“Perfect B&B for a relaxing get away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Always Inn San Clemente B&B

You added Always Inn San Clemente B&B to your Saves list
Always Inn San Clemente B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   177 Avenida Cabrillo, San Clemente, CA 92672   |
Ranked #2 of 7 San Clemente B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, CA
“Perfect B&B for a relaxing get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

If you're looking for a small little B&B for a relaxing weekend down in San Clemente (or the Beach Cities area), look no farther than Always Inn. Craig and Sonia are the newer (since the end of 08' if I remember correctly) property managers and are doing an excellent job of running the place. Unfortunately Sonia was on a personal trip so we did not get to meet her but Craig took great care of us. We stayed in the "Palm Whisper" room which was just big enough for the two of us. Comfortable bed, nice flat screen with a very nice selection of DVDs to watch if there was nothing on TV. They had several patios to relax on and have breakfast on, if you so choose. Craig cooked us an amazing breakfast both mornings and is quite the coffee aficionado (make sure to ask what he's brewing). The B&B is one block from Del Mar (one of the main shopping/dining streets in San Clemente) and about a mile or so from the beach (easy walk down Del Mar). All in all a great place to stay for 5 star amenities without the 5 star stuffiness. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Norwalk, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

What a great place for a romantic getaway. The house sits as a garden oaisis on what would otherwise be a lonely corner. A short walk up the slightly winding brick and stone walkway with gardens to each side leads you to the front door. The first thing that I said when I walked into the rather eclectically furnished front room was "Honey, I'm home". This place gives you a warm comfortable feeling. This tone matches the owners personalities as well, very friendly and down to earth. Our room was a bit on the small side, but there are at least two other rooms available, one larger, and another very large but the semi-private patio and lush gardens more than make up for it. We were treated to a full breakfast on both mornings of our stay. We could have eaten in the dining room, but why do that when there's two outside eating areas. We ate in front garden fhe first day, surrounded by lush, green gadens, and the side patio the second, joined by two other guests, adjacent to the side gardens. The breakfast was great and was nice as well, as we were ready for exploring this quaint little town as soon as we left for the day. I'd recommend this place for families as well, as the front room has a tv, books and CD's, and games. Overall, I can't say enough about how great our stay was. We will definately be coming here again, but first want to check out the mountain cottages that are also available through this owner. If you're into chrome and glass, you won't find it here. If you are looking for what we believe a true "bed and breakfast" shoud be, then you've found the right place.

• Liked — Home like feeling
  • Disliked — Could not stay longer
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

This is my second time back this year at The Always Inn B&B, but I have to say this stay was even better than the first. Under the same ownership, Always Inn has a new couple overseeing the property. Craig and Sonia have really poured their hearts into the house. Each room spotless clean inside and out, with a new refreshing and relaxing atomosphere thoughout. Not that I didn't have a nice stay the first time around, especially with breakfast made by the owner herself. Even though this is a smaller house, we never even ran into the other two couples during our entire stay.

I would strongly suggest a stay here if you are looking for a perfect location (one block to downtown shopping with quaint restaurants and a few blocks from the beach), friendly hosts, and a relaxing get-a-way.

My wife and I will definitely be back soon.

• Liked — Location and friendly hosts.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

Very nice people, but unorganized. We showed up at 3:00pm (check-in time) for our check-in and waited an hour in the "lobby" (living room of their house) for them--no one around. Finally got a call back an hour later, and received directions to the studio apt. (off-site, a mile or so from inn, in a residential neighborhood a ways from main downtown area--not scenic), where the key was under the mat. The studio was just fine and well stocked with everything you need. Not in the most picturesque neighborhood, but it was just fine. No complaints.

The rooms in the "Inn" are just fine, but it's not like any B&B I've ever been to--really feels like someone's house and a little too close quarters for it to be all that comfortable. I'd call it more of a "Room in Someone's House" rather than a Bed & Breakfast. The positive thing is that it is in a great location, just a block off the main street w/lots of shops/restaurants.

Though I spoke w/the owner a few times on the phone (very nice, told me she'd drop by some fresh-baked cookies which never arrived), we never saw them in person. We had a stopped-up toilet on the morning we left but weren't able to get them on the phone. They also advertise morning breakfast around 9:00, but they weren't even there and didn't tell us they wouldn't be--not a problem since we weren't planning on eating there anyway, but would have been a bummer if we had planned on it. She called a few hours later--they weren't even in town. Left our key in the lobby and headed out.

