“Their staff is the real star” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in San Dimas
Chicago, Illinois
“Their staff is the real star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I just spent three nights at this hotel while visiting a nearby university with my son. There really aren't many hotels in the vicinity, so I was a bit apprehensive about what we might find. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Every single one of the staff we met was very personable and "real". They were interested in what we were doing, had great advice and responded very quickly to all of our requests and questions. Whether it was where to grab a great pizza, or how to avoid the craziest of LA traffic. No question, the staff made our stay. Give them all a raise!!
One to the nuts and bolts..... If you've stayed at a HIE previously,the style of the hotel is pretty standard. Nice outdoor pool and hot tub in the courtyard at this one, though. All of the room doors face into this courtyard, so access is only through either the lobby or a locked gate from the parking area which requires your room key for access. Beautiful flowers, lush grass, and a pretty walkway in the courtyard. Breakfast was standard, but more than adequate. Hard boiled eggs, yogurt, granola, cereal, bagels, juice (passionfruit!), even an automatic pancake maker - yummy! Plenty of free parking and the town of San Dimas was clean and safe.
Room was bigger than I thought it would be. Two double beds, a sleeper sofa, desk, armchair, microwave, mini fridge, wet bar type sink. Nice wide vanity area so all three of us had room for our toiletries. Super clean bathroom!
The only items I would offer the management as areas for improvement would be the following: the tiles running around the top edge of the pool and hot tub could use a good cleaning. Carpeting in the room seemed to need a cleaning even though the rest of the room was spotless. The A/C in the room is really noisy.....hard to hear the TV when the AC is running, plus it seems to shut down and not want to restart.
Overall, I would give this hotel a big thumbs up. Price was good for California standards as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I read the reviews and was leery because of the "outside doors", but I needed a place. I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

Safety wasn't an issue once I saw what was meant by outside facing doors. All the doors are facing in, towards the pool area, not the exterior of the building ( from where I was anyway).

The room was BIG, very nice and clean. Not a monstrously big hotel.....actually pretty quaint. Im sure the noise level will pick up when the days warm up, but I'll give this one another shot when I'm back.

Plenty of eateries within a mile, big stores as well. One of my "Top 5" Holiday Inn Expresses

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Washington, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

In the words of Bill and Ted, "A most excellent and bodacious" hotel! The hot tub was very relaxing. Room was very clean. I always stay here when I am in the area for business. Lots of restaurants and shopping in the area as well. You can't go wrong with the free breakfast either.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here over New Year's to attend Rose Bowl parade. We were pleasantly surprised. I had selected this hotel based on reviews from TA. Room was larger than expected with many conveniences such as microwave, small fridge. The complimentary breakfast was great although they could probably use more help as food items, including coffee, we're not always available. I know they were busy. They did get the items out but it took some time. Overall a great place to stay and great accessibility to restaurants and shopping and freeways.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We appreciated the size of the room and location. Furthermore, the front desk staff were outstanding and extremely helpful. We will make this location a destination for all future visits to the area and events.

Room Tip: The back side rooms are have a business park which had shift workers we were here on December 31, so...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Let me start by saying there is nothing wrong with this hotel. The room is clean and pretty comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. But there's nothing here that made me think, I have to stay here each time I'm in this area.

The property looks like it was an older hotel that has been updated. The lobby and outdoor pool and hot tub area look nice. The rooms are decent, but show some signs of the building's original age plus wear-and-tear since it's last remodel. The "soft" pillows were as lumpy as grandma's homemade oatmeal. There was a bit of mold and poor caulking around the tub/shower. In general, the hotel rooms is just not quite there, and I don't think is quite up to Holiday Inn Express standards, let alone higher standards.

The breakfast area was clean and the assortment of food was really good, as it usually is at Holiday Inn Express hotels. There's not much here for the health-conscious eater, but otherwise it is fine.

Overall, my experiencing here was fine, but I expected a bit more.

Room Tip: The top floor (3rd floor) has fewer rooms and is a bit quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Dimas, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear ColeQ,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and concerns We are happy you like our staff and comfortable rooms. Please accept our apologies for your less than satisfactory stay and apologize that our hotel property and bathroom cleanliness fell below your expectations. Rest assured that these concerns will be looked into. We do hope when business or pleasure brings you back to the area, you will allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room with 2 queen beds because the king rooms were more than I wanted to spend. I was pleasantly surprised to find that our room (#214) was a very large suite with a sofa and desk. The room also had a microwave and refrigerator (no freezer).
I believe the hotel is fairly new and maybe that's why the bed was a little harder than I am comfortable in. Probably most people would be okay with it.

We stayed for a week so the choice at the free breakfast got boring, but it is free. The eggs varied from scrambled to flat to make an egg sandwich with. There was always yogurt, hard boiled eggs, pastries, cereal, packets to make hot oatmeal, and sometimes sausage or bacon. (you had to ask for hot water because the hot water machine was broken.)

The pool and hot tub hours were too restrictive for us to use except one day. It opens at 10 am and closes at 10 pm. The pool is not heated. The hotel is nicely laid out and landscaped so the pool area is very pleasant and has some tables with umbrellas.
The breakfast room staff was very friendly and the front desk was helpful. The printer didn't work to print out my boarding passes so the manager printed them at the front desk. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Dimas? Share your experiences!