“Great Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Bakersfield, California
“Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My family and I have been coming to the Ritz Inn for the past few years on our annual migration to visit our family in the Bay Area and you can't beat the value. The room (room #101) was clean and spacious sleeping 4 people comfortably for three nights. The staff were courteous and hospitable. The new manager Peter is very nice and very accommodating. My family and I enjoyed our stay at the Ritz Inn.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Airville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

stayed 3 nights .,it was clean ,good wifi and a fridge in rooms.,the best part was the manager.,so helpful and nice .,i couldnt get a taxi to airport at 4 am in morning ,.so the manager got out of bed and drove me there ,.theres a bar across the street and a liquor store next door .,only ten min from airport.,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I'm a hiker, backpacker and veteran, so I've been in pretty 'uncomfortable' situations to say the least. This hotel is easily the worst hotel I've ever stayed at and I don’t really expect much other than a place to sleep for my day time adventures.

We drove up from Los Angeles, CA on Thursday Dec 5, 2013. I called the hotel in the morning to let them know that we would be arriving around 12am and wanted to know if there were any special procedures for late arrivals. Peter verified my name and reservation for 1 queen size bed for my fiancee and I. He said to just ring the bell at the window and someone would come to the window to help us. When I arrived I rang the bell and Peter himself came to the window to check me in. The first thing he said was that he didn't have any single beds available but could give me a room with 2 beds for the same price. I asked him how that was possible since I spoke to him earlier that day. He just told me not to worry, that it would be the same price and refused to give me an explanation. With a smile I said thanks for the extra bed!

After swiping my card and signing the credit card slip he handed my room card and just stared at me. I asked for a copy of the receipt to which he replied, “just get it when you check out.” I told him that I’d like him to “please” print me out a copy of the receipt since I just signed the credit card slip and he could easily print out a copy while I was standing there. He told me to ‘remind’ him for a copy when I checked out. I was tired so I just said OK and walked back to the car to take my bags up to my room. This all happened at their window which is outside the main office. By the way, it was 37 degrees Fahrenheit.

We got into room 222 and noticed that the door wouldn't open all the way because it hit one of the 2 beds we had been ‘upgraded’ to. Hmm… weird, but it opened to a little less than 90 degrees so we could shuffle in. We quickly noticed that they had playfully tried to hide the outlets. Good thing we were raised with plenty of ‘Where’s Waldo” and were trained for such an occasion. We found one behind the night stand between the beds that was only visible after you pulled the stand away from the wall. The second was in the foot well of the desk. Finally the 3rd (and last) outlet was cleverly hidden at chest level mashed between the mirror and the towel rack that stuck out from the wall about 6 inches, thus blocking your view of the outlet. We only found this one after deciding to take a shower and pulled the towels out to reveal its hiding spot.

We went into the bathroom and noticed that no one had called the health department, or at least we assumed this from the amount of mold, rust and peeling paint. The peeling paint didn't really give me that warm fuzzy feeling but it was the mold that really caught my attention. I didn't think anyone would believe the amount in there so I took a bunch of pictures. Besides posting them here, I’m also going to send them to the health department. Seriously. We didn't really have many options, so we just tried to take a quick shower and get to bed. Once in the shower I quickly noticed that there was no heavy weight plastic shower curtain. There was only the light weight cloth curtain that usually goes on the outside of the heavier plastic curtain. On the ceiling was the fan which blew the light weight curtain against my wet body where it stuck. Ok, challenge accepted! I had to shower with the curtain pulled open so it wouldn't keep blowing onto me, which caused the ice cold 37 degree tile floor to become a slippery death trap. Not a problem! A simple hand towel became a make shift bath mat, although sopping wet. Next hurdle, drying your hair. The hair dryer in the room was an antique and didn't work very well at all! Check out the pictures, it’s actually kind of funny. We were feeling adventurous and tried it out after figuring out that it wasn't a vacuum. It was a piece of junk that needs to be taken out to pasture and shot. Luckily we brought our own ‘just in case’. Too bad the outlet kept blowing out.

Here are other miscellaneous issues I found with the room which you will see in the attached pictures. The hangars had rust on them and the pole itself was wood with peeling paint (if it gets lots of use, either don’t paint it or use a metal pole so it doesn't look so bad). The iron holder was ripped off the wall and the iron itself was missing. The cabinets had a ridiculous amount of dust, fuzz and dirt built up on the cabinets and drawers. The sink basin had a very noticeable crack in it. It seems the owners were too cheap to buy door stops because the bathroom door was making a hole in the wall. The really weird thing is that you can tell that this was a past problem and this part of the wall had been patched, but why not buy a door stop to prevent it from happening again? There was no light cover for the bathroom light and the base of it had a bunch of rust on it. The volume control on the remote for the tv didn’t and the internet didn’t really work. For anyone in the business I figured out that it’s because IPv4 and IPv6 were disabled. Who the hell does that and then advertises free wifi?

