“Reasonable better than a Motel but not as good as a Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in San Carlos
Dublin
“Reasonable better than a Motel but not as good as a Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I use this many times for business trips sometimes up to 4-5 weeks.

Rooms are clean , if a little dated. Facilities in the rooms very good. Staff excellent. Location is good (for me anyhow) Prices are reasonable.

Down side , not many facilities onsite for food/bar etc. Would really help. I know there are cookers in the rooms but a little bar would help with a tv etc.

Room Tip: Try get a Ground floor room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel (and am currently staying as well) for about 18 weeks (spread across two stays) in last 8 months. Firstly, as it's true for all the hotels under ESA brand, it makes sense to stay in these hotels if you are staying for long duration or you are not getting a better deal elsewhere. I have come across people shocked by the fact that free room service is provided only once in a week (obviously if you are staying more than one week) and no room service otherwise. If you want to save some money on eating food outside and instead cook yourself, this is the place for you.

This place however lacks professionalism or hospitality, typical of a hotel chain. Even though I am staying for more than 6 weeks this time, guests with stay shorter than this are getting better per night rate and help desk doesn't have answer to this. No formal reward point system or any help about it.

Here is a summary of some of the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down -

- Good if you like to cook yourself and want to save some money on eating outside (there is a Lucky's store nearby as well)
- Typically, you should save more if you stay longer (not entirely true for me for my present stay)
- Availability of laundry machines (really convenient and economical)
- Location is not that bad, with various options to eat within a radius of 1 mile .. more convenient if you have your own car rental

- Internet: I simply hate the internet here, even though I have upgraded my internet, the speed is like the early 2000s
- They is scope of improvement in hospitality
- Don't expect typical breakfast (I have got used to it though) ... it includes some fruits, muffins and some othe grab and go options

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your fully equipped kitchen, our location and our laundry facilities. Still, I apologize that you were not pleased with our grab-and-go breakfast and our free Wi-Fi. As well, I am sorry that our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. I will be reviewing these comments with our staff to ensure your experience is not repeated in the future. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again in the future.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Overall enjoyed our stay. Staff wasn't the most friendly and also didn't advise us "newbies" to extended stays that they don't do room service/clean up every day, that its scheduled on a weekly basis instead. They do not allow for extended check outs (lame).Also if you need extra pillows or towels you have to get them yourselves. Only items they provided was dish soap, bar soap and shower gel not shampoo or conditioner. Popcorn ceilings but overall rooms were nice, spacious and kitchen with wooden floors was definitely a plus. Parking was fine even with next store construction going on. Staff needs to be a little more in tune with customer needs, more proactive on providing information upfront. Overall good experience for the price

Room Tip: ask questions upfront about what you need before booking.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at great value. Still, it upsets me to learn that our level of customer service did not meet your expectations. I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol so that this issue does not affect our future guests. Please know, our housekeeping service is provided once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. For those staying for shorter periods of time, services can be purchased for a minimal fee.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, mpn@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

First of all, when I checked and they sent me to a room that was not clean. I had just got done with a 15 hour work day and was extremely tired. So I had to come back downstairs with all my luggage and get another key for another room. I go to the new room and use the restroom and find the toilet extremely dirty. I have a picture to show if you would like it. The bed was hard as a rock and I did not sleep for both nights. The bed also had pubic and long head hairs in the sheets and on the pillowcases. The coffee pot was not clean and the silverware in the drawer had food dunk on it. This is totally unacceptable. I was promised by the manager a refund for one night. I have not seen that credited to my account as of yet. I usually do not complain about things but this was totally unacceptable and because of this I will never come back to this hotel again. I will also be writing a yelp review about this hotel. I was also told by the manager that they could not clean my room because they only do it once a week. That is ridiculous! What if somebody like myself comes in only stays for two days? The hotel room does not get cleaned? Yes, I am very upset. I had a long week working on my feet and all I wanted to do was get in bed and sleep comfortably and I could not do that because of the room.

• Stayed April 2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the level of cleanliness in your room. Please know, I am working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Our housekeeping service is provided once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. For those who are staying for shorter periods of time, services can be purchased for a minimal fee.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

The extended stay America hotel, situated on Circle star way, San Carlos, deserves a 3 to 4 star rating. We read the reviews and thought we would take a chance as we were looking for a budget stay. We had returned from a cruise, Southampton England to LA, and wanted a hotel room with catering facilities, and to be near our son in San Carlos. This Hotel ticked all the boxes, the room bathroom and kitchen was spotless. Clean towels everyday if you needed them, maid service once a week which suited us, as no interuptions, on a daily basis. If you needed clean sheets, tissues, toilet rolls or anything else they were plentiful. The Hotel was busy but quiet, yes, it is close to the road but the room we had was less noisy than some of the 5/6 star hotel locations we have used on our travels. The corridors are wide and the doors are not prone to slamming like many we have stayed in. The staff are very polite and helpful, anything we needed did not phase them. The bed was bigger than we have seen on our travels and very comfortable, you can get extra pillows and blankets with no problems. It is well situated between San Carlos and redwood city, we did not have a car but found everything we needed within walking distance. Sam trams have recently started a service which stops outside the hotel and goes to San Carlos station and close to redwood city shops. We will certainly use this hotel again when we return thank you

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I've never stayed at an Extended Stay America property before. It was better than I thought, but would need to be better for me to stay again with the chain. The location was great, close to the 101 and easy to access locations close to Palo Alto and Menlo Park. The positives - the ladies at the front desk were pleasant and allowed me to check-in a little early and the bathroom was very clean. Parking was ample. Property on the outside was clean. The not so positives - the room had ants crawling on the counters, stains on the carpet, very worn bed sheets. In the 3rd floor corridors, they have scented plug-ins that are over powering. There was a sign in the elevator lobby indicating the floor was a smoking floor but my room had a no smoking sign on the door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay San Carlos. I am glad that you gave us a try, however I’m disappointed that you would hesitate to stay with us again. I assure you that we take very pro-active measure to ensure we do not have any type of pests in our hotel. We maintain a strict pest control service within all of our hotels. My sincerest apologies for the ants in your room, this has been taken care of immediately. I also want to thank you for letting us know about the carpet cleanliness, we have also made sure this room has been freshly shampooed and cleaned. I would love to have you back as a guest in one of our hotels to show you how great a stay can be. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at the front desk at any time. Our hotel number is 650-368-2600. Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon. With Hospitality the Management at Extended Stay America San Carlos.
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Staff was accommodating when I made a mistake with my reservation and got me a 'no smoking' room. Easy to walk to a shopping area and close to some key roads in the Palo Alto, Stanford, San Jose area. Good value and nice rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
I would like to take a moment to thank you for your great review of our Extended Stay Hotel in San Carlos, CA. We are a very centrally located hotel on the Peninsula. Close too many restaurants and shopping. We pride ourselves in ensuring a clean, comfortable room stays after stay. We hope that you will continue to stay with Extended Stay Hotels as you travel. We appreciate your business and your great review. With our thanks, The Management at Extended Stay San Carlos.

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos? Share your experiences!