“Great Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in San Carlos
Willows, California
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This was a great place to stay. We were very tired when we arrived, and the front desk clerk was so friendly. The room was very clean and spacious. This is also one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in...even with train tracks just a few hundred feet away. The breakfast in the morning was great, and the staff was extremely friendly. I will definitely be staying in the hotel when I am back in the San Carlos area again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
previse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

This is an attractive, conveniently located, comfortable hotel. It’s clean, and has a good breakfast. The Internet service is excellent. At the front desk, Mario was friendly, efficient, and a good sport about being stuck working on Christmas. There were minor inconveniences in room design and small signs of wear here and there, but this is an excellent place and I would look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed one night: Saturday 26 November 2011 in Room 109. I booked the hotel because it was in one of my rewards programs, was close to Stanford, and was priced very well. I prepaid at $59 plus tax but had to choose a room with a king sized bed as the rooms with two beds were $30 more. We arrived very early, about 10:30 am, after a short drive from the city where we had picked up our rental, and the room was ready. I was able to rent a car from National with no drop off charges and a good price even though I picked it up downtown and returned it to the airport. I was a little apprehensive about staying in a room that connected directed to the lobby, but there were no issues concerning noise or safety. We checked in and only stayed about 30 minutes before making the short drive down to Stanford. El Camino Real-no turns except one u-turn just after we left the hotel where we had to exit north due to divided highway, and we were at Stanford. We did stop at a Trader Joes and got some beer and snacks on the way. Although the football game didn't turn out as preferred, it was great to visit Stanford and Palo Alto again, although the last time I was there an earthquake occurred 10 days later-Oct 1989. We had lunch at a great place called Sliders, an easy walk from where we parked on the campus. As stated earlier, the room had the one king sized bed. There was a refrigerator but no safe. The bathroom was standard with toilet and tub/shower. The sink was in the room entryway, and plenty of amenities were provided. The tv received ample stations. The view from the window in the room was of a fenced in area-not pretty but hard for someone to see in as well. There was a chair in the corner. The wifi worked fine. No complaints with the room except about the bed. When we returned from the game, I wanted pizza. I found a place, Round Table Pizza, that took on line orders, but after I put in my credit card info, it would keep making me start over so I called the place, and no one answered. I called my credit card company and no charge had been authorized. I called the front desk and was told that the sane pizze place had a location in the next town, San Mateo. He gave me the number. I called and placed my order. It came and the pizza was good, especially the crust. I was a liitle ticked off the next morning when I saw pizza menus and more about 10 feet from my room-as I said the room opened onto the lobby. I wish the guy at the front desk had told me that. I hadn't had a chance to explore the lobby area when we checked in and didn't think about it after the game. One other issue was breakfast: I was expecting at least one meat choice. That day they had sausage gravy and considered that meat. Bacon, sausage patties or links, or ham should be available each day-at least one. When I asked, the nice young lady offered to make me sausage patties-she made me 2, and I was very appreciative. They had scrambled eggs which were ok after I added ketchup-I only do that with mass produced eggs. I prefer eggs over medium but don't expect those at this type of hotel so not disappointed. I was able to print my boarding passes for my Monday morning flight at the work station without any problems. Check out went smoothly, the car was untouched, and we headed to Half Moon Bay to begin our leisurely dirve down to Santa Cruz before returning to an airport hotel before our early am flight the next day. I would definitely consider staying here when I return to a Stanford football game, but I would prefer to stay at one of the hotels within walking distance, if they are not full or priced too high. This place at less than $70 including tax with a good breakfast and its newness were positves. All of the people were very friendly. It's a good choice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Was forced to stay at this place because my office couldnt find me any other decent hotel. The hotel needs major work. The room looked like it hasnt been redesigned since the 80s. The furniture and the carpet although clean, were totally worn-out, the TV set was atleast 20 years old and the iron was faulty. Even when I kept the iron on the lowest possible setting, it still managed to burn 2 of my good tops and on complaining the person at the recieption gave me an option of "check-out if you dont like it".
Bad service, Bad but clean room, horrible bed which game be a backache, old and barely working bathroom ... that about sums it up.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Temecula, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We planned to be in the Bay area for several days, visiting family and friends in Palo Alto, San Mateo, and San Jose. San Carlos was a good central location and provided good value. Hotel was located in a good, safe area and the daily breakfast was very good. Hotel staff was excellent!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Based on the price we were paying, I was scared that this would be a sleezy hotel in a sketchy neighborhood. We just needed it for one night because we were flying into SFO, and going to an Oakland A's game then heading out to Napa, so I thought we could deal with it for the price. I WAS AMAZED...it was the nicest place we stayed on our vacation! Excellent location, and nearby an In 'N Out Burger!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband stayed here during a trip to California for our niece's graduation. The hotel was clean, the room was very nice and the price very reasonable. We had an emergency situation during my husband's stay, but Parry Bir, along with his awesome staff went above and beyond to not only assist us, but to followup to ensure everything was taken care of. That kind of customer service doesn't happen often. We will absolutely return and recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the area!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson - San Carlos? Share your experiences!