We paid for Thursday – Saturday but didn't want to stay there any more after our 2nd night. On Saturday morning I went to ask if we could just check out one day early and get our money back for Saturday night. The wife was there and said “no refunds.” To paint you a picture, those are literally the only words she had said to me up to that point. When I walked and said “hello, good morning” with a smile on my face, she just stared at me. I said that she could easily rent the room out to someone else and we were leaving well before the 11am checkout time. She pointed to a sign with a long list of things that were not permitted. Oddly, I didn't see any rule against smiling or at least being somewhat pleasant, but maybe that was a personal rule for herself. Anyway, I saw that this was going no where so I let her know that we were going to go ahead and check out anyway. I asked for a copy of my receipt. She asked if I had made my reservations on-line, to which I replied yes. She said that I would have to print out my receipt from my e-mail. I told her that I never received a receipt when I checked in and that Peter had instructed me to get one when I checked out. She looked me up in the computer and reluctantly printed out my receipt.
This was easily the worst hotel experience I've ever had! Stay away from this place!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I am stumped. It was based on Trip Advisor reviews that we opted to stay at this property for the final night of our CA trip. What a mistake! Okay, I'm a "Silver Linings" type of person so let me point out the positives first: It's location is a mere 10 minutes from the San Francisco Airport making it convenient for returning rental cars and avoiding traffic back-ups. The flow of water from the shower was good and the water was soft, not hard like it is in many places. Also, the owner is friendly. That being said, everything else about this MOTEL was awful. Where to start? We paid an exorbitant sum to stay here ( over $83 including taxes) in booking through an on-line site. The owner made it clear he is not happy with the on-line booking sites and the meager sum they give him ( $63 which, believe me, is MORE than generous) and yet, when I phoned the property direct to get a better rate, he was prepared to charge us even more to stay there and eventually, wound up saying we should book with the (objectionable) on-line site. Here is what we "got"for our night's lodging: plaster was falling off the walls in the bathroom , the ceiling above the shower was cracked, floor corners were dirty ; the exterior stairwell and corridors were carpeted but the carpeting was frayed and very dirty looking . Our room was non-smoking which was good, but after we dragged our 4 suitcases/ carry-ons up 2 flights of stairs ( no elevator, of course), we were immediately faced with one of those tall, cylindrical cigarette butt "holders" that was overflowing and stunk badly. The shower handle was loose and wobbly. There was no hairdryer. It took forever for the shower water to warm. The in-room towels had a sandpaper quality they were so rough. The 2 soap bars were the smallest I have seen anywhere. There was a VHS only player in the room. That alone should tell you outdated this property is. Yes, there was an in-room fridge and microwave but both were externally dirty looking and appeared very old. The lighting in the room was motion activated so that every time we moved in the slightest, the lights would come on. We did not discover this until after the owner ceased taking guest calls for the night so we were braced for a night of no sleep. Fortunately, after roughly half an hour , my hubby figured out how to put a stop to this. We both wore ear plugs so I cannot address how well soundproofed the rooms are but know they face a busy street. Our room was small. The "lobby" was a cubicle and had a dirty quality to it. The owner is quite obviously not putting funds into improvements. The 3 preceding nights we had stayed at an independent property in another community where we paid less, had a considerably larger room, breakfast rolls and fruit were included as was free use of the computer, there was a small fitness center/ outdoor pool/ whirlpool tucked inside a gazebo , a fridge and microwave plus none of the frustrations I have cited. Anyway, I am left to wonder...did the owner assign us a 'lesser" room because we went the on-line booking route or are traveler expectations really that low???...****Also, take note on San Bruno itself: the motel is near "The Avenue" a longish street , supposedly the heart of their downtown. It was junky. Hair salons and Asian massage/reflexology places on every corner and cheap knick-knack shops . There were also plenty of Asian style eateries that might , or might not,be good. Burmese and Thai stand out. Anyway, set your expectation bar low for the general area too.

Room Tip: Avoid this. Stay in San Francisco at a property that has a shuttle .
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

After some pretty rude treatment from some Motel clerks in san bruno,,,I happened upon Peter and the Ritz Inn,,,,What a great spot!!!!
Room was very clean ,,,well preserved!!!!
Custodial staff(Reina) was very nice and accomodating!!!
Clean was the key word for this cool spot!!!
Peter the manager and his wife were very nice and professional.....
I give this motel 5 stars!!!!!
Don,t even check anywhere else !!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the ritz Inn!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Point Reyes Station, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Peter at the front desk was very helpful and accommodating. The girls came in everyday to clean the room. The towels were changed everyday and the sheets every other day. Quiet and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2013
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I needed a commuter launch pad to operate from and this place had good internet speed, a clean and bright work and sleep space for a very good price. The staff is friendly and considerate, Peter is the best! I will return soon, the Ritz Inn really is the best deal around by far.

Room Tip: No swimming pool, lol, not that kind of place on El Camino Real, the perfect distance to SFO and a j...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ritz Inn? Share your experiences!