“Noisy trains and automobiles all night long!!” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1562 El Camino Real, San Carlos, CA 94070   |
Special Price
10% Off Room Rate!
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in San Carlos
“Noisy trains and automobiles all night long!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011 via mobile

Besides being right on El Camino Real - an incredibly busy boulevard, the commuter train between San Jose and San Francisco passes 100 feet away all day and night long. Rooms are dirty, sheets don't get changed and the place is in need of repairs everywhere. New ownership lives behind lobby and the smell of Indian spices is quite repugnant.

• Stayed August 2011
gandhis, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
We appreciate your review and regret for any inconvenience during your stay. Our location is on road and local trains run during day time. There are no trains at night. Also, we have double windows to reduce any noise from train or traffic. Almost, all hotels on El camino has same impact from noise. We hardly get any complaint due to our double windows. We maintain highest standard for cleanniness and house keeping and all sheets are changed as per standards. We take pride in service and maintenance as well as houskeeping service. The hotel has same ownership for last 25 years. If you have any concerns, we encourage you to bring it to the attention of front desk manager, who can always take care of any issue.

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Plain and simple, it's a budget motel inn. You get what you pay for.

But it's clean, well-maintained and has free WIFI. Sorry to say I have no horror stories to share. There was a tiny cigarette burn on the comforter, but that's not so unusual for a budget motel.

There was No Vacancy during our two-night stay. The fridge, microwave, coffee-maker and iron worked fine. The front window is double-paned, so most outside noise is muffled out.The curtains block out the daylight very well. We slept in good!

Yes, it's located right on a busy road (it's a motel for goodness sakes!) and yes, the train tracks are right across the street, but my bf had no problem sleeping the whole night through. I'm a light sleeper so I wore earplugs to bed, and I slept just fine.

The proprietor was pleasant enough. We had an online reservation. He checked us in without any problem. He wasn't the most talkative person, but that's not his job. We shared a few laughs but it was obvious he was more comfortable just to get us our key and maintain "the proprietor" role. Overall, we liked him.

The area surrounding the motel was surprisingly... nice. Trader Joe's is practically next door (Less than a minute walk from our upstairs room), and there is a 24-hour Walgreens just another block or two away.

Try cruising down the street that runs parallel to El Camino Real, behind the motel. There are a bunch of cafes, mom&pop restaurants and shops: a cute little neighborhood shopping area. I don't understand how other reviewers think this is a sketchy area. Unless they think "middle class" is sketchy...

It took us about 30 minutes to get to downtown San Francisco without traffic. Half Moon Bay is just 20 minutes away if you go by Ralston Road.On Sundays, there is a farmer's market a few blocks north on the east side of the street.

We were in the area visiting friends. If we are to return, we'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The motel is managed by an elderly Indian couple who ofcourse live on the premises. Compared to most motels operated by Indian families, this couple do a pretty good job of keeping the rooms clean, orderly and free of curry smell. The couple keep the place secure with frequent securing checks of the place. All of the motel room doors directly open to the outdoors so air blows through rooms and there is no stuffiness or claustraphobic feel of dormitory styled motels. The motel is conveniently located close to shops, food places and Caltran (commuter train) - the commuter train is right across from the hotel which can be a nuasance at times. The none negative is the breakfeast which is crap - so skip it.

Room Tip: Check the room before taking - for there a couple of crappy rooms. The top level (2nd floor) is bet...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
San Carlos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We were travelling through San Francisco and did an online search for hotels in the area. This hotel looks ok on the site but when you pull up you will notice it is filthy and right beside the railway tracks. I was hesitant to pay but we had already booked online. When I tried to cancel, the man behind the counter said that he already had all of my info and he would charge us for the room anyway. When I said I was going to call the 1800 number for Americas Best he said "who are you going to complain to? I own the hotel" We came in with another family and they booked at the same time as us. He gave them a suite for the same price he charged us for the small room. When I complained he said that if I didn't like it he would be happy to charge my friend more for the room. Whatever you do, DO NOT STAY AT AMERICAS BEST HOTELS. Definatly off of my list of possible places to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
gandhis, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
We appreciate you taking time to write review for our property. We have checked the issue raised in your comments and we apolozie for any inconvenience caused to you. Americas Best Value Inn takes pride for its service, quality and amenities of the property. Our location is on main highway and railway tracks are on the other side of the road and we have double windows to reduce any noise and inconvenience to our guests. We have no issue with the noise as trains do not run at night.

We provided the room type- that was requested per your reservation. You had 2 rooms each with 2 beds booked and we have one room of that type, so for your other room, we upgraded and gave our mini suite - without any extra charge. This should make you a happy that you got one room upgraded without charge.

We appreciate your business and welcome to book directly by calling our toll free number. .
San Carlos Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

I would like to say that my stay at Americas Best Value Inn has been excellent. First of all the cost of the hotel vs. the value of the room and service is very good. The rooms are clean and have all of the amenities of a first class hotel. The maid service is very good and reliable. Most importantly, when something goes wrong, that is when you find out about service. I had a problem in my room that was taken care of immediately and done very well. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler. If your stay needs to be extended, the pricing of this hotel can't be beat! Again, hats off to the management and ownership of Americas Best Value Inn.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
gandhis, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, we appreciate your response. We work hard to provide you with the the best possible accomodations for the reasonable rates. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

Booked this hotel online and had expected to be a lot nearer San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead this hotel was near San Mateo Bridge which meant a 45 mins train journey into San Francisco and a 30 mins car journey to the Golden Gate Bridge.

As it turned out, we had a comfortable stay at the hotel and quite enjoyed the train journey into San Francisco. We had to drive to the train station as it was about 2 mile down the road. The train track does run across the road from the hotel, and trains could be heard going past when in the room.

There is no sight-seeing around the hotel, unless you like to visit the local supermarket or car wash (hey, whatever floats your boat).

For our purpose, I would describe this hotel as good enough.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your taking the time to give us your comments. We are a secondary location to San Francisco and San Jose which allows us to keep our rates more reasonable. Transportation by Cal Train or Sam Trans is convenient for both San Francisco and San Jose. There is also shopping near by in Hillsdale and many fine restaurants in the area. We are also convenient to Hillier Aviation Museum, Filoi Gardens, Coyote Point Museum and California's Great America.
northern california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I booked this motel on-line and when I arrived at this AAA approved motel (with a sign posted "Show Your Card" the desk clerk stated "The room is already cheap enough" when I attempted to get my AAA/AARP discount! The room was unbelievable smelly, obviously one of those former smoking rooms now deemed Non-smoking, but masked with a heavy chemical smell. It was horrible. It was impossible to sleep with a window open because of the traffic and train that ran just outside. My friend's mattress had large, dark brown stains running down the side - the imagination runs wild on that visual - and all the sheets/blankets had holes in them. A fan somewhere in the building woke me up several times during the night as it seemed to vibrate right into my room (108). I tried to check out the next day but no go (no refund) so was moved to another room that was still smelly but a bit nicer/cleaner. ( I checked out the following day and moved to another motel as I still had 2 days to my trip). The best thing about this motel was a Trader Joe's and Walgreens next door. There is no nice place to walk or escape the traffic, no restaurants within walking distance. I never saw the spa or the continental breakfast offered so can't comment on that. To sum it up, the rooms are shabby, stink horribly, and the desk clerk wouldn't honor the AAA discount. Not much to recommend.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we appreciate you giving us your comments. Your comments are used to help further training of our staff and evaluation of our product for possible needed changes. We appreciate your business.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!