“New favorite spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Tropicana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Clemente
Casa Tropicana
You added Casa Tropicana to your Saves list
610 Avenida Victoria, at the pier, San Clemente, CA 92672   |
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Corona, California
“New favorite spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

A breathtaking view of the ocean, beautifully decorated rooms, and the friendliest staff of a bed and breakfast... who could ask for more?

I have found my new and only place to vacation here in So Cal. I wish we could have stayed longer, but we had to return to reality sooner or later. I can't explain the perfection they displayed here at the Casa Tropicana Inn in San Clemente.

It was right across the street from the pier and Fisherman's Restaurant.

Housekeeping, I forgot her name, is the nicest lady I met that really cared about how we liked our entire stay there, and was open to comments and suggestions. She has been there for 23 years, since the day they opened- as it still there! That tells you something... that they treat their staff like family. Also, the front desk lady, forgot the name also, she ALSO has been there since the day they opened and she is sooo friendly as well! The owners must be caring and nice for them because what staff would work there for two decades if they weren't being treated kindly. I mean, that is so awesome! It feels like they are all family.

They keep the entire exterior and interior very tidy, nicely decorated, and feeling homely, but a very nice, like if it was YOUR home nice.

All I kept thinking about was how much my family would enjoy this place!!!
IT IS DEFINITELY A HIDDEN GEM OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA that I now consider my favorite vacation spot closest to home.

I even got used to the train sounds which I wasn't really used to at first. So now, honest to truth, every time I hear or see a train go by, I think of the most relaxing time I had at Casa Tropicana Inn in beautiful, sunny San Clemente!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us!

All of us here at Casa Tropicana Boutique Beach Front Inn are delighted you had such a wonderful time here at our sea side getaway! Especially our staff as you had so many wonderful complements for them. And yes, our housekeeper, Liz has been with us since before day one, over 23 years ago. Her brother was working setting tiles on the decks of our new building and I needed someone to help clean the windows after the plastering of the exterior of then inn. He recommended Liz. She started part time to help clean up, and then she helped unwrap the new bed linen’s and make the first beds. We had our first check in and she did the first room turn…and never left us. She truly is family. All of our grandkids now call her grandma Liz.

All of our staff has been happily working for us for years, and why not…look where they get to work! Thank you for saying so many wonderful things about our operation.

Please come back and say to hi to Sue or I next time you get to stay with us! We look forward to it.
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

we are locals and went down to san clemente for farmers market and then decided to stay the night beachside at casa tropicana. the room was great the view was awesome . the service was terrific they gave use free champagne, rose petals on the bed, breakfast in the morning on the deck. great overnight stay . the restaurant downstairs is also very good under a new chef. very romantic and alot of fun . 4 stars thanks everyone who works there
just know this is san clemente by the pier and there is a train , but hey who cares

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
My wife Sue and I love it when guests come by from not too far away and enjoy a little romantic getaway with us here the San Clemente pier! This is actually why I build the inn back in 1989. When I first saw the property I knew it was too beautiful not to share. That’s why I decided to buy the land and build our little Inn right here. We are especially glad you enjoyed our great staff and little extras. Thanks for coming by and please hurry back!
Rick Anderson Owner
Huntington Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a one night stay at the Casa Tropicana two weekends ago. Our room was ocean/balcony front and we completely enjoyed the views and having our breakfast on the balcony. The weather was perfect, was warm starting early in the day. I did mention that it was our anniversary when making the reservation and fresh rose petals were scattered on our bed and around the bathtub. It was lovely and added to the specialness of the stay. It is a little pricy but we wanted something out of the ordinary for our anniversary. The trains did not run that night, I don't know if that is normal or not, but they did start at about 7:20 the next morning. And they come often and are loud! The trains are the biggest negative about staying here. It was a very convenient location for walking the pier and to the beach and for people watching. A very comfortable and romantic room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
We both, want to thank you both, for deciding to share your anniversary with us! It sounds like we did a bang up job of meeting your exaptation’s. I know the train sometimes gets annoying, but it’s just something we have to live with being in one of the most beautiful beach towns in Southern California. It’s not a secret, just one of the facts of life living beach front here in San Clemente California for everyone in the whole town. Please come back and visit us again.
Rick Anderson Owner
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

On our honeymoon from Ireland, we decided to splash out on a 3 night stay at Casa Tropicana. We were expecting a luxurious stay for the price we paid. But we had a number of issues which dissappointed us:

1. Our "ocean view". While the view from our room was fab, the fact that anyone staying on our floor, the floor above us or any of the staff could pass our window (as in directly in front of our window) or sit on the shared decking (again directly in front of our window), meant that we did not at any stage open the blinds (as shown in the website photos). So our "ocean view" that we were so looking forward to was redundant.

