“Atypically good breakfast for this to be an IHG property” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in San Dimas
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Atypically good breakfast for this to be an IHG property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

This hotel can be deceiving. From the street view, my impression was that it was truly a hotel - where guests access their rooms from an interior lobby and corridor; not a former motel - where all guest rooms have exterior entries. So you walk inside to reach the lobby for check in, then proceed outdoors to the elevator to access the outdoor walkway leading to all guest rooms. There aren't even automated or sliding doors to access the elevator, which is quite inconvenient for us business traveler's with at least one rolling suitcase and a wheeled laptop bag. Perhaps in some eras, this er 'feature' would have been considered eccentric, or perhaps a novelty. I do not belong to that era.

If, after pushing all the furniture that will move against the exterior door, allows you a restful night's sleep; however, you will be pleasantly surprised by the variety of breakfast offerings. Many hotel brands today offer the same standard, cardboard-tasting, gluten-filled and mass-produced junk that most people do not enjoy and would never buy themselves, but force themselves to stomach so they can arrive at their client believing they have taken in some energy. I prefer assorted fresh fruits, REAL eggs, regular (not pre-sweetened or artificially flavored) oatmeal that I may spice up with cinnamon and nuts, and yogurt that is NOT non-fat (because those are only filled with all sorts of poisons and fake sugar additives that are even more harmful). This hotel offers all of that AND REAL bread items too! I was in breakfast heaven! It was ALMOST like I had done the shopping myself! And the coffee actually has taste, I feel less like I am drinking that 'warm, brown stuff.'

I did have a problem with the first room. And unlike the nearby hotel where I regrettably spent the previous 4 weeks, the staff at this hotel actually took care of the problem AND did so promptly, and with smiles and courtesy! How refreshing!

The A/C units are also VERY noisy.

Room Tip: To avoid road noise you do not want 3rd floor rooms in the teens.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Xiamen, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2014

A nice and well located hotel.

Most of the staff were very friendly. Only bad one was when complaining about maid forgetting to clean room one night, the front desk woman never apologized. Other than that, everyone was great.

Breakfast not fancy but offered enough choices. Skip the so called eggs though. All the breakfast staff were very friendly and a pleasure to talk to.

Room seemed older but in decent shape. Had a 2 bed plus sofa sleeper. Room is called a suite but is tight with 3 people. Comfortable bed. Everything was clean and appreciated an empty refrigerator to keep drinks. Came with microwave too.

Had no problem printing from the available computers in the lobby.

Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We just stayed here and the hotel is typical for a holiday inn express and it had pretty easy access to highways. The front desk staff at check-in was not very helpfull and almost a little rude. I have since been back in to front desk and other employes have been a little more helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Dimas, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear 420man,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I spent one night and was pleased with my stay and I would again stay at this property. Security of the room was questionable upon my arrival.

Lots of positives:
- Room was large, comfortable, very clean, carpets clean (no spots).
- Small (3 floors)
- The lobby and rooms were fresh, no stale or strange odors.
- Doorways are facing inside the property and entry is secured from all gates (but not from the lobby entrance).
- They have a nice pool area with pleasing landscaping surrounding the pool area.
- Customer service was good.
- WIthin walking distance of local eateries.
- The surrounding area is very nice, safe, and easy to access gas, food, groceries, etc.
- Near the highway wtihout being next to the highway
- Complimentary breakfast - the staff kept the food stocked during the morning.

Some minuses
Parking is limited, and sometimes guests will need to park on the street. Fortuantely, the hotel was not full and after having left the hotel to return around midnight, I was able to park on the property.

When I arrived/check in to my room, the front door to my room was fully open and the room entirely dark. I did enter the room and complete a check (bathroom, closet, etc) to ensure no one was inside the room. Maybe not the wisest deciion I made, fortunately all was good. The front desk said maintenance was in the room, checking carpet stains, and must have left the door wide open prior to my arrival.

The complimentary breakfasts are not my favorite at hotels. Other than fruit, no other true whole food options (without chemicals and perservatives).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I just spent three nights at this hotel while visiting a nearby university with my son. There really aren't many hotels in the vicinity, so I was a bit apprehensive about what we might find. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Every single one of the staff we met was very personable and "real". They were interested in what we were doing, had great advice and responded very quickly to all of our requests and questions. Whether it was where to grab a great pizza, or how to avoid the craziest of LA traffic. No question, the staff made our stay. Give them all a raise!!
One to the nuts and bolts..... If you've stayed at a HIE previously,the style of the hotel is pretty standard. Nice outdoor pool and hot tub in the courtyard at this one, though. All of the room doors face into this courtyard, so access is only through either the lobby or a locked gate from the parking area which requires your room key for access. Beautiful flowers, lush grass, and a pretty walkway in the courtyard. Breakfast was standard, but more than adequate. Hard boiled eggs, yogurt, granola, cereal, bagels, juice (passionfruit!), even an automatic pancake maker - yummy! Plenty of free parking and the town of San Dimas was clean and safe.
Room was bigger than I thought it would be. Two double beds, a sleeper sofa, desk, armchair, microwave, mini fridge, wet bar type sink. Nice wide vanity area so all three of us had room for our toiletries. Super clean bathroom!
The only items I would offer the management as areas for improvement would be the following: the tiles running around the top edge of the pool and hot tub could use a good cleaning. Carpeting in the room seemed to need a cleaning even though the rest of the room was spotless. The A/C in the room is really noisy.....hard to hear the TV when the AC is running, plus it seems to shut down and not want to restart.
Overall, I would give this hotel a big thumbs up. Price was good for California standards as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I read the reviews and was leery because of the "outside doors", but I needed a place. I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

Safety wasn't an issue once I saw what was meant by outside facing doors. All the doors are facing in, towards the pool area, not the exterior of the building ( from where I was anyway).

The room was BIG, very nice and clean. Not a monstrously big hotel.....actually pretty quaint. Im sure the noise level will pick up when the days warm up, but I'll give this one another shot when I'm back.

Plenty of eateries within a mile, big stores as well. One of my "Top 5" Holiday Inn Expresses

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Washington, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

In the words of Bill and Ted, "A most excellent and bodacious" hotel! The hot tub was very relaxing. Room was very clean. I always stay here when I am in the area for business. Lots of restaurants and shopping in the area as well. You can't go wrong with the free breakfast either.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Dimas? Share your experiences!