“Disgusting and not maintained!” 1 of 5 stars

Budget Motel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 El Camino Real, San Bruno, CA 94066   |
Ranked #13 of 13 hotels in San Bruno
San Bruno, California
“Disgusting and not maintained!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

No money is put back into this hotel. My husband and I were desperate and needed a place to stay everything was booked up. We called .2 miles away and was told we could get a room for $70. We get there 2 seconds later and the lady says ohh that was just taken now all we have is this 2 bed room for 90. Like i said we were desperate so we took it. Stains all over the walls, you can hear everything through the paper thin walls. Horrible place and lying staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

The rooms were absolutely disgusting and falling apart. There was mold growing on the walls of the closet. There were spiders behind the nightstand. The heater looked like it had possibly caught fire at some point cuz the metal was all melted/distorted. The room reeked of smoke (we requested non-smoking), and NONE of the windows opened. The toilet was literally cracked in half down the middle (and just caulked up to prevent leaks). Oh and the best part... the room sported a "king size bed" which was literally two twin beds pushed together. Also, don't expect to get a good night's sleep here as it's less than a mile from the airport. This place appears to be run by an entire family... the husband the manager, the wife the front desk clerk, and one of the daughters (who definitely looked underage) the maid.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
benicia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Interesting stay with no safety issues encountered that I've read in other reviews. This older style motel offered a spacious room and had a high vaulted ceiling with a number of storage spots, some out of reach. VERY large bathroom/hallway, but room could use some new paint, furniture - and a little more cleanliness, bigger refrigerator, etc. But, the decor, left untouched through time reveals a historical and old interesting building. Many may find the room style inappropriate as a motel room, but it served my purpose well. No noise issues to report( noise is often an issue in San Bruno, near the airport) and a very good night sleep. Recommended for budget-minded travelers not fussy about room appearance or lack of a few amenities.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Omaha, U.S.A
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

The worst hotel experience I've ever had...bar none. I should've listened to the previous reviews. For starters, the "concierge" is a tiny front office that is kept locked, I was told for security. One night, a guy broke into the room next to mine and I had to call the police because the "concierge" doesn't pick up the phone after 9pm. It's a family-owned business, so you don't have a "head office" to report to. They're nice people but offer no service other than a place to sleep. I did not feel safe for the 4 nights I was there; a homeless person was picking thru the trash right outside the room the 1st day I arrived. The rooms have direct views to the street, and I was downstairs, so anyone, I mean anyone has access. There's no fence. The bathroom had a large window at the top that adjoins another room (or someplace), and there's no curtain on it. So anyone can climb a chair and watch you as you bathe. The towels are dirty and torn. They don't change your sheets unless you request it. The "concierge" was still asleep at 8 am one morning when I went to knock, and I had to ring several times before someone unlocked the door. Even then, she was wiping sleep from her eyes. Never book such a place if you're a single woman travelling alone. I was so uncomfortable there that I always stayed out sight-seeing until it was time to go to bed, because there was no comfort in my room. I mean basic comfort. The ceilings are unfinished in many rooms, so it gives the feeling of a warehouse-turned-hotel room. I had to change rooms 3 times on the first day I arrived. I had an early start with the shuttle to the airport at 4am, and even though I let them know that the night before, they wouldn't open the door so I could safely wait in the office to watch for the shuttle. I waited an agonising 25 minutes out there in the dark alone...Run for your lives, and find somewhere else to stay!!! It's not worth it...that's why called "Budget" Motel - they're not lying folks! That's why it's the cheapest...there are probably hotels almost as cheap nearby, but better. I only stayed b'cos I didn't know how hard it would be to get my money back from expedia.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — The security, and the absence of a REAL concierge, also the facilities
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

We just returned from a quick weekend trip in San Francisco and found a package deal for a flight and lodging at the Budget Motel in San Bruno California. San Bruno is listed as being approx 15 miles south of San Francisco. Its a bit of a commute but for the price was good. The room we stayed in was large and very clean. I didn't notice any lingering odors, the bathrooms was very large and clean.
The motel was very close to the SFO airport. I would recommend using BART to get around town and the motel was within walking distance from the BART station approx a 5-10 minute walk. There is a mall that is very close and restaurants very close.
If you are used to immaculate grounds and fancy accomodations then this may not be for you. Since we didn't plan on spending much time in the room it met our basic needs just fine and was very clean.
Pro:cheap, large rooms and clean
Cons: Far from attractions, front desk was not willing to accomodate checking our luggage to store until our flight left.

Been to Budget Motel? Share your experiences!