2. The train - we were told on arrival that there is a train and had to sign a sheet saying we had read that there was a train passing - highly unusual!! Anyway the train is loud - super loud, meaning the windows had to be closed at night. Even with the windows closed, we were woken every time the train passed and did not have a good nights sleep for the 3 nights. On top of that, the fact that there was no air conditioning, meant that leaving the windows closed (to try to block a little of the noise) made the room even warmer, again making it difficult and uncomfortable to sleep.

3. Our booking.com invoice had said there was a private balcony. I understand, now looking at the casa tropicana website that it is stated that it is stated that there is a "common ocean view deck", however our booking invoice had said we had a private deck - this may have been a booking.com problem, but we were very disappointed that we had lost both our ocean view and private deck, which was where we had been really looking forward to on the rest of our trip. I understand that if we had read the detail on the website we would have noticed this, but the photos do suggest that we would have a private balcony.

4. In each of the other hotels we stayed in in California, we were congratulated on our honeymoon and usually upgraded or given a fruit platter or some champagne, which was lovely. While we did not expect this, I had put on the booking form that it was our honeymoon and any special arrangements would be appreciated. It was never mentioned to us that it was our honeymoon by anyone in Casa Tropicana.

5. We were charged the balance of our charge when we arrived at Casa Tropicana. I had an incling that it did not add up correctly and when I checked our invoice (which I luckily had on my phone), I calculated that they had overcharged us by nearly $40

On the other hand, the staff were lovely, the room was comfortable and it was nice to have a supply of water, juice and snacks. If we had paid $200 a night, it would have been lovely, but for any more than that I would expect more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon.

I am glad you decided to come to San Clemente to celebrate it. But I’m very sorry you felt we disappointed you. After reading your review, I questioned my staff about your stay. From my general manager to our housekeeper, they said you both seemed to love it here. They said your comments were all positive and they had no clue you were unhappy. At checkout time my manager said you very much enjoyed your stay. You have given me quite a list of grievances so I’ll try to address each one for you. At least I can try to give you an explanation.

1. I just had the same comment regarding our ocean view decks in the review before yours. I explained that our ocean view decks are unbeatable. They are common decks for rooms on the second & third floor. Again this is very much a part of the character of our inn. Our guests love being able to meet and make new friends on their decks. Many times over the last 22 years neighbors have met each other for the first time right here on these decks. For more privacy, I’d recommend the third floor with only 2 rooms on it. Or the Casa Del Rey Penthouse with its completely private deck.

2. Trains. First, that’s not fair! Our registration form does state trains run along the tracks and are required by law to sound their horns at the crossings. This is California, land of the lawyers. It also discloses, you agree to pay for your room, smoking in the rooms is $125, no pets, missing key and parking remote charges, check-out times, and so on. It’s not unusual, its litigation land. It is true there is a train track between the beach and us. This is no secret. The train tracks are highly visible when you check in. We have it on our website and many guests have commented on it right here on trip advisor. The large majority are not negative about it, and say it adds to their southern California experience. They do run mostly during the commuter hours of the day. And we do get a freight or two sometimes at night. Sue and I live on the property and we honestly don’t hear them at night. We’ve become used to them. I also wished you would have let us know about you desire for air conditioning. We have several rooms with AC. Generally here at the beach it’s cool at nights, so our ocean front rooms don’t generally need AC.

3. Booking .com does list our common decks, and our private Casa Del Rey Penthouse private deck. As you noted our website accurately describes our decks as common, and private. With all of these booking engines out there we have experienced several miss representations. We have not been successful in correcting some of them. We have decided to no longer use booking.com. I apologize if our website photos were miss interpreted by you. But as you again pointed out, if you read the website you would have noticed that.

4. Your room was decorated with rose pedals on the bed, and in the bathroom. There was a full bottle of champagne and fully stocked mini fridge free of charge filled each and every day of your stay at no charge. From anyone visiting us from Ireland, or anywhere in the world this should seem very special. I know this because we do this for every guest who arrives to stay with us. I would have hoped that would be considered special for your honeymoon. We however had no knowledge this was your honeymoon. I checked your reservation and there were no notes regarding this special occasion. Booking.com’s notes didn’t translate to our reservation system. I just wished you would have appreciated the free bottle of Champaign and rose pedals you seem to have overlooked. Although you say it’s not expected, your suggestion we overlooked it seems to imply it was required.

