is close to, but not in, downtown San Jose and very close to the HP Pavilion. While it definitely needs to be updated, it was clean and the room was large. I was in a two queen room on the third floor. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub/shower which was very large. The bed was very comfortable and toiletries were provided. The room also had a small refrigerator/freezer, coffeemaker, microwave, hairdryer, ironing board/iron, and a small desk area. The Wi-Fi was free. They had HBO on the TV, but no option to purchase movies. My room overlooked the interior courtyard so there was no street noise. Another bonus is that it has its own parking so you do not have to pay extra like you would downtown. Breakfast was provided as well. It wasn't fancy, but it covered what most people would be looking for. The staff was friendly and helpful. As a woman traveling alone, I would not have walked around the area at night. They lock the front doors from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and you use your room key to get in. The area is a little on the fringe. But, I would go back because of the comfort, the price and having parking and breakfast included with the room. I have certainly paid a lot more in the area and got less for my money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed 7 days at the Arena Hotel. We were hesitant at first after reading the lower ratings, but the Arena turned out to be a very satisfying place. The breakfasts were great. The room was large and clean. Parking was plentiful and secure. The location was in a decent neighborhood. Next door was a CVS store. The HP arena was a very short walk away. It is close to downtown and the freeways. There were a few little distractions, i.e., some peeling wall paper, cigarette burns on the jacuzzi edge, but this is what I call very minor. Certainly will stay here again. Oh, yes, the bed was comfortable enough, and the HVAC good.

Room Tip: Couples must choose the Executive King.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is nicely located for travelers to Silicon Valley and it is reasonably priced. The location is close to downtown San Jose and the Pavilion, as well as the central San Jose train station for trips into San Francisco or the East Bay.

The hotel does have an OK continental breakfast with some hot food as well as free wifi (Very slow and sporadic wifi I need to add. More like dialup speeds).

Hotel staff were friendly and my room was clean. I read other reviews that mentioned groups of people outside the hotel. During my stay there were British and Australian travelers that seemed to spend a lot of time at the tables outside. It didn't bother me.

Very convenient location for San Jose light rail and close to major freeways.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and although the hotel seemed full it was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Booked this based on Tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. Excellent value for money, with spacious rooms and courteous service. The hallways could have been vacuumed more effectively, but that was my only complaint. This is not a lavish hotel but offers quality accommodation for a bargain price. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Suggest asking for a room away from the road at the front since it is very busy. We enjoyed a great...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here one night before heading back to the east coast after a week in Yosemite and San Francisco. The hotel is not far from the airport (less than 10 minutes to drive) and located close to lots of restaurants.

It looked like it had been recently renovated, so the rooms were in pretty good shape (although the hallways looked kind of beat up). The rooms were a great size for 3 adults and the bathroom had a jacuzzi! The lobby and public areas of the hotel looked very nice and parking was plentiful. We did not have the free breakfast because our flight left too early, so I can't say anything about that.

The only con was that the walls were a little thin- the room next to us has some loud kids, but they were young enough to have to go to bed early, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

The rate could not be beat- very inexpensive for the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I canceled my reservation the day prior to my scheduled stay. I spoke to a lady that gave me a confirmation number confirming my cancelation, and she said that I would not be charged. She also said that if I changed my mind, there were plenty of rooms available. I did not stay there; however, my credit card originally had a pending charge for both nights I was scheduled to stay followed by an additional charge a few days later for another night. I called the hotel immediately, and a lady said she couldn't access my records and the manager was tending to personal business and would get back to me by the end of the night or the next day; I never received a call. I called a few days later and talked to a man who accessed my account, and he said that he did not show any charges on my account. Also, I sent an email on August 31, 2012 and did not receive a response until September 13. It stated that I canceled the same day and was charged for a night's stay. While my credit card no longer reflects the 2 night charge, it does reflect the one night charge as stated in the response. Not only was the response emailed 2 weeks after my original email and contained untrutful information, but the grammar was indicative of that of a student in their early elementary years. This is the first negative review that I've written about a hotel or restaurant. I'm a realist that knows that everyone has their bad days; however, this hotel's operational procedures appear too flawed at this time, and I don't want to see anyone else lose their money.

Room Tip: Choose a room.....at a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is an OK hotel that's very convenient because it's so close to downtown and, of course, the Arena. It's nicely landscaped and well maintained. The prices are great and include a breakfast and evening snacks. The room we had was clean, spacious and comfortable but tired. The place could use a facelift. Wi-Fi is included at no additional charge. Also Included in the room was a coffee maker, microwave, frig, make-up mirror and hair dryer. The location is a bit noisey but not too bad. I'd go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Arena Hotel? Share your experiences!