On our honeymoon from Ireland, we decided to splash out on a 3 night stay at Casa Tropicana. We were expecting a luxurious stay for the price we paid. But we had a number of issues which dissappointed us:
1. Our "ocean view". While the view from our room was fab, the fact that anyone staying on our floor, the floor above us or any of the staff could pass our window (as in directly in front of our window) or sit on the shared decking (again directly in front of our window), meant that we did not at any stage open the blinds (as shown in the website photos). So our "ocean view" that we were so looking forward to was redundant.
2. The train - we were told on arrival that there is a train and had to sign a sheet saying we had read that there was a train passing - highly unusual!! Anyway the train is loud - super loud, meaning the windows had to be closed at night. Even with the windows closed, we were woken every time the train passed and did not have a good nights sleep for the 3 nights. On top of that, the fact that there was no air conditioning, meant that leaving the windows closed (to try to block a little of the noise) made the room even warmer, again making it difficult and uncomfortable to sleep.
3. Our booking.com invoice had said there was a private balcony. I understand, now looking at the casa tropicana website that it is stated that it is stated that there is a "common ocean view deck", however our booking invoice had said we had a private deck - this may have been a booking.com problem, but we were very disappointed that we had lost both our ocean view and private deck, which was where we had been really looking forward to on the rest of our trip. I understand that if we had read the detail on the website we would have noticed this, but the photos do suggest that we would have a private balcony.
4. In each of the other hotels we stayed in in California, we were congratulated on our honeymoon and usually upgraded or given a fruit platter or some champagne, which was lovely. While we did not expect this, I had put on the booking form that it was our honeymoon and any special arrangements would be appreciated. It was never mentioned to us that it was our honeymoon by anyone in Casa Tropicana.
5. We were charged the balance of our charge when we arrived at Casa Tropicana. I had an incling that it did not add up correctly and when I checked our invoice (which I luckily had on my phone), I calculated that they had overcharged us by nearly $40
On the other hand, the staff were lovely, the room was comfortable and it was nice to have a supply of water, juice and snacks. If we had paid $200 a night, it would have been lovely, but for any more than that I would expect more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spanish-inspired architecture, ocean views, stylish comfortable decor and a relaxed atmosphere. We invite you to enjoy sunset from an ocean view deck Casa Tropicana Hotel in San Clemente is located steps from the beach and close to many local faves – Casa Romantica, San Juan Capistrano Mission and Disneyland. Your stay includes breakfast, snacks and wine. Offering complimentary amenities - beach bags and chairs, flat screen TVs, fireplaces, robes and Jacuzzi tubs. Great off season prices. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Casa Tropicana Hotel San Clemente
- Casa Tropicana San Clemente