“Old school fun place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Little Inn by the Beach

You added The Little Inn by the Beach to your Saves list
The Little Inn by the Beach
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1819 South El Camino Real, San Clemente, CA 92672 (Formerly Motel San Clemente)   |
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Oro Valley, Arizona
“Old school fun place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is an old school style motel with a great design, but it does show some age. I went there with 3 other guys for a guys weekend at the beach and we had a blast. The balcony layout is really cool and we had our door open most of the time we were at the place hanging out on the balcony. The view from the higher floors is ok and you can see the ocean, but not really from the 2nd floor. The staff and owners are very nice and do what they can to make your stay a good one. The rooms were clean enough for me, but I'm sure if my wife was with me she would have found something to complain about. We did have to ask for extra towels and soap, but other than that no issues.

Some comments:
The parking is tight, but that is too be expected in a beach town.
There is a propane BBQ free for use that we used that was a nice feature.
The continental breakfast was pretty basic (oatmeal and fruit), but it was nice to have coffee there 24/7.
It's about a mile walk to the "downtown" bars and restaurants, something we did each evening. You could get a cab, but the walk was not bad.
The donut place across the street is a must.
The traffic noise from the freeway is an issue, but did not really bother us (not overwhelming). When you are in your room with the door closed, it is quiet.

Room Tip: You'll have a better view of the ocean on the higher floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dana Point, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The white duvet, fluffy pillows, granite counter top, covered free parking, new tiled bathrooms and sunset view were pleasant surprises. I was on a staycation while I had company at my pad and just wanted a place that I could walk to restaurants, ride my bike from to the beach trail along the ocean and have a fridge/microwave.

The room was clean. I utilized the Free Wi Fi, in room snacks and on premise BBQ grill. The rooms at the beach are pricey. The National chain hotel which was closer to downtown (8 minute walk) was $189 for the same night I paid $73 here and didn't include breakfast or WI Fi.

I hit several really nice restaurants in a two block radius including El Mariachi and Happa J's. I enjoyed the walk to the beach and loved the convenient access to the highway in the morning when I didn't have time.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor room as they have the best views. I liked being on the end so I could us...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Oxnard, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I travel to visit friends in San Clemente two or three times a year and we always stay here. The rooms are spacious and always clean. Traffic noise is minimal and everything is within easy walking and/or driving distance.

Staff is friendly and courteous, plus the outdoor balcony/patio is perfect for afternoon wine/appetizers to hare with friends.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bainbridge Island, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Close to freeway but good sound proofing except when children were running upstairs. We had a few issues which the owners did their best to resolve. They gave us a discount for the things they couldn't fix. The coffee was good, but nothing especially exciting for the continental breakfast. One car parking per room. Close to beach, town, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed September 2012
Riverside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I traveled to San Clemente to attend my nephew's wedding on the beach. We only stayed there the one night, fortunately. The one-bed room was clean and of average size. There was a small refrigerator that was noisy enough at night to make getting to sleep a little difficult and a microwave we did not use. There is no central AC/Heat but there is a wall unit you would have to run constantly to avoid opening the old single pane window because of the traffic noise from the close-by freeway. My wife says they should name it "The Little Inn By The Freeway".
Parking is very limited and tight. A notice posted in the elevator warns that if you park at any of the nearby businesses you car will be towed. Don't do that. When we returned from the reception at around 11:00 pm that night we had to park on a side street. There were a few open spaces but they are so narrow I would not have been able to open the car door to exit. There was one of the few spaces open in the small parking garage but a large concrete support pillar prevented me from getting my mid-size car into the parking space. All things said our stay there was just ok. Next time we stay in the area we'll spend a few extra dollars for better accommodations. There are plenty to choose from.
BTW, we did have a wonderful breakfast the next morning at The Fisherman's Restaurant And Bar on the pier. The food and service was very good and so was the Bloody Mary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

The only thing this hotel has going for it is that it is right off the freeway. Having said that, it is RIGHT OFF THE FREEWAY. Sitting out on the patio enjoying the weather is ruined by the constant drone of vehicles passing by. The one ice machine serving all 3 floors was routinely empty. The remote for our TV was missing its back and the battery fell out. We couldn't change volume or channel all night until it was programmed again. The girl at the front desk got us what we needed, but didn't seem happy about it. The rooms are extremely dated as well. If you are only looking for a bed to sleep in, come here. If you expect a bit more, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My son and I recently stayed here for 3 days while on college visits in LA/San Diego. It was very convenient to get between both cities, and the rooms were comfortable and a good price. However...parking was free on the property, but crowded; the "continental breakfast" was some granola bars, a few apples and bananas, and small, packaged bagels - walk across the street to Surfin Donuts or the cafe, both were great. It was only a short drive to the beach or pier which was nice. Overall it was a good place when on a budget and not planning to be in the hotel much anyway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Little Inn by the Beach? Share your experiences!