“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vallejo, California
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at this Hilton in June 2014. Upon arrival, we were helped by Shelly at the front desk. She was very warm, attentive, and friendly. She recognized my gold level status and congratulated me and it was nice to feel like a VIP. Hilton pulled out the red carpet and there was a complimentary fruit bowl, slippers, and water waiting for us in our room. This was my first check-in as a gold status and didn't know there was already bottled water, when I asked Shelly, she gave me a bottle on the spot and it was well appreciated. Shelly was also nice enough to give you a comp for parking. I would definitely stay at this hilton again just because of Shelly!

The only con was that this building is beginning to show its age on the inside. Our room's shower could probably be re-grouted and treated for the hard-water stains. Some of the furniture showed signs of wear and tear (but it wasn't disgusting or unclean). The air condition in our room didn't seem to go below 65 degrees. We told front desk, they sent a repairman, repairman said it was working fine. Just wish it could get the room a little colder.

We went to the hotel's restaurant "Trinity" for the breakfast buffet. It had a large selection of western and eastern breakfast item. You had french toast next to dumplings and congee. Large selection of fresh fruits (including papaya! :D). Parfaits next to Beijing Yogurt. Espresso Machine next to Hot Soymilk. Etc.

The location is great if you have any interest in asian restaurants in the area. You will find a lot of good chinese and vietnamese restaurants in the area that are cheap and open late.

They share an underground parking garage with the other businesses on the property. At night there is a security guard that patrols it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I appreciated reading your very detaile overview of the hotel. I'm sure that you will be happy to know that we will start our rooms renovation in September and hope to have it completed by the middle of November. We look forward to having you return and experience our new rooms.
Carl Bolte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed at this hotel a few times, 7 years ago. Was not impressed. The rooms were clean and decent but they were not like other Hilton Hotels that I had stayed at. Last month, I stayed here overnight. What a difference! The room was very clean and well maintained. There was a feeling of luxury with the attention to details and the amenities. I understand there was a change in general mangers since the last time I stayed here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I enjoyed seeing that you decided to try us again and were pleased with your stay. We are constantly trying to improve and I'm glad that you noticed the difference.
Minneapolis, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

room was clean and everything was in place. It was in a great location. It was near shopping center, restaurants. Everything in walking distance. Was at the hotel for a Wedding. The Hilton provided spacious room for the hotel. I was surprised. The hotel looked tidy, clean, professional.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It was great to read that you enjoyed the area and the benefits that we have to offer. We do have many guests who stay at the hotel for special occasions such as weddings. We have a large ballroom that can accomodate up to 700 guests and there are several other venues in the general area. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to the area.
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed here for business because it looked like the closest Hilton property to Pasadena, where I needed to be the next morning. It was not really that close to Pasadena, as it turned out, but it was a rather nice place to stay, and I wished I'd had more time to explore the immediate surrounding area on foot.

Unbeknownst to me, San Gabriel Square, which is right across from the hotel, is a huge Chinese (real Chinese) shopping and dining area. Almost all of the signs I passed on the way to the hotel were in Chinese, and only some of them had English as well. The area seems to be quite the LA destination for Chinese tourists, and the hotel seems to serve as an events center for the community. When I arrived, the teenaged contestants from what appeared to be a local pageant (sashes, tiaras and all!) were gracefully stepping into their families' vehicles.

Perhaps as a result of the Asian influence, the service and cleanliness at this hotel were beyond reproach, and the prices were very, very competitive. My room was spacious and very comfortably appointed and boasted more amenities than would be typical at this price point (i.e., complimentary slippers, body wash in addition to soap). According to the signs, parking was extra, but the clerk who checked me in simply asked which space I'd parked in and what make/model of vehicle I drove, and no charge appeared on my bill. Even though my room overlooked what appeared to be the kitchen service entrance, I heard absolutely no noise.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your very informative review on Trip Advisor. I have noticed that some travelers are caught off guard by our location. Yes, we are located in a highly concentrated Asian neighborhood. I was glad to read that you were able to embrace our area and see the benefits of staying with us. We hope to see you again real soon.
SUGAR LAND,TX, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

IT'S GOOD FOR US. AND WE HAVE A perfect time with them. and I lost my Ipad in lobby, and I TAKE IT BACK FROM RECEIPTION. Thanks million for them to take care of it. It's very importnet for me. and it's very close to CHIAN TOWN AND DOWNTOWN. MANY CHINESE FOOD TO EAT, AND chinses tea to drink.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I was great to read that we were able to find your iPad. Also I was glad to see that you enjoyed the restaurants in our surrounding area. I have counted no less than 30 Asian restaurants within walking distance. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again real soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

I travel to LA for business a couple of times a year and I usually stay closer to downtown, but downtown hotels were either sold out or were very expensive, so I chose to sty a bit further outside of the city. This hotel was a great choice. My room was nice and I found the location convenient to restaurants, but it was the customer service that really impressed me. Everyone at the hotel was helpful & friendly. The breakfast buffet was great and the muffins were incredible. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I have received comments from guests similiar to yours about the benefits of staying in San Gabriel vs Downtown. For many who don't mind the commute we are a good alternative. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the breakfast especially the muffins. Our muffins are a Hilton recipe and we baked them in-house. They are also available at other Hilton Hotels.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

After landing, we went directly to San Gabriel where the hotel located. Good palm tree and car park area. Spacious lobby hall and nice sofa for rest and meeting friends. Big bedroom and bathroom. Cozy bedding. On the third floor is a big garden where guest may enjoy fresh air, town view, colorful flowers and plants. Even smoking if you liked. You can taste lots of Chinese food in this town! For breakfast New Taste is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and pointing out the different features of the hotel.
We are located in a highly populated Chinese neighborhood and I'm glad to read that you were able to enjoy it. Our Garden Terrace is one of our hidden gems that many guests never see. I'm glad that you found it. We use this area primarily for Weddings and Receptions and it is very popular with our local guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again real soon.
Carl Bolte

Been to Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel? Share your experiences!