5. This brings us to our final point regarding booking.com and booking center tribulations. The total they sold you the room for was discounted by them to you. We did make the mistake of charging you our regular rate. My manager corrected this upon your check out and refunded the difference to you right there before you left the property.

Finally, you are one tough reviewer, but thank you for your comments. We have made some changes with your valued input. We will continue to try to relay correctly and accurately what we do have to offer our guests through our website, and on the phone. Thank you for taking quite a bit of time to let us know your thoughts.

Armonk, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

You will like this inn, it is about 100 yards from the train tracks. The commuter trains run about every 40 minutes and give a nice blast as they come through San Clemente. The intersection bell also starts ringing about 2 minutes before the train arrives. It is a bad sign when you see ear plugs on the night table. This is no an Inn so much as it is a boarding house over a bar. The rooms are not air conditioned, and on a hot day, they stay warm all night because there is no cross-ventilation. You might have a room that looks out on a shared patio that everyone needs to walk by as they go up and down stairs. You need to keep the door open because you would suffocate if you didn't. Our room was furnished in some kind of funky decor that was just weird.
Very expensive for what it is. True, the views of the beach across the tracks is nice, especially at sun set, but, believe me, it is not worth the noise and the heat.

Room Tip: our tip would be to stay away.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I am sorry the trains diminished your experience with us. It is very true there is a train track between the beach and us. This is no secret. We have it on our website and many guests have commented on it right here on trip advisor. The large majority are not negative about it, and say it adds to their southern California experience. They do run mostly during the commuter hours of the day. And we do get a freight or two sometimes at night. Sue and I live on the property and we honestly don’t hear them at night. We’ve become used to them. Our ocean view decks are unbeatable. There are common decks for rooms on some floors. Again this is very much a part of the character of our inn. Our guests love being able to meet and make new friends on their decks. Many times over the last 22 years neighbors have met each other for the first time right here on these decks. For more privacy, I’d recommend the third floor with only 2 rooms on it. Or the Casa Del Rey Penthouse with its completely private deck. Unfortunately you were anticipating something we didn’t offer in the room you chose. I am sorry for that. We do not ever try to represent ourselves as something we’re not. That would be crazy as once you arrive, anyone could see for themselves what the facts are. This would tactic be very destructive behavior and detrimental to our family business and is one that we won’t subscribe to. A Boarding House over a bar is a really an unfair comment. We are a Boutique Bed & Breakfast Inn. Our amenities are outstanding, our staff accommodating and there is a very nice restaurant, that does serve Margarita’s etc. on the first floor called Sunsets. Again I regret your opinion is that our décor is funky, we have won several awards for it and have been featured in Sunset Magazine and several other publications. I have learned long ago it’s impossible to please everyone, so we strive for the majority. We are very glad you did enjoy the beach views and our spectacular sunsets.
Clovis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I'm an ex-SC local and had to travel from Fresno (long story) to SC for business. I figured I'd try the Trop. Glad I did. Superb location and great rooms. I give it a five because I love all things San Clemente BUT, I do think the bathrooms need a little updating (at least the one in my room). Regardless, the Trop is a great value and a fun place to stay. Oh yeah, bring your significant other. I was solo this time, but will definitely bring my wife next time.

• Stayed July 2012
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Welcome Home

We’re glad you shared your homecoming with us. It’s always nice to be able to rediscover your home town from such a great centrally located wonderfull Inn. Being in the center of San Clemente at the beach and pier I know you relived a lot of memories. Thanks for the great review and I will look into our bath rooms for you.

Saint George, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We planned our wedding in five days! We stumbled across Casa Tropicana by way of a friends suggestion. I booked online which was a painless process. The location was perfect as we were married directly across the street on San Clemente beach. The staff was professional, extremely cheerful and welcoming! Upon returning to our room, we found our luggage neatly placed to one side of the room(we left it scattered everywhere!) and the bed and tub covered in rose petals with a 4 foot champagne glass filled with ice, a bottle of champagne and glasses--the TV was tuned to a romantic music station! Touches and attention like this will bring us back again and again!!

Room Tip: Not a bad room at the hotel--full of ambiance!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Seahorse Resort
Seahorse Resort
#6 of 18 in San Clemente
4.0 of 5 stars 105 reviews

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!