“No Problems Here - Actually, very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn San Clemente

You added Holiday Inn San Clemente to your Saves list
Holiday Inn San Clemente
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 South Avenue de la Estrella, San Clemente, CA 92673   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
“No Problems Here - Actually, very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

Holiday Inn, San Clemente, California.

Directly off the Freeway in the heart of town. Park for free outside and underground. Walk, shop and dine in this wonderful little town. Plenty of pubs,restaurants, and gift shops right nearby.

Our clean and adequate room had a jacuzzi ensuite. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony at night overlooking the town. They claimed that the room had an "ocean view," which is a stretch, as it is certainly viewable, albeit it in the distance. Room was equipped with microwave, fridge and coffeepot. Bed, couch and chairs very comfortable. Average sized bathroom. Nice outside pool area looked inviting - weather permitting.

Although the hearty could walk to the beach, we chose a quick 4 minute drive.

Great restaurant nearby, The Blue Danube. Very European, with great service and entertainment.

We had a good time here- we didn't expect a 4 or 5 star experience. We were happy to find a nice clean hotel in a very pleasant area conducive to exploration. We enjoyed having coffee and a breakfast sandwich at a little concession on the pier each morning. Convenience store and liquor store just 2 blocks from hotel.

• Liked — Location-Location-Location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
holidayInn90672, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Clemente, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad that you had a great time here and I am sure that your well built review will be usefull, for Tripadvisor members.
I would like to mention that since you took those pictures we did many update to this Hotel, and room are different now.
Please visit us again, it will be a great oportunity for you to take new pictures, and of course enjoy San Clemente.

Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

I stayed at this hotel from the end of November through the first week of December. Pulling up to the hotel I was immediatly disaapointed in the outside appearance and the lobby did little to change my mind - but are old and dumpy lookiong. I checked into my room and when I walked into the bathroom, I found a large bug crawling around in my sink. The room was outdated and the carpet was disgusting. The bedspreads look dingy, the bed itself is hard, and the pillows go flat as soon as you lay down. My room was conveniently located right along the freeway so the traffic noise was unbearable when it came time for bed. If you have seen the recent reports of hotels not cleaning glasses properly, let me tell you that I did not see a single glass on the cleaning cart which can only lead me to believe that this hotel does not clean their glasses either. The management is uncooperative and reluctant to please their customers, even those customers who would be repeat visitors. The motto is "Too bad if you dont like it, we do not need your business."

BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL! Although it is close to the main street, it just isnt worth it.

My recommendation: You are much better off staying at the Hampton Inn which is only about 1 mile away. That hotel has a seperate sitting and sleeping area, a nice wide sink, super comfortable bed, and it has views of the golf course.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank tigress6934
Your opinion is really important to us.
I am sorry to read that, since I am the new Front office manager of this Hotel, I want you to beleive that I want each single Guest to receive the best service. I encourage you to visit us again.
SoCal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

Initially we were not going to book a room with this hotel because it is closer to the freeway than it is to the beach. We were already in town so we took advantage of checking out the local community and were impressed.

The hotel sits one street off of Camino Real, San Clemente's main thoroughfare. This means that you are close to everything San Clemente has to offer but far enough away that the sounds of the city don't keep you up at night.

The hotel is very clean and the rooms are big enough that you don't feel crowded. We got an executive king with a whirlpool tub. The bed is so big you won't be awaken by bumping into your respective others. The tub is actually a whirlpool tub and not just some bath with jets. It is huge and could fit 3 people (4 if you are daring).

The TV has plenty of channels to keep you busy and has both English and Spanish stations (Spanish isn't just limited to soap operas either). The entire hotel has Internet access and room service runs until 10pm. The in room menu is missing a lot of selections they will deliver so if you don't see something (beer), just ask. They have a full breakfast service and you can order from a menu you leave hanging on your door the night before. If you are going to be out late, make sure you order and leave the menu outside the door before you leave.

Now about the distance to the beach. It actually wasn't very far at all and encouraged a walk out of us. It was a good walk but not a tiring one. Along the way there are plenty of shops to keep you occupied. While at the peer we ate crab and took in an Angel game. A great way to recharge the batteries for the trek back to our room.

Overall we were very impressed with this hotel. The staff were gracious and helpful. Our bar tender (room service delivery girl) was a local and helped us plan out our evenings and days. We had a wedding party in the hotel and do to the rooms being sufficiently sound proofed we didn't hear them.

If you are looking for a hotel that has it all and is just close enough and yet far enough away from the hustle and bustle, the Holiday Inn is a great place to stay.

• Liked — We really enjoyed the location of this hotel.
  • Disliked — Room service stops at 10pm. I would have prefered midnight.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JAYJMCGH
Why say anything else?
Thank you very much, we hope to see you really soon.
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

We had reservations about this as it was very cheap and was right next to the freeway but we loved it ! Hotel was good and clean and we had a sea view room which faced away from the freeway so we heard no noise at all. Air conditioning was broken in gym which rendered it unusable by day however. San Clemente is a great little town with a village feel and the beach is only about 15 mins walk from the hotel down the main street. Shops and restaurants (a great selection) are withing seconds walk from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank WJTaylor
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2007

I highly recommend this hotel, it's convenient to the beach (about a one mile walk, but you can park free in town by the shops to cut down the distance), the staff is very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful without being asked. The hotel restaurant has good breakfast food, and room service is available.

I was very impressed with San Clemente, it's a hidden gem in southern California, I liked it better than Del Mar or La Jolla. The Fisherman restaurant at the Pier has excellent food with reasonable lunch and wine prices.

• Liked — Employees
  • Disliked — Pool wasn't heated
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
Kongsberg, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

My bf and I are currently staying in this hotel, and we just love it. Great location, downtown/shops just a couple of minutes walk away, great restaurants nearby.
The staff is really nice. Our room is big, we have a bathtub, a large balcony with oceanview, and a view over the beautiful city.
Free parking.. Yeah, we love it here. Don't wanna leave.

Los Angeles is about a 1 hour drive away, San Diego also about 1 hour.
The Shops at Mission Viejo about 15 minutes drive: Macy's, Nordstrom, Saks, and a lot of great stores for the ultimate shopping spree.

• Liked — Combination of great location, pleasant room and nice staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for sharing your recommendations.
I understand that you didn't want to leave!
For extanded stay, but not only, we offer laundry facilities with all new machines, in room mini fridge and microwave.
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

I stayed here for business in January 2007. The location is great - it's right off the highway, and it's close to the downtown San Clemente area (shops, restaurants) and the beach.

The lobby is nice, and the staff was nice. We were told we were upgraded to "beachview", but you can't really see any of the beach, as the hotel is probably about 1 mile from the beach and not tall enough to see over the other buildings! I'd hate to think what the non-beachview (highway view) is!

The rooms left something to be desired. The mattress was probably the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on. Luckily, I had plenty of pillows in my room, so I managed to sleep on a bed of the pillows. The bathroom was marble and very nice, and the shower head was great.

I don't think if I'd stay here again. It was a great location, but they could really update the rooms with nicer beds and mattresses.

• Stayed January 2007
3 Thank youngk
Your opinion is really important to us.
Since your last review, we have now new pillowtop mattresses, 32" Flat screen TV, free in room Wi-Fi.
Is you liked the location, be back to enjoy those room updates.