“I didn't want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Beaches, State Parks
Activities: Surfing, Walking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Popular with swimmers and surfers, this state park features 3.5 miles of sandy beaches.
Redlands, California
“I didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

First of all, the train is RIGHT on the beach--so cool. After we couldn't find parking at the city beach, we pulled right into a spot practically on the sand at the state beach. It seemed very private, but they did have a snack bar and bathrooms. This is exactly the beach I will go to next time.

6 attraction reviews
“A few hours on the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I loved being here.It was relaxing even though it was busy. Everyone was having fun. The beach was clean and the facilities were good.

Pasadena, California
17 attraction reviews
“The Best Family Beach Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We love going to SanO, AKA old mans. Very special beach where you can park right on the beach. The place has bathrooms and shoers are on the sand between plants and plam trees. there are fire pits and a perfect beach for people that wants to leanr to surf. Be aware on busy weekends and holidays if you dont get there early (the gate ones at 6 am) you can stay waiting in line for a long time. The beach closes at 10 pm. Also be prepared to bring eveything you need to drink or eat. There are no snack bars, stores or anything like that. If you come to spend the day, bring everything as a day camp. We usualy get there at 6 am and cook breakfast, lunch and dinner (usually a BBQ), then spend the last few hours by a firepit dancing to our music. Also, there are rocks on the beach so awater showe can be helpful.

Ontario, California, United States
“San Mateo Campground: NOT Beach Camping”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We reserved a campsite through Reserve America, looking for some beachfront camping. I was hoping to stay at Doheny Beach in Dana Point, but they were all booked up. So the agent told me about San Mateo Campground in San Onofre. She told me that there was a "Walking Trail" to the beach. I have three kids: 17, 10 and 3, and so I thought, "walking trail, ok, we can do that." My husband had to work, so he just brought us down to set us up, and then headed out. The bathrooms were dirty and frequently out of toilet paper, the showers required quarters (which the reservation agent neglected to tell us) and there were no facilities in the campground for buying ice, or wood, or any kind of supplies. There was nothing within walking distance for purchasing these items - - the only supermarket, "Ralphs" had moved or gone out of business. There was a Carls Jr., hamburger fast-food place about a mile from the campground. The "Walking trail" was mostly dirt and rock, and so severely uphill that my ten year old had difficulty navigating it, and my 17 year old and I traded off carrying the 3-year old on our backs. It was a hike for experienced hikers, not a mom and three kids in swimsuits and sneakers (thank goodness they weren't wearing flip-flops), carrying towels, buckets and a small ice chest with drinks. Upon arriving at the beach, I was disappointed to find that it was "The Trestle". If I had been a surfer, or knowledgeable about surfing, instead of a mom recently transplanted from Pennsylvania, I would have known that "The Trestle" is a surfing beach, not a swimming beach. There was no lifeguard, plenty of large rocks, and an abundance of rip currents.
In the end, my kids and I had a good time together, and a miserable time at the beach. We actually laugh about HOW miserable the campground, the hike, and the beach was. Do not trust Reserve America when you make reservations for state parks. They do not know. Talk to your friends. Get their recommendations. Ask them questions. Look at their pictures!

Visited July 2012
Laguna Beach
12 attraction reviews
“A step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Wish you had grown up on the beaches of So Cal back in the 50's and 60's? Here is your chance. Grab a beat up station wagon, load up the kids and the boards, and head down to the real deal. Pack some food as sunset here is tough to beat.

Visited June 2012