Again, nice people, but I wouldn't choose this place again.

Stayed March 2008
minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

Stayed at the Always Inn studio that was supposedly located within a "Spanish and Tuscany style resort” and near the beach. If their idea of a Spanish and Tuscany style resort is a wood lap sided, asphalt shingled roof rental triplex nestled within a major rental district then the local Pizza Hut is authentic Italian food. The picture on the internet is that of a "resort" that doesn't exist however the room photos are correct. Again, the photo does not match the actual building. What is with the Beach Club photos? Even more misleading. Patio? Are you kidding me...look closely and you will notice that the patio is actually steps to the next rental unit. Is this in accordance to California Code? Sure the beach is 600 feet away, but did they mention that there are two city blocks of homes in front of it, 200 steps to walk down to it and once at the bottom, there is no access to the beach due the Railroad! You have to walk a mile just to set foot on sand. Problems encountered include; broken shower fixture, light bulbs burnt out, no cable/satellite, no internet, blinds that once open are impossible to close, previous guest left behind personal belongings and not to mention the other tenants living there have homeless people staying with them who were seen going through neighborhood mailboxes and stopping people and asking them for money. Did we complain? Yes. Our first was that the internet did not work, I was there on business and so it was important. Freda, the owner, said she was unaware of problems and would check into it. The next morning there is a box at our doorstep with a wireless router and a bunch of cables and ...nothing else. I was left with the impression she thought since I needed internet I should be in charge of setting it up. What? I then complained about the homeless kid staying with the lady living on the second floor and then I called her the morning before I was to depart and requested she stop by because I had some things to clear up regarding the misinformation posted on the internet and some additional suggestions to make future stays more enjoyable. She said she would call in the afternoon and then stop by. Never did. Additional Notes: Extremely clutter studio that could us a good sifting through. Space is tight so what is the need for a full size futon? This is a two person max studio. The radio/cd player was basically rendered useless since the speakers were separate from the unit and no outlet was remotely within distance of the unit unless you gathered all of the components and placed it near an outlet. A simple fix, but then again not. For price and inconvenience of overall experience, I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

Was in San Clemente on business and wanted more than the same old, same old inexpensive motel. I booked into the Always Inn in San Clemente and was very surprised at how lovely this little inn was and mostly what a wonderful person the owner was. She is an amazing cook and willing to fix you anything you wanted. Her charm and warmth made me feel at home and her flexibility would make any business traveler thrilled. I am looking forward to staying at the Always Inn for pleasure purposes the next time I am in San Clemente.

• Liked — Location, decor, food, hospitality, internet access, environment, parking
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

I decided to stay at the Always Inn, because it was similar in price to nearby hotels, and I needed a change of pace on my 3 day business trip to SoCal.

The bed and Breakfast is a 5 bedroom house, of which Frida, the owner, rents out three of the bedrooms. The hotel is about 1 block from Del Mar, which is the main street in San Clemente, and about 4 blocks from the Beach. Frida is a very sweet lady with eclectic tastes that suit her abode. She does not lock her doors, but San Clemente is little SoCal beach town, and at first might be strange, but becomes refreshing when you think about it. Your room does have a key though.

My room was the smallest, but still had plenty of room for myself. Two people in my room would have been tight. I forgot the name of the room, but Frida is very helpful and will chose the right room for the occasion. The tub in my bathroom was great, but the actual bathroom was small. She has high speed internet in the house, and I was able to do work in the large patio outside my room.

Breakfast: Frida serves a huge delicious breakfast, which lasted me most of the day. I had fresh made mini-muffins, tea, chilled fresh OJ, a fruit salad, an omelete with portobello mushrooms, spinich, and cheddar cheese, and a bagel with cream cheese. You don't have to have as big of a breakfast, but I wanted to.

Overall, it was a really nice experience, and very refreshing for a business trip. I am not sure how a romantic trip would be, but I definetly recommend visiting San Clemente. It is a beautiful little beach town with nice restaurants and shops.

• Liked — Breakfast, Wireless Internet
  • Disliked — Small Bathroom
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Always Inn San Clemente B&B? Share your experiences!