“Just an average place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in San Carlos
Miami Beach, Florida
“Just an average place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

should improve cleaning of hotel, reception not clean enough, there should be ALWAYS someone at front desk, all rooms should have safe box, house keeping of rooms should be at least 3 times a week for a 1 week permanence, I stayed 9 nights cleaned just ONCE

Room Tip: a/c noise rooms need to be cleaner
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are sorry to hear that our housekeeping policies weren't explained to you during check-in. We have rooms cleaned once every 7 days for our guests that stay 8 days or more; however, additional cleanings or daily cleanings may be purchased for a minimal amount. In regards to your comments about staffing, we have staff at the front desk from 7:00am to 11:00pm every day. We also have staff in the building during the rest of the hours that can be reached by phone. We will work with our staff to make sure we are informing our guests of our policies during check-in.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We hope that you will contact us directly mpn@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

It is now 11:39 pm, and after having just completed three 12-14 hour days in a row, one would assume that I would be asleep. One would be correct, if it were not for the lamentable fact that I am staying at Extended Stay America. This experience would have to be better to suck.

I knew in advance about the maid service policy (every 8 days), about no hair conditioner (I brought my own), lack of a pool and the proximity to traffic- but hey, I'm only here to sleep, right?

Wrong! The bed may have been a medieval torture device. It is as hard as a brick, yet somehow manages to squeak like an old vinyl cafe booth every time you move. I have actually considered sleeping on the floor, but the carpet in the lobby was so disgusting on the day we arrived that I decided the bed was the lesser of the two evils. We also have a heavy-footed person who goes to bed quite late in the room directly above us.

The best part, though, is that the office door opens into the first floor hallway almost directly across from our room. It is a heavy metal door with an automatic closing mechanism which causes it to slam. This door is used multiple times throughout the entire night.

Every. Single. Night.

This is our 5th night here, and neither of us has slept longer than a 2 hour stretch on any one night since we got here. I very nicely asked the desk clerks this morning and this evening to try to avoid slamming the door for this one night- no luck. Oh, and the guy upstairs just got in- great!

• Stayed July 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a restful stay with us. We will have our maintenance engineer address the issue with the office door. We will also schedule an inspection for our mattresses to ensure they are meeting our standards for comfort.

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at MPN@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I use this many times for business trips sometimes up to 4-5 weeks.

Rooms are clean , if a little dated. Facilities in the rooms very good. Staff excellent. Location is good (for me anyhow) Prices are reasonable.

Down side , not many facilities onsite for food/bar etc. Would really help. I know there are cookers in the rooms but a little bar would help with a tv etc.

Room Tip: Try get a Ground floor room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel (and am currently staying as well) for about 18 weeks (spread across two stays) in last 8 months. Firstly, as it's true for all the hotels under ESA brand, it makes sense to stay in these hotels if you are staying for long duration or you are not getting a better deal elsewhere. I have come across people shocked by the fact that free room service is provided only once in a week (obviously if you are staying more than one week) and no room service otherwise. If you want to save some money on eating food outside and instead cook yourself, this is the place for you.

This place however lacks professionalism or hospitality, typical of a hotel chain. Even though I am staying for more than 6 weeks this time, guests with stay shorter than this are getting better per night rate and help desk doesn't have answer to this. No formal reward point system or any help about it.

Here is a summary of some of the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down -

- Good if you like to cook yourself and want to save some money on eating outside (there is a Lucky's store nearby as well)
- Typically, you should save more if you stay longer (not entirely true for me for my present stay)
- Availability of laundry machines (really convenient and economical)
- Location is not that bad, with various options to eat within a radius of 1 mile .. more convenient if you have your own car rental

- Internet: I simply hate the internet here, even though I have upgraded my internet, the speed is like the early 2000s
- They is scope of improvement in hospitality
- Don't expect typical breakfast (I have got used to it though) ... it includes some fruits, muffins and some othe grab and go options

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your fully equipped kitchen, our location and our laundry facilities. Still, I apologize that you were not pleased with our grab-and-go breakfast and our free Wi-Fi. As well, I am sorry that our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. I will be reviewing these comments with our staff to ensure your experience is not repeated in the future. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again in the future.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Overall enjoyed our stay. Staff wasn't the most friendly and also didn't advise us "newbies" to extended stays that they don't do room service/clean up every day, that its scheduled on a weekly basis instead. They do not allow for extended check outs (lame).Also if you need extra pillows or towels you have to get them yourselves. Only items they provided was dish soap, bar soap and shower gel not shampoo or conditioner. Popcorn ceilings but overall rooms were nice, spacious and kitchen with wooden floors was definitely a plus. Parking was fine even with next store construction going on. Staff needs to be a little more in tune with customer needs, more proactive on providing information upfront. Overall good experience for the price

Room Tip: ask questions upfront about what you need before booking.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at great value. Still, it upsets me to learn that our level of customer service did not meet your expectations. I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol so that this issue does not affect our future guests. Please know, our housekeeping service is provided once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. For those staying for shorter periods of time, services can be purchased for a minimal fee.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, mpn@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

First of all, when I checked and they sent me to a room that was not clean. I had just got done with a 15 hour work day and was extremely tired. So I had to come back downstairs with all my luggage and get another key for another room. I go to the new room and use the restroom and find the toilet extremely dirty. I have a picture to show if you would like it. The bed was hard as a rock and I did not sleep for both nights. The bed also had pubic and long head hairs in the sheets and on the pillowcases. The coffee pot was not clean and the silverware in the drawer had food dunk on it. This is totally unacceptable. I was promised by the manager a refund for one night. I have not seen that credited to my account as of yet. I usually do not complain about things but this was totally unacceptable and because of this I will never come back to this hotel again. I will also be writing a yelp review about this hotel. I was also told by the manager that they could not clean my room because they only do it once a week. That is ridiculous! What if somebody like myself comes in only stays for two days? The hotel room does not get cleaned? Yes, I am very upset. I had a long week working on my feet and all I wanted to do was get in bed and sleep comfortably and I could not do that because of the room.

• Stayed April 2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the level of cleanliness in your room. Please know, I am working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Our housekeeping service is provided once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. For those who are staying for shorter periods of time, services can be purchased for a minimal fee.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

The extended stay America hotel, situated on Circle star way, San Carlos, deserves a 3 to 4 star rating. We read the reviews and thought we would take a chance as we were looking for a budget stay. We had returned from a cruise, Southampton England to LA, and wanted a hotel room with catering facilities, and to be near our son in San Carlos. This Hotel ticked all the boxes, the room bathroom and kitchen was spotless. Clean towels everyday if you needed them, maid service once a week which suited us, as no interuptions, on a daily basis. If you needed clean sheets, tissues, toilet rolls or anything else they were plentiful. The Hotel was busy but quiet, yes, it is close to the road but the room we had was less noisy than some of the 5/6 star hotel locations we have used on our travels. The corridors are wide and the doors are not prone to slamming like many we have stayed in. The staff are very polite and helpful, anything we needed did not phase them. The bed was bigger than we have seen on our travels and very comfortable, you can get extra pillows and blankets with no problems. It is well situated between San Carlos and redwood city, we did not have a car but found everything we needed within walking distance. Sam trams have recently started a service which stops outside the hotel and goes to San Carlos station and close to redwood city shops. We will certainly use this hotel again when we return thank you

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos? Share your experiences!