“Non-Smokers love an Ocean View Also” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn San Clemente

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn San Clemente to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn San Clemente
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 N El Camino Real, San Clemente, CA 92672-4696 (Formerly Days Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
LAS VEGAS
“Non-Smokers love an Ocean View Also”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Overall it was a great stay. I couldn't believe that all the great ocean views were for smokers. I went into one of the rooms to see if we could switch but the room had a stale odor of cigarette smoke. All the rooms that were available with the ocean view were for smokers unfortunately,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Our California trip started a day early on a whim after my boyfriend said he didn't have to work. Leaving early on Saturday morning, we both didn't check to set a place up and figured we would just locate a place while driving to San Clemente from Tucson (Our original destination was San Diego). My boyfriend wanted to take me to where his family vacations every year, which is where we were headed. We decided to look for a place after hitting Alpine, California for lunch. Once there, he pulled up expedia and I - pulled up tripadvisor to see where would be a decent place. We saw the Days Inn and promply called - the rate was a decent one. Not only was the lady nice who answered but she offered the different rooms available. We got a room, last minute for less than 100.00. We really didn't care which kind of room we got, so long as we got one so we opted for the cheapest one. We got a 1st floor, accessable king smoking room. We didn't care, we both smoke and it had everything we needed in this sweet town. =) Since we were spending one day there, this room fit the bill. It was very clean, everything was in order, the microwave and mini fridge worked as the TV did. The room (#114) was a smoking room, but didn't smell like one. It was decent room, the shower head massaged. Only downside was the view and parking. The view looked into a parking lot with 4 company trucks, but no big deal - we were staying 1 night and who really stays in their hotel room when there is other things to do? The parking can be a bit cramped; there is a lower parking space if everything is full. And please, do not try to park a car bigger than Fiat/Mini Cooper/Smart Car in the compact car parking. You would be a moron like the guy in a Dodge Caravan that did! I have a Caliber, and I didn't park there!
I did mention he was taking me to where his family vacations - so he wanted to show me all the little shops, the pier and have dinner. This hotel is located on a quiet side of El Camino Real, about a mile away from the main center of town. The Continental Breakfast is the true definition of the term - there are only bagels, little danishes, coffee, apple and orange juice. The Indian man who was the owner chatted with me while I prepared our bagels, and he was very nice and polite; very chatty too. He checked up to make sure our stay was nice and even waived when we left. If and when I return to San Clemente, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

After a long hot drive down from Santa Barbara we were looking forward to getting to SC and relaxing. We had booked ahead to avoid any stress of having to find a place on our arrival - which turned out to be a mistake.

The receptionist (a lady who appeared to be living at the hotel) was rude from the start, greeting us with 'what do you want?'. She then couldn't find our reservation which we were totally cool with, but didn't get any apology for. The icing on the cake was when we returned later to ask if they had any maps of the local area. She pointed at a map on the wall next to me and said 'we have have that one' (in a slightly off tone), before muttering something then pulling out a map from a draw and saying 'you can have this but if you get lost I wont help you'.

We were put next to a noisy family and as the walls are paper it felt like we were in the same room, enjoying their arguments from 7am.

Apart from that the room was clean (though smelt of cigarettes) and had all the necessary facilities. I know its cheap but that is no excuse for a rude reception, which tainted our arrival in this beautiful little town.

Room Tip: There are much better alternatives in town and further down the road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012 via mobile

Pleasant. Good price. It's clean and the receptionist was eager to help.

I would come back here on a budget.

Right now so quiet.

• Stayed February 2012
Dana Point
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The location is good close to Dana Point the hotel is no frills. If you are looking for a place just to sleep that is not expensive then this is the motel for you. We slept, got up and checked out ASAP.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Decatur, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

The rooms were wel lkept. We had maid service every day at a time convenient to us.
The room had a nice balcony. Continental breakfast was ok.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Townsville, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We had to book a room quickly for that night after having to check out of another hotel unexpectedly. I booked on hotwire and got this hotel. i called ahead and the manager graciously let us check in 2.5 hours early which was greatly appreciated. Once I arrived however, the manager seemed very upset that we had booked on hotwire and told me that hotwire takes $30 and it was too bad because if I had called him and booked directly I could've gotten the room for $65. I explained that I had to book something quickly and was unfamiliar with the area. When my boyfriend asked if we could get that rate if we wanted to stay an additional night, he became very argumentative and said there were no rooms available the next night. He gave us our room key and I saw that it was on the corner, on the bottom floor right next to the parking lot with everyone coming and going. It turned out fine, because we were near our car and did not have to haul our luggage upstairs. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The wifi was free but extremely slow. most of the time we had only two bars. We did not try the continental breakfast as we slept in. I have no complaints except the hotwire thing. It is weird to me that hotels depend on hotwire to fill their empty rooms and then resent it when you use it! The manager did give us an extra key card when we locked ourselves out of our room. I don't know if we will stay here again, however.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn San Clemente? Share your experiences!