“A Wonderful Beach Front experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beachcomber Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Clemente
Beachcomber Inn
You added Beachcomber Inn to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   533 Avenida Victoria, San Clemente, CA 92672 (Formerly Beachcomber Motel)   |
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Cleveland, Ohio
“A Wonderful Beach Front experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

San Clemente is a very special place for me and my wife. At one time called the Western White House this was then the beach retreat for former President Richard Nixon and family. I can't say I've agreed much with Richard Nixon, but we do agree about this beautiful California coastal city on the Pacific Ocean. We've just returned from our second week ever in this oceanfront town. We stayed as before at the Beachcomber Inn overlooking the ocean and pier of this lovely place. Not being "on the beach" people we enjoyed looking out from our patio on the beach activity like surfing and fishing. The Beachcomber is a family run motel just above the beach. It is quite old, but clean and comfortable with motel type rooms. We chose one with a kitchenette and saved on breakfasts and lunches. Dinner was sometimes on the pier with fish and chips and shrimp cocktail with overhead gas heaters and the sound of the waves underneath. The rooms are not inexpensive, but the views are incredible and well worth the money. An occasional short passenger train passes between the hotel and beach. The wireless internet was very weak and I never did get a good signal, but the San Clemente library is just down the street with great free internet service. We look forward to returning in another spring to beat the Northern Ohio early spring blues. Parking is at a premium with a very undersized lot, so I've learned to rent a compact car. The worst that can happen is parking on the street with a better move it time of 10AM. Halfway between San Diego and Los Angeles several airports are close and make fares very competitive.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed there several years past and will be staying again in October.
We found the rooms to be very light, bright and airy. Kitchen had everything we needed including a wine opener that I had forgotten.
Then there is the view and location. Just beautiful. I took so many pictures of the grounds, flowers, garden and rabbits not to mention the terrific shots available of the Pier and surrounding area.
We were there for three days and altho we didn't require any help from staff, they seemed very friendly upon checking in.
The room was clean and comfortable, loved sitting out on the patio area and just a easy, nice walk to all the fine eateries and the beach.
I have just recommended this to a friend for she, her husband and 2 year old for a nice get-away. I didn't check when we were there, but I'm hoping they can easily catch the Coaster into San Diego for the day.
I thought that negative review was just wrong in so many ways, even after all this time, I really felt the need to voice my positive opinion of this lovely place. We will be Back!!!
Shirley and Dennis

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
San Clemente
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

The beauty of this little motel is the location and the view, the rooms are quaint and in very good condition considering this motel was built in the 1940's. The grounds are unique and very well maintained. For me, the huge panoramic window view, the porch areas, and the immaculate lawn overlooking the beach all contributed to the sense of feeling the ocean on your doorstep and in your spirit. What a great place to relax. The sound of the waves kissing the shore, carressing my ears in the evening, these are the things that I looked forward to and found quite satisfying. The staff was attentive to my needs and extended extra effort to take care of me and assure I was happy. 4th of July was a busy day at the motel with a party and many many people sharing the lawn and expererience, my children played with other children, the other guests invited their friends and families, and the owners even had a little band playing music. The party was friendly and the whole VIB was very festive, the fireworks from this vantage point are amazing. Beach, Sun, Fun, and Friendly Staff..

PS. If you like to surf, I recommend this place for a small group to share the larger suites and visit "T" street and the pier surf spots. The pizza place by the pier is excellant also. Am I giving away my best secrets here ? shhh..

Thanks John and Karen !!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Fountain Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

If you are looking for a place to stay near great surfing and body boarding, with no frills this is the place! My two teenage sons and I spent a weekend sharing a studio with a queen bed and queen sofa, a kitchen, bathroom and cable TV. Clean!
The view is 5 star!
You can easily walk to the beach which is a stones throw from your front door. Cafes and restaurants within 3 minute walk. Need surf/beach equipment and outerwear, Hobie and Killer Dana shops are withing 1.5 miles.
The local Amtrak train does get noisy,but frankly after 8 hours in the water I doubt we heard it after the first few times. These are well build bungalows, we met some nice families with many many smaller children and it was quite peaceful. The small BBQ can be a social gathering point and the fire pit is a nice touch. A pleasant relaxing stay! Karen was very nice helping us with a few details like bed Linen and local recommendations. Thank you Karen!

PS. If you are going to body surf or boogie board, fins are required !

PPS. After reading a previous review about MOLD I specifically inspected lodging for cleanliness and mold. I found the rooms to be clean. I did find a 1/2 inch area of mold in the corner of the shower. When I informed housekeeping they were quite abashed that they had missed a spot and took care of it promptly. They could not have been nicer.

My boys and I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

The location of this motel is amazing. Right on the sea front with amazing views. Next to the pier and few restaurants on your door step. Rooms are slightly outdated but the view makes up for this. The quibble I have is the service, no welcome or pleasant introductions. More of yep this is your room and this is how much you have to pay. Here is your key and that was it. They could do with working on this. Parking is limited also. But you can park on the street. Long as you are up by 10am to top up your parking metre you'll be ok. Other wise it could be expensive unless you are prepared to camp out at the car park for a free space.

There is also a train track between property and beach, Amtrak seem to run a regular service. When a train does come through be prepared for the horn sounding. If its a freight train look hold tight because the room shakes.

If you have any questions about our stay feel free to email me

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Do not stay here!!! I can't begin to describe how much of a rip-off this place is. It is as expensive as a 5 star hotel with the quality of a motel from the early 50's. I saw roaches in my bathroom and kitchen, there was mold growing in the shower, and the entire place smelled of sewage.

The veiw was pretty good, but you can go to the free beach and get the same (free) view. The owners are ridiculous and rude, I take that back the entire family is rude. They act like the are too busy to care or help.

I can't stress how much nicer/cleaner/better the other hotels in town are. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this scam.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
klgabay38, Manager at Beachcomber Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
One year has now gone by since we received this review. You still haven't contacted us in any way. This is very disturbing to us.
Everybody has to take the good with the bad, but we have to say this time the procedure of Trip Advisor is not working. No one can say for sure if this person even ever stayed here or if they were writing about the Beachcomber Motel. With no reply, we think this review should be eliminated. It must have been a mistake.

Maybe Trip Advisor should rethink their procedures because we think this review is unfair to have on our review list.
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed one week at the Beachcomber Motel. It was a little cramped for 2 adults and 2 kids but we survived just fine. The owners were great and very responsive to any requests we had. (a sink that clogged was fixed right away)
The location on the beach is superb. We could see our 11 year old in the water on his boogie board from outside our room. It was very relaxing to just sit on chairs in the grass with a wonderful view. You can walk to any kind of restaurant with a great breakfast across the Street.
Just know that trains go by early and can get a bit noisy.
We would return to this special Motel.

• Liked — location to beach, friendly service, easy to walk to shops & restaurants, clean
  • Disliked — no a/c, noise of trains in am
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Beachcomber Inn? Share your experiences!