“A wonderful 4 days with breathtaking views, great restaurants, bars, shops and a great walking trail along the ocean.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Del Mar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Clemente
Villa Del Mar
Save Saved
You added Villa Del Mar to your Saves list
612 Avenida Victoria, San Clemente, CA 92672   |
Ranked #15 of 17 hotels in San Clemente
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

I first booked at Travel Lodge, web site saying it had ocean view lol. So glad I switched to Villa Del Mar! We were right across from the pier and had a big balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean and Dana Point. Shops and restaurants right down stairs and across the street from the beach and walking trail. The Fisherman's Restaurant was very romantic at night and loved the outside seating with heaters. The room had everything we needed, it's older but who cares with the view and beach right there. I read a review about the train keeping him up, we slept like babies and enjoyed watching it go by during the day. What a great get away without a ton of people, can't wait to get back!

• Stayed May 2012

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were lucky enough to spent one lovely night here. The view in the evening was perfect. We made the short walk accross the road to the Fishermans restaurant which was also great. The suite was spacious, although felt a little insecure. This was due to having 3 external doors, all with dodgy locks that didn't seem up to the job! Despite this little detail, would definately visit again if I pass this way.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Directly across from the beach and pier...you can see the waves break and hear them at night. Two great surf spots in sight. No night life right on the beach so its quiet and peaceful. The night life is walking distance up the hill from the beach. Nick's has the best Martini I have ever had and their food is great.

Only downside for some (I love it) is the passenger train runs a few times a day along the beach, but only until 11pm. Kinda cool if you like trains! You can also hop on the train right there and go to San Diego for the day. Oh and lets not forget the crepe cafe on the first floor with outside seating and happy hour and sunset on the pier and the owners are really nice and very helpful. The apts themselves are spacious, casual beachy with large decks on the seaside. Affordable, casual, fun!

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want...larger deck, one bedroom or two
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

We recently spent a weekend at this lovely hotel in a 2 br/2 bth unit. The views were panoramic. Spectacular! Unobstucted views of the beach and pier. The condo was very clean, and well-appointed with everything needed for a home away from home. The staff was very friendly and helpful and available to meet all our needs. We walked to the farmer's market (Sundays), had dinner at the pier, and breakfast at a wonderful restaurant right below the condo that served delicious crepes. The downtown area is very quaint, with unique shops and a wide range of restaurants. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a romantic weekend, as a base for sightseeing or for families wanting a beachfront getaway. We would undoubtedly book here again, hopefully longer to relax, take in the views and sunsets and to explore more of the area. Thanks to the staff for a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We stayed a week in the two bedroom on the third floor. The bedrooms were quite small and not much other than the double bed and end tables fit in them. The bathroom was tiny and the kitchen is small too. Reminds me of a small apartment. There was a pedestal sink in the bathroom and absolutely no place to put toiletries or anything else for that matter. There were shelves across the hall from the bathroom and the toiletries had to be put there. The living room was decently spaced and when we weren't on the beach, we spent all our time there. The living room had large windows overlooking the ocean and a door leading onto the balcony. Being right across from the pier, there was people, train and traffic noise but we got used to it after a while. It was worth it because we had the constant sound of the waves also. The balcony is individual to the room, but stretches the length of the building so if occupants from the other rooms are on their balconies too, it isn't very private. Our neighbors were hardly ever out so we enjoyed ours very much. The trains started around 7:30am and ended around 10pm. When they would blow their whistles, it was quite loud. After a while we got accustomed to hearing them and since we slept through the night, we didn't care. There is no air conditioning that I can see. We happened to stay when the weather was beautiful so the ceiling fans kept it comfortable. I appreciated the kitchen since we spent all our vacation money on the room. The kitchen had a full size refrig, gas stove/oven, microwave, blender, toaster, coffee machine and an assortment of pots, dishes, silverware and cooking utensils. This was another money saver since we cooked most of our meals. I recommend eating at the Fisherman's restaurant on the pier and the Crepe restaurant below the hotel. Another bonus was the hotel had free WIFI. The furniture was clean and fairly modern. I realize that we basically were paying for the view, but it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
k_boehm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

The Hotel was nothing fancy, but still nicer than some have led on. Check in was fast and simple. The office was 300 feet away at the Seahorse Inn (people act like it was 9 miles away), I have walked further to get to the desk when I stayed in Las Vegas but nobody complains about that.
The room was a little spendy ($335 a night) but we were only there for one night and we were only in the room to sleep and to relax late in the evening on the deck that had ridiculously good views (see the pictures).
The trains are somewhat bothersome but they stopped around 10:30PM and did not start up until 7:30ish AM I believe. So if you like to sleep in late you may have problems, of course the mattress in our one bedroom apartment (room 7 I believe) was not all that comfortable so I hit the beach before then anyhow. Bring your own pillow and you should sleep fine.
The room was moderately clean, the couch was in great condition and was very comfy for the 5 minutes I spent sitting on it, I didn't use the kitchen, we ate out for all our meals. The pizza place just below served good pizza and the little cafe served some of the best crepes I have ever had (the berry crepe was delish).
The bathroom was not perfect (I did have plenty toilet paper but I was missing a thing to hold my roll) and the bath was peeling. But I expect nothing less from an old hotel like this that is on the beach, I don't know if I will come back to this hotel only because of the price, there are a few other small hotels along the beach that are a little more reasonable that I would like to try in my next visit to San Clemente. All in all my wife and I had a great stay (and she can be a little picky at times).

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — It is an aged establishment.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

For $330.00 a night we got one bedroom apartment furnished with thrift store furniture, disgusting looking kitchen with a faucet that would barely budge, small decrepit bathroom with no toilet paper holder (or enough rolls), tiny and stifling hot bedroom, peeling bathtub, missing window screens, noisy and wobbly ceiling fan, no phone to contact the 'lobby' (down the street in another 'hotel'), torn and frayed deck chair pads, tv with bad reception, doors that needed a wrestler to shut...But the beach was great. (and free). Stay AWAY!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Villa Del Mar? Share your experiences!