“Great hotel in not the best area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in San Gabriel
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great hotel in not the best area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here overnight for business, and this was the closest Hilton to my destination. I thought my GPS took me to the wrong place. Not a very nice neighborhood. Everything in Korean. Nothing wrong with everything being in a Korean neighborhood, but no American restaurants 1 mile in any direction of the hotel (I eventually found a beat up KFC 10-15 blocks West of the hotel). Really old area.
That being said, the Hilton kind of rises up out of the ashes of the neighborhood. It's a really beautiful hotel. Inside was immaculate. Service staff was wonderful. Room was great. Even had a pair of packaged slippers available to use. No complaints at all about the hotel itself. The location was just a little odd. I arrived after hours and wouldn't have walked around the neighborhood by myself.

Room Tip: I had a room near the street. Noise from the main road was noticable. If I stayed again, I would ask...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your positive review of the hotel. We are located in a predominantly Chinese area. This makes us very popular for guests arriving from China but can be intimidating for our US Guests. We do try to accommodate everyone’s needs and it was great to see that you will return. If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future please let me know.

Carl Bolte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed here for five nights and found the hotel to be excellent. The staff were friendly and recommended several local Italian restaurants to us. The bedrooms were kept clean and the bathroom was spacious.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for the positive review of the hotel. We have been working on our list of restaurant recommendations. We have a large selection of Asian Restaurants in our area but we also have a number of fine restaurants that are close by that offer other cuisines. I'm glad that you enjoyed them.
Please come back soon.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed 5 days at this hotel, just got back, from Jan 13 to 18. Great place to eat and walk around a bit. Area is a bit run down depending on which way you walk. Restaurants everywhere, can never go hungry. Had breakfast and the wait staff is great. They remember you by face and always greet you when you come in. Beds were comfortable and maid service is great. Quite surprised when employees say hi. It was nice to know you were welcomed by staff.

Problems with the hotel are the front desk. I asked a couple questions that they should've known they weren't answered. I asked about mobile printing which I found out by myself. I asked about a restaurant which couldn't be found, I stood there about 5-10 minutes while she searched online. There was a sign that the pool was under maintenance until the 17th. It would've been nice when I booked that the pool couldn't be used. The 17th came and there was a sign that was until the 18th. Then when I checked out today, sign said the 28th. A bit of a disappointment, front desk should've told me when I checked in. Another thing is the business center, it's not on the second floor. I walked by three times to check the room, which was empty. Staff passed by and told me it was moved to where the front desk was. A simple thing like a sign could've helped, which they had no problem putting up for the pool.

Last negative, I asked front desk for help to get a ride to the airport. We had to argue with her for the time to pick up. Flight was at 7AM, car service wanted to pick us up at 3AM. Domestic flight, had to be there at least 6AM. Front desk said there was traffic, which I agreed on but it wasn't going to take 4 hours to get there. It went back and forth and told her to pick up at 4:30AM. She didn't seem too happy about the time change but booked us for the time anyway. This morning we waited for the cab. The guy didn't come, someone named Carlos for Union Car Company (something like that). Guys number ended up being disconnected. Why would front desk book car service for someone who wouldn't come. Front desk did help us get another one. I hope you get rid of Carlos' business cards because it was a big disappointment that he didn't arrive.

