“Worst stay ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in San Carlos
New York City, New York
“Worst stay ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Was forced to stay at this place because my office couldnt find me any other decent hotel. The hotel needs major work. The room looked like it hasnt been redesigned since the 80s. The furniture and the carpet although clean, were totally worn-out, the TV set was atleast 20 years old and the iron was faulty. Even when I kept the iron on the lowest possible setting, it still managed to burn 2 of my good tops and on complaining the person at the recieption gave me an option of "check-out if you dont like it".
Bad service, Bad but clean room, horrible bed which game be a backache, old and barely working bathroom ... that about sums it up.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Temecula, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We planned to be in the Bay area for several days, visiting family and friends in Palo Alto, San Mateo, and San Jose. San Carlos was a good central location and provided good value. Hotel was located in a good, safe area and the daily breakfast was very good. Hotel staff was excellent!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Based on the price we were paying, I was scared that this would be a sleezy hotel in a sketchy neighborhood. We just needed it for one night because we were flying into SFO, and going to an Oakland A's game then heading out to Napa, so I thought we could deal with it for the price. I WAS AMAZED...it was the nicest place we stayed on our vacation! Excellent location, and nearby an In 'N Out Burger!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband stayed here during a trip to California for our niece's graduation. The hotel was clean, the room was very nice and the price very reasonable. We had an emergency situation during my husband's stay, but Parry Bir, along with his awesome staff went above and beyond to not only assist us, but to followup to ensure everything was taken care of. That kind of customer service doesn't happen often. We will absolutely return and recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the area!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed during 2 separate weeks, different rooms, one King, one double Queen. The location is very convenient, with shops, restaurants, CVS, Barnes and Noble and just about everything you might need nearby. It is right next to a Taco Bell and across from a McDonald's and Baja Fresh. The drive to San Francisco was never more than 20 minutes, even with heavy traffic. This, btw, is the first time I ever write a review and that's only because this place truly deserves it! Country Inn and Suites, San Carlos, has by far, one of the friendliest, most accommodating staffs I have ever dealt with. They gave me wonderful rates, helped me with my special requests and were always ready to help with whatever was needed. The hotel itself is beautiful. Not necessarily fancy, but definitely quaint, clean, and has a home-like feel to it! It has a small fitness room and laundry room. Free Hi Speed Internet and parking is a plus! The complimentary breakfast is really yummy, too, with several different options(eggs, fruit, waffles, bagels, English muffins, etc!) To add to the "home-like" feeling, there's always fresh coffee and chocolate chip cookies in the lobby. As if it wasn't enough, Country Inn and Suites has a "book lending" program, in which you can actually borrow one of tons of books they have available and take it with you to return at any other location in the country! No complaints whatsoever! On my last night it rained, and I was told they had umbrellas for their guests, if needed! I plan on staying there any time I'm in San Carlos or San Francisco for that matter, as it is worth the 20 minute drive! The manager, Parry, and Claritsa deserve special mention, they are what every guest expects from the wonderful staff at a top notch hotel! :)

Room Tip: Upper level rooms get less sunlight in morning
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Newbury Park
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011 via mobile

Some things are just deal breakers, you know? We got our first king suite, found feces-like stains on toilet lid and on the top of the toilet. Called and got room changed. New room has textured stained on curtains, curtains rods, and in bathroom. The pool is tiny, I mean, I've not seen such a tiny outdoor pool. The hotel rooms both have torn carpet. The hotel is sad. I hope they rev up their housekeeper and maintenance services, but I think perhaps I'll see if I can end my stay and search for another hotel.

• Stayed June 2011
GMsancarlosci, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson - San Carlos, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear Guest

I appologise for the inconvienince caused. However we are having our tiles changed in all the rooms. What you thought was feces was actualy tile grout stains on the wall which will be redone with wall paper. Believe me, as we will never ever rent a room with feces no matter what. Our rooms are cleaned daily and checked by the head housekeeper after completion and before renting it for the day.
Again I appologise for the inconvienice and you were not charged for the night since you were not satisfied with the room however it was tile grout stain and not the feces you thought it was.

maui
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

My company booked all of here. The carpet in the room left my feet black, the linens were less than marvelous. The price paid was unreal for a "motel" considering i have stayed at the HIE at a better price. The workout room is a joke, large enough for one person.
Positives:
close to cal tran station
A beer cap opener right on the sink wow
microwave and refrig in room

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson - San Carlos? Share your experiences!