“paid for a decent room and great view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Del Mar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Clemente
Villa Del Mar
Save Saved
You added Villa Del Mar to your Saves list
612 Avenida Victoria, San Clemente, CA 92672   |
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in San Clemente
Arizona
“paid for a decent room and great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We stayed a week in the two bedroom on the third floor. The bedrooms were quite small and not much other than the double bed and end tables fit in them. The bathroom was tiny and the kitchen is small too. Reminds me of a small apartment. There was a pedestal sink in the bathroom and absolutely no place to put toiletries or anything else for that matter. There were shelves across the hall from the bathroom and the toiletries had to be put there. The living room was decently spaced and when we weren't on the beach, we spent all our time there. The living room had large windows overlooking the ocean and a door leading onto the balcony. Being right across from the pier, there was people, train and traffic noise but we got used to it after a while. It was worth it because we had the constant sound of the waves also. The balcony is individual to the room, but stretches the length of the building so if occupants from the other rooms are on their balconies too, it isn't very private. Our neighbors were hardly ever out so we enjoyed ours very much. The trains started around 7:30am and ended around 10pm. When they would blow their whistles, it was quite loud. After a while we got accustomed to hearing them and since we slept through the night, we didn't care. There is no air conditioning that I can see. We happened to stay when the weather was beautiful so the ceiling fans kept it comfortable. I appreciated the kitchen since we spent all our vacation money on the room. The kitchen had a full size refrig, gas stove/oven, microwave, blender, toaster, coffee machine and an assortment of pots, dishes, silverware and cooking utensils. This was another money saver since we cooked most of our meals. I recommend eating at the Fisherman's restaurant on the pier and the Crepe restaurant below the hotel. Another bonus was the hotel had free WIFI. The furniture was clean and fairly modern. I realize that we basically were paying for the view, but it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
k_boehm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

The Hotel was nothing fancy, but still nicer than some have led on. Check in was fast and simple. The office was 300 feet away at the Seahorse Inn (people act like it was 9 miles away), I have walked further to get to the desk when I stayed in Las Vegas but nobody complains about that.
The room was a little spendy ($335 a night) but we were only there for one night and we were only in the room to sleep and to relax late in the evening on the deck that had ridiculously good views (see the pictures).
The trains are somewhat bothersome but they stopped around 10:30PM and did not start up until 7:30ish AM I believe. So if you like to sleep in late you may have problems, of course the mattress in our one bedroom apartment (room 7 I believe) was not all that comfortable so I hit the beach before then anyhow. Bring your own pillow and you should sleep fine.
The room was moderately clean, the couch was in great condition and was very comfy for the 5 minutes I spent sitting on it, I didn't use the kitchen, we ate out for all our meals. The pizza place just below served good pizza and the little cafe served some of the best crepes I have ever had (the berry crepe was delish).
The bathroom was not perfect (I did have plenty toilet paper but I was missing a thing to hold my roll) and the bath was peeling. But I expect nothing less from an old hotel like this that is on the beach, I don't know if I will come back to this hotel only because of the price, there are a few other small hotels along the beach that are a little more reasonable that I would like to try in my next visit to San Clemente. All in all my wife and I had a great stay (and she can be a little picky at times).

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — It is an aged establishment.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

For $330.00 a night we got one bedroom apartment furnished with thrift store furniture, disgusting looking kitchen with a faucet that would barely budge, small decrepit bathroom with no toilet paper holder (or enough rolls), tiny and stifling hot bedroom, peeling bathtub, missing window screens, noisy and wobbly ceiling fan, no phone to contact the 'lobby' (down the street in another 'hotel'), torn and frayed deck chair pads, tv with bad reception, doors that needed a wrestler to shut...But the beach was great. (and free). Stay AWAY!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My girlfriend highly recommended this property due to it's location, and it was in very close proximity to the beach and the pier. However, the property is located right at the railroad crossing and anyone who knows anything about trains knows that they blow their whistle when they're nearing the railroad crossing. And much to my dismay, there were a lot of trains! Usually the first train came through around 6:30 a.m., and they continued all day and into the evening until about 1 a.m. Amtrak, Metrolink, and freight trains all the time, which made a good nights sleep almost impossible.

And, as a previous reviewer mentioned, the wall unit air conditioner did not work. You need the air on in July because 1. The room faces the ocean/sun, and 2. The windows facing the ocean don't open. You are supplied with a large floor fan, but it was broken also. There are quite a few ceiling fans, and we had them running on high day and night.

Not only did the air not work, our stove/oven and refrigerator didn't work either. But to their credit, they quickly replaced these items as soon as we reported them. Also, to their credit, they loan you beach chairs, towels, and umbrellas at no charge.

The top floor units have the best balconies because they are completely open and the view is amazing. However, there is zero privacy

The bathroom was small w/one sink and no counter top space. The shower/tub is standard size, however the tub was severely chipped, the grout was rotting away, and the shower head only came up to my chin.

I wish I had good things to report. I can say that the office staff was very friendly and very helpful. The property just isn't worth the $329/night for a one bedroom.

• Liked — The view of the beach
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mountain View, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

We paid around $330 + tax for a one night stay at the Villa Del Mar Inn. The Inn is actually a converted apartment. No real front desk or lobby (you check in at another inn down the block, no one to call upon after 8pm.) The furniture, linens, and rug are dreadfully cheap. There is no working air conditioner, and boy did it get hot at night. Too hot for any of us to sleep comfortably, especially the kids. Our place was right next to the dumpster, so leaving the windows open at night was NOT a good idea. There is a kitchen, but not stocked with anything you need (no knives, bottle opener, pots/pans, dishwasher.) But on the bright side, the living room has lots of panoramic windows and a balcony to provide an amazing view of the expansive beach. You can watch the waves roll in for hours. Could be a great find, or a bust, depending on what you are looking for in lodging.

• Liked — The Views
  • Disliked — Lack of hotel amenities, such as extra linens, toilet paper, lobby, etc.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Villa Del Mar? Share your experiences!