Rating should be 3.5 but I can't rate 1/2. 4 is too high

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the inconveniences that were caused by my front desk staff. I use all of my guest comments in my training sessions and will work with them on this. I also apologize for the pool being out of service during your stay. I didn’t anticipate the pool being out this long and I hope to have it back in operation soon. I understand your frustration with the cab service to the airport and I will look into the lack of service provided by Carlos. He has been with us for many years and normally does a good job. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will also add a sign to the location that was previously our business center. We recently added the new Hilton Connectivity Station to the lobby and part of the program is to relocate this service to the lobby. Hopefully these occurrences will not keep you from using us in the future. I noticed that you did have some positive experiences in the hotel and I’m confident that I can iron out the problems that impacted your stay. If I can be on any assistance with your future reservations at the hotel please let me know.
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We booked this hotel from its website and stayed for about a week in later September 2012 for a family trip to LA, and retuned in mid October 2012 stayed there for 3 more days. After 11 hours long flight, I really appreciated the check-in process was easy and quick only took less than a minute, the receptionist girl was helpful and friendly, you feel you are welcomed. First night, my kids were not used to the LA weather and woke up in the middle of night. I called front office and asked if they could deliver some water, a staff amazingly turned up at my door with bottles of water within 2 minutes. Next morning, I was not sure how to open the safe in the room; again, a technician turned up quickly and explained the instructions step by step. My room was serviced everyday, even provided a drawing book for each of my kids! Good restaurant! Great buffet breakfast with varieties, we love it! Particularly, the restaurant host was a very polite and friendly gentleman standing there every morning to greet every customer with smile every time; he is also a very nice guy to chat with. The hotel location is right in the centre of San Gabriel with Asian shops and restaurants. The area is good, I walked around the street 11pm at night a few times, did not feel anything unsafe. Parking was very easy at night! There are a lot of spaces at basement. This is a great hotel with 5 star customer services, and not to mention free Wifi and printing service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel and staff. I will relay your comments to my fellow team members to show them that their efforts are recognized and appreciated. It helps me to motivate them to constantly look at ways to create a positive guest experience. If I can ever help you with future stays at the hotel please let me know.

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Picked this hotel because it is very convenient for my meetings. Very nice hotel, and as other posters have said, it has truly amazing customer service. Everyone smiles and says hello and is helpful. We were greeted like long-lost friends on our first visit. Excellent breakfast buffet including made-to-order omelettes, steel-cut oats, fresh fruit, asian choices too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your positive remarks about the hotel. I review these with my staff and its helps me to motivate them. Our goal is to make our guests feel like they are at home and to keep them coming back. It was also nice to read about your experience with breakfast.
Florida, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was so happy to find this hotel. It is close to my business necessities in the San Gabriel area, as well as convenient to local restaurants and cultural sites. The hotel staff is very courteous, the rooms clean, and beds exceptionally comfortable. I have recently changed hotels due to issues at my previous location, and Hilton San Gabriel was an excellent find. Also, as a Diamond member the complimentary breakfast was excellent. Thanks again Hilton San Gabriel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for the nice comments about the staff and my hotel. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast in the restaurant.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here during a busy weekend for the Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita. The staff at this hotel are just exceptional. They were helpful with everything, including directions to stores, fixing the room phone within minutes of my mentioning a problem, calling taxis, and recommending restaurants. I had a great swim in the pool, and enjoyed the clean, quiet room. Dinner in the restaurant was fairly limited and average. If you don't want to venture out to the great Asian restaurants nearby it will suit you. The breakfast buffet was good, but I didn't realize the gratuity was included until I left. I would prefer a breakfast where I just order what I want. The bar was very comfy. Across from the hotel is a very large "99 Ranch" grocery story with all varieties of US produced and Asian imported foods. I spent a good hour just poking around there and collecting snacks. A CVS pharmacy is about four blocks West. CVS carries local wines. The neighborhood is very vibrant with shops and restaurants. Although I live in LA, I didn't realize how much fun this area is. Adjacent to the hotel is a plaza of shops and restaurants. I ate at the "Yes Mighty." The hot pot with Kim Chi was fabulous, and I noticed many couples coming in to share the huge mountains of flavored shaved ice. It looks as though a lot of these little restaurants don't have liquor licenses, and I noticed a lot of families in them having a lot of fun. Parking Saturday night was a little tight because of a function at the hotel, but a level down were plenty of spaces. I would stay here again and recommend it to you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Carl B, General Manager at Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for the positive comments about the hotel and the staff. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our location and the different ethnic venues that we have in San Gabriel. I noticed your comment about the breakfast and we do offer an Ala Carte breakfast menu in addition to the buffet. I apologize that the staff did not make you aware of this.
It was a busy weekend for us and I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Carl Bolte

Been to Hilton Los Angeles / San Gabriel? Share your experiences!