“Dream Botique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Tropicana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Clemente
Casa Tropicana
Save Saved
You added Casa Tropicana to your Saves list
610 Avenida Victoria, at the pier, San Clemente, CA 92672   |
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
California
“Dream Botique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

First time there after reading great Trip Advisor reviews. It was fabulous. One of the nicest boutique hotels I have ever stayed at all over the world. Great location across the street from a spectacular beach, overlooking the Pier. Exquisitely clean and well manicured. Rick and Susan were wonderful caring hosts who treated us like we were family. From now on the Casa will be our number one accommodation choice in SoCal.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
RC, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

We spent the night here for our anniversary. My wife's jaws dropped at the beauty of our place, the perfect location by the beach and such nice rooms. I read the reviews and decided to take a chance and booked it. I was not disappointed. The only downfall if there is one, is the train but they provide you with ear plugs for the night, although it did not wake me once without the ear plugs. My wife loved the bed and the tub. We checked in late and found the owner waiting for us before he locked up, we picked up a pizza a few feet from our hotel and it was awesome. We stayed in and 'talked'! The next morning we took a walk on the trail then returned and skimmed on the breakfast and walked across to the pier and had brunch at one of the two restaurants on the pier...We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

I love this hotel!! We were lucky enough to have the opportunity to stay at this hotel on a last minute family vacation. We took a trip up the coast from San Diego on the train and stopped in San Clemente. The hotel was within walking distance from the train stop and across from the pier which has a great reasonable restaurant over the water (or you can go to the fancier side on the other side of the pier). Hotel was very nice (and I am super picky). Fireplace, WINE!, snacks, breakfast (all included), BEAUTIFUL oceanfront view! Owners/Managers were so nice and hospitable to us and our two little girls. They made us feel right at home. This would be my 1st pick if we travel back again. I've never stayed anywhere like it. A great experience!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
San Clemente, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Casa Tropicana Inn is a magical getaway that whispers love from every alluring beachy appointed suite. This boutique hotel is located in downtown San Clemente directly across from the azure Pacific and the San Clemente Pier. My special friend and I needed an escape from our visiting college children. Sue and Rick, the owners of the inn, attended to every detail; rose pedals on the bed, sea salts for the Jacuzzi tub and chilled champagne in the personal fridge. We loved the room so much we never left. Rick put us in touch with the corner Italian restaurant who delivered us a tomato basal pizza to die for. I think it was the best champagne and pizza dinner I have ever had….Really! Thank you Casa Tropicana Inn! We will be back. Kids are home again for Christmas Break for a month!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

We stayed at this Inn for 4 nights. The views are lovely as they overlook the beach. We had our children with us, but it would make a superb romantic getaway!
The bed was the best we have ever slept in, and we have travelled a lot, really lovely mattress etc.
The breakfast was brought up to us, it was a continental breakfast which was quite sufficient. We were provided with a beach bag, beach chairs, bat and ball and a blanket. You could also help yourself to tea and coffee whenever you wanted.
The train is quite noisy, but you get used to it!
The town is within walking distance, and their is free parking available.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

We found ourselves taking a little drive from North Orange Country and stopped in San Clemente to enjoy the ocean and walk the pier. Had only been there once before, and it was such a beautiful day (saw a giant rainbow), with great weather, so we thought we would be spontaneous and stay the night. The options near the beach didnt seem very good (per Trip Advisor) except for Casa Tropicana Inn - but, its basic rate was way more than I was willing to pay for a hotel room - yep, Im a cheap skate!! I called them anyway as I was standing right outside their door and asked if they could give me a deal - first the price was reduced by about $100.00 - still pricey for a spur of the moment type of thing - but then, if we passed on breakfast and didnt consume the free wine and champagne in the minibar, he was willing to go cheaper - we went for it.

What a sweet little place, only about 8 rooms, each decorated in a beachy decor. We had a room with a fireplace and two person jacuzzi tub - comfy bed and free gated parking!!! We had access to a patio overlooking the beach and pier with nice tables and chairs where you could hang out for quite a while. Some of the rooms have private balconies, one with a jacuzzi. The breakfast looked good, fresh fruit and muffins, plus french pressed coffee and the free mini bar is a nice touch. Its right across from the Pier and lots of small cafes and restaurants are right down the street.

I would have gone 5 stars but since my boyfriend walks with a cane, the stairs were an issue and there are allot of stairs. Plus, they provide ear plugs because unless you are a super sound sleeper you will be woken up by the trains that go by all night - with the earplugs I didnt hear a thing! All in all, if we could get the same deal, I would stay there again - we are thinking of taking Amtrack down there as the platform is right in front of the pier and you dont need a car to get around.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Ojai, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Good location across the quiet street from the San Clemente Pier. We were charged $325 plus tax for a room that should have been $225 at most. They call themselves a B & B, but I would call them a European style small hotel. Our room exited directly out to the shared kitchen/patio along with two other rooms. The bed was very comfortable, but the room was tight. The linens were fine. Parking was included, but it was a 1/2 block walk away. There was no charge for the mini-bar items which included wine and champagne, soda, candy bars, etc. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, March 5, 2011
Money is tighter. So we just keep trying harder

Rick Anderson: Owner
Thank you for your review. However, Sue and I are sorry you didn’t find value in your stay. We try very hard to make sure everyone has a great time with us. From your review it seems the main thing that didn’t hit the mark with you was the room rate. Your stay was on a weekend and due to demand, and industry standard, our weekend rates are a little more. We are also small as you said, only having eight luxurious rooms right at the San Clemente pier and ocean front. With Jacuzzi tubs, fire places, flat screen TV’s, and hot fresh homemade breakfast’s, featuring Starbucks fresh ground coffee made in French coffee presses. You mentioned the parking being a few feet away from our building, but you didn’t mention it is also free of charge every night of your stay in a secured parking structure. Try to find that almost anywhere else today. Also normally we do have a two night minimum for weekend stays, but we made an exception in your case to accommodate your travel plans. Most guests love our offerings and find an abundance of value, especially in the honor bar you mentioned. Just as one example, we stock it daily the whole time of your stay with 25 items, no matter what you enjoy…at no extra charge. I don’t know of anywhere in the world that does that for free! So my conclusion is, you just didn’t stay long enough to enjoy all we do offer, and fall in love with us as most of our guests have done. But that’s okay, you can come back, and try again. By the way I do understand, honestly, money is very tight right now. People do have different price points, Sue and I know we can’t please everyone, but we still try.

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!