I have traveled extensively throughout the world; and almost always choose the cheapest options available. It was this practice that landed me at Budget Motel in San Bruno, CA. I rented two rooms (a single for myself and a double for my crew). It was by far the absolute worst lodging experience of my entire life. The crew's room did not have the microwave oven promised when the reservation was made. When I picked up the phone to call the office to request one, the phone had been beaten into a nonfunctioning piece of garbage (a piece of garbage that they charged a $20 deposit for I might add). As I was trying to determine whether I could make it work, I noticed that it did not have a cord. I went to the office to make my request and report my nonfunctioning phone; the lady at the desk (the only person that I met that spoke English) told me that the cord was probably behind the night stand; and she would see if they could find another microwave. I thanked her and returned to my room to look for the cord. It was in fact behind the night stand; along with grape vines, assorted trash, and likely years worth of dirt. After my second request for a microwave for my crew, I was told that they did not have one.
Both the air conditioner and the furnace (two seperate units) had visable filth and mold covering their faceplates. The outside door had gaps over 1/2" all the way around. The ciderblock walls were absolutely filthy and reminiscent of a third-world jail cell. The carpeting was disgusting; stained and reeking of dog urine. I found pieces of dog food along the wall to confirm my olfactory prowess. The bathroom was nothing short of a science experiment; with fixtures that looked like they had been salvaged from the L.A. riots nearly 30 years ago. The roof contained an open window that I could not shut; to make theft that much easier by the crackheads and gang members that inhabit this hood.When I asked the resident English speaking staff member if there were any internet options available for purchase; she suggested that since there was a ghetto housing area behind the hotel, maybe I could find a wifi connection that was not secured (she probably got the idea from the unsecured window in the roof that they provide at no extra charge). The water was a sickening shade of yellow and had a distinct odor of rotting vegetation. The only maid service provided over 4 miserable days, was replacing dingy stained towels twice. Not once was a bed made, or even a trash can emptied. I planned to stay two weeks, but could not take any more than 4 days. I would not have lasted that long if I had more than 6 hours a day to spend in this room. A gallon of bleach and a 30-day round of antibiotics will probably be necessary to recover from this. I would not reccomend this dump to my worst enemy.They were rude, obnoxious, and filthy. When I was not laying awake in bed, wondering if I would be killed in the crossfire of a drug deal gone bad or a gang war; the planes taking off in front of my door made sleep impossible. If this motel is the only vacancy that you can find, then do yourself a favor and check out neighboring dumpsters. It would certainly be an upgrade. Thank goodness my office was as horrified as I was, and made arrangements to find me another hotel.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.