“Mediocre Mexican food” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 180 restaurants in San Clemente
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: "Southern California Mexican" Featuring Prime steaks, seafood, and Mexican favorites. South of Nick's delves into Southern California's Mexican roots to add a little chile and spice to Nick's brand of fresh, flavorful food and warm hospitality. An Orange County favorite for Mexican dining.
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Mediocre Mexican food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

NIck knows how to run a restaurant; and this place has great service, great space and great decor. But the food isn't particularly good here, unlike his other restaurants. The snapper Veracruzana was bland enough that I had to pour all of the dipping salsa for the chips on the small piece of fish to make it edible. The shrimp were overcooked and rubbery. The steak in the fajitas was tough. No one finished their food. It was a Sunday night, so maybe the regular chef was away, but there are a lot of good Mexican places around; no need to come here.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Beaumont, California
“Great Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

South of Nick's is a recently new restaurant in San Clemente. My wife and I have a Timeshare in San Clemente and were anxious to eat there during our recent stay. When I called to make a reservation on a Friday night they were booked up; however, they did manage to fit us in. The greeting upon arrival was very friendly and we did not have to wait long to get a table. The service was outstanding and our server was helpful in recommending dishes. My wife had the Lobster and Shrimp Enclildas and I had a fresh Sea Bass special. Both dishes were excellent. Even though they were extremely busy the Manager took time to stop by our table to make certain that we were happy with the food and service. We even saw him picthing in to help the staff. If you are in San Clemente and are looking for a great place to dine, go to South of Nick's.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Clemente, California
“Food Was Good but the Ice Tea Was the Best Ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Typical up-scale Mexican food that was good, if not great. For lunch, my wife had the taco's and I had my favorite, the chili verde. Neither was as good as La Siesta but it was still good. What made this restaurant for me was the ice tea. Not sweetened but so flavorful I had four refills. I like strong ice tea without sugar, perfume, or flowers and this one fit the bill. It was not there regular ice tea but it had another name that I forgot and it was delicious. I have been meaning to return to this restaurant for the ice tea. Decor is comfortable we had superb service.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Laguna Niguel
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Very fresh and high quality Mexican food. Love the atmosphere! Do try to get a reservation as it gets very busy.

Visited September 2012
San Clemente, California
“Lucky San Clemente!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

What took hubby and I so long to eat here?! South of Nicks is great. They have found that magic formula of a great concept, great location, great look and layout, great staff, great food and drink and great return on your dining dollar. The quality, choice and execution of food and drink is so savvy and just delicious. Make a reservation; this place is justifiably popular. We've added SON to our regular rotation of local restaurants. I can't imagine Mexican anywhere else now and look forward to eating my way through their menu.

• Visited September 2012