“If you don't mind trains.....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in San Carlos
Calgary, Canada
“If you don't mind trains.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Whoever said you can't hear the trains, must be deaf. We were in a room directly facing the tracks, and though we were not woken by them in the morning, the trains running in the evening / night were louder (maybe the way the wind blew??) and managed to wake our sound sleeping son...twice.
The hotel room was clean and the staff polite.
At first I thought breakfast area was clean as well, until you really look, there is old dried food and crud in the bottoms of all the cutlery trays, condiment containers and other like things.
The owner or management seems really cheap, the fountain in the eating area was turned off at exactly 10 when breakfast was due to be over, despite people still being in there, all fridges in the rooms are turned off, and other quirky little things like that.
Overall we might stay again as a last resort, we would desire a room on the other side of hotel, wouldn't eat the breakfast and wouldn't bank on being able to use the fridge.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the tracks
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

What an awesome 4 night stay I had there recently. Beautifully large decorated room, clean, great staff and good location. The king bed I had was so comfortable and allowed me to have a good night sleep each night. If your visiting SF for $10 a person you can take the Caltrain into the city from either of 2 stations - Belmont or San Carlos, 40 minutes and your in, no traffic, no parking fees, and from there you can explore on foot or public transportation. The high speed internet was truly high speed, making my home internet seem slow. Great breakfast in the morning, with a variety of hot and cold foods, cereal, breads, pastries, waffles, etc. Fresh baked cookies in the afternoon, fruit & snacks during the day. I had a lot of trepidation about staying at a CI & S after my last two - espcially the Long Island City fiasco, but this place is as close to perfect as you can get - and the rates are very competitive for the area. The only drawback is the Caltrain - it runs so frequent and the windows aren't or don't appear to be soundproof, but after a while I didn't hear them. McDonalds directly across the street, Taco Bell right beside offer a couple of quick meal options, but there are some great restaurants in the area. Went to an Afgan restaurant just up the street that was amazing. Close enough to the 101, about 5 minutes away to get to SFO, San Fran, San Jose or add another 5 to get to the San Mateo Bridge to get across to the East Bay. The outdoor pool iis a bit small without a hot tub, but it appeared that it wasn't heated, which I would have expected with the cooler weather they get. Would I stay here again? DEFINITELY!! It has changed my opinion enough about Country Inn that I will consider it more than I have. A job well done by everyone in San Carlos!

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms on the east side of the building, the Caltrain runs very frequently & can kee...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I helped my 75 yr old mother book a room at this hotel and of-course booked at the senior rate. At check out I noticed they did not give her the senior rate. I was sure this would be easily taken care of...IT WAS NOT! I would never come back to this hotel due to the customer service we received. The rooms were also not very impressive...no idea why they are called "suites".

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Generalmanager251, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson - San Carlos, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. I was unware of this issue so please call me directly at the Hotel to apply the discount changes for you. We appologise for the inconvienience caused & look foward to seeing you in future.

Also please beware that we do have Suites but they are Jr or Studio Suites only which has a King Size Bed & a Pull Out Sofabed.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was touring around Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties, where hotels can be pretty pricey. Saw this place on my airline's site. Pros: good value, clean, nice staff, close to restaurants (a long walk, or short drive to downtown SC), decent free breakfast. Cons: Wifi was weak at times, fitness club small and lacking equipment, smelled odd. Structured like an Embassy Suites, with three round floors looking down into the lobby. No restaurant or vending machines. Looks like that recently renovated. I would return next time I'm in the area, if rates are the same.

Room Tip: I was in a room on the El Camino side which was relatively quiet. I did notice the CalTrain on the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Citrus Heights, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great value for a nice hotel. Must have been recently upgraded. My wife and I stayed there for a weekend soccer tournament in Palo Alto. We had a room with a jacuzzi tub (just what was needed after a long day of playing soccer). For a short drive you get a very nice hotel and room for half the cost in Palo Alto. And a short walk away is a fine Peruvian restaurant, Emelina's.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very clean; all staff are very courteous, conscientious and helpful. They aim to please, going the extra mile. My company allows me to choose any local motel, and I choose them. I’ve stayed at the others in the area, but they don’t compare, not even close.

Room Tip: I like the third floor for the exeercise taking the stairs, but the elevator is always available whe...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sierra Foothills, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel has recently been completely renovated. The exterior doesnt do the new interior justice. Rooms are nicely appointed with great LCD TVs, satellite channels, comfy bedding. Breakfast is very good, and the staff is fantastic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson - San Carlos? Share your experiences!