“Wedding day stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Tropicana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Clemente
Casa Tropicana
610 Avenida Victoria, at the pier, San Clemente, CA 92672   |
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in San Clemente
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Wedding day stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed at the Casa Tropicana in the Casa Del Ray Penthouse suit on our wedding night on April 5, 2012.
We do not live in the US and we researched this hotel frequently. We were happy with the reviews and the photos. We checked in the day of our wedding. The staff were friendly, the view was breathtaking, and the memories were amazing. The room is definitely worth staying in if you are looking for a special time away at an amazing beach. The bed was great to sleep in, the furniture was cute, there was access to a fridge and microwave, a hot tub, a private balcony.
The only things that I was unhappy with was: there were some dark discolouration to the carpet, one of the sliding doors was off its hinges before we even touched it, one of the lighbulbs blew when we turned the light on, the hot tub would not respond to being turned off, only one of the shower heads worked and the pressure of the working shower head was poor, the sink would not drain properly, and the taps turned on and off in opposite directions. I know these things are minor fixes but as someone who paid a lot of money to stay here, i was looking for something that was going to be fantastic; and I feel like if you're going to spend good money on a great hotel room, everything should be in working order and should be checked. It upset me a little bit that there were so many minor problems with the room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Holbrook, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Casa Tropicana for our 25th Anniversary. Very cozy room.....albeit a little on the small side.....but not a real big problem. We arrived in San Clemente early in the day and they were very accomodating to allow us to check in early and that was huge for us!!!! They had our room ready and even had lit the fireplace for us!!! THANK YOU RICK and staff!!!!
The breakfast menu was the same every day and we have stayed at other B&B's and had more of a variety for breakfast.....but the food was delicious!!!! The refrigerator was well stocked with water, sodas, juice and "goodies"!!! Overall we LOVED Casa Tropicana and San Clemente!!! (Fisherman's Restaurant across from Casa was SUPERB!!!!)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here last Saturday to celebrate our birthdays. We had seen many good reviews on Trip Advisor, and we weren't disappointed! Rick was the consummate host, checked us in and even came immediately when we needed an "unstopping" in the bath. He came by later to wish everybody a great stay. We loved the fact that we could go out on the balcony after a nice jacuzzi, wrap ourselves up in the ponchos provided, and listen to the sounds of the waves and nothing else. I am in the hotel business myself, and I can tell you, this was REAL hospitality! We will be back again soon.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Casa Tropicana was beyond amazing! I most especially loved to feeling of the family owned atmosphere! Such a great small town feeling with luxury and attention to detail! No corporate America here. no nickle and dimming the guest to death. Rick the owner is onsite and just so charming! We felt like we were staying with family. I loved the feeling of the shared porch area, again added to the friendly feeling. Had a blast just chatting up the owner, guests and locals! The restaurants at the pier were full of friendly people and the food was killer! Just classic 5 star service without pretension. CHEERS!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Just got back from San Clemente where I spent a weekend. Loved the Casa Tropicana. Across from the San Clemente Pier. Great view, comfy bed, friendly service. Breakfast was yummy. We had a GREAT time!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. We were fully aware of 2 things prior to booking, 1) the train tracks in front of the hotel and 2) the Sunset bar on the ground floor. The rooms were nicely set up, with rose petals on the bed and in the bath, as we checked in. Unfortunately, the shower head wasn't working. We informed the owner and this was promptly replaced. The bath tub was a little stained and the signs of use were quite evident. The tap on the sink was also leaking slightly.
The train runs every 15 to 20 mins from about 6.00am to about 11.00pm. If you're up for an early night or want to sleep in, i'm not sure if ear-plugs will help. It certainly didn't help me. The issue is the trains sound their whistle (or rather horn) - this over a few times as the approach the front of the hotel. Sunset bar wasn't too much of an issue. We could hear the music in the room (we were on the first floor, above the restaurant), but if we had the TV on, it was fine and the music tended to stop after 11.00pm. Breakfast was okay. Overally, in terms of price-value, I don't think Casa Tropicana offers this - it's far too pricey and I would expect a higher level of attention to detail in the room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We were just visiting for overnight, so thought a bed & breakfast would be fun! It does have a great view & great proximity to the pier. We were greeted warmly and given free rein of the property. However, we had trouble repeatedly with the parking remote & our sink was seriously stopped up! Then, we realized there is a very noisy bar underneath the inn!!!
Music & loud talking until 1:00 AM so that I needed ear plugs! This was not mentioned on their website! The last complaint I want to register was about their so called "breakfast"! It consisted of scrambled eggs with cheese, a fruit cup & a muffin from Costco! So cheap & also not as advertised!!! I have stayed in a lot of B&Bs & this was a very disappointing breakfast! I have eaten better at one of those motels with free breakfast bars!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Every now and then we do get helpful reviews.

In this case some of the issues pointed out were for real, some not much. Sue remembered these guests. She checked them in. Mainly because of the complaint of the parking remotes, this seems to be the beginning of the end for us.

Sue did in fact give the guest three different remotes to access the parking garage. However, the failure was due to operator error. The remote’s were subsequently tested, and the gate opened in all three cases. They have before, and since been used without failure. Also in fact the sink was draining slowly. Thanks for that comment. Sue told me they mentioned when she checked them out that morning. I did clean out the drain the same day Sue told me about it. I would have been happy to do it while they were here, but was unaware. Thanks for the heads up.

I was also upset to hear about the charge of loud music till 1:00 am that night. I personally didn’t hear any. Sue and I live onsite. So I forwarded a copy of the review to the owner of Sunset’s downstairs, and here is his reply: We have never had music anywhere near 1 am. Our music ends at 11:00. Please give us the night of this alleged incident and a print out of the trip adviser report. I am confident that we will be able to show there was no music at that time. I have a noise monitoring system in place at the edge of the premises. This is the exact same unit that the police use to monitor noise complaints so we can insure there is no variance from one unit to another. Several times a night our managers are required to log the noise levels of the music to insure issues like this can be shown as untrue. We do this so that we can show the authorities that we are in line with the city rules and regs. Very truly yours, Damian.

He was upset at the accusation, and defended his noise policy vigorously. Again, no one else had any complaints about any loud music. There are no base instruments or drums allowed for the entertainment. The groups are small; 1-2 musician’s playing very mellow music mainly as back ground music. There is no dancing, and the entertainment is well received by guests as a way to enjoy the evening without having to leave the property. We both manage this very closely.

I also am sorry they were disappointed in their breakfast. There are several options for you to choose from. Most guest reviews celebrate our breakfast. B&B’s have lots of perceptions from shared bath rooms to gourmet breakfasts. However, every inn is different and so are their amenities, which include breakfast. We serve what the vast majority of our guests want. Leaving room for that minority that isn’t as enamored with our customer motivated menu. I guess we just struck out with them. We’ve learned once that: I’m not happy rock gets rolling, a landslide of grief often follows, and it’s easy to get buried in it.

While they were here, they were both very friendly and seemed to love the place. We don’t know what happened that changed that. But something did. All we can hope is perhaps another visit might help change their opinion. We hope we have the opportunity.
Rick/ Owner

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!