“Very Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was surprised how nice this place turned out. We had a room facing the back which is residential area with SFO in the distance. SFO changes it's flight path so yes at times you will hear the planes, but an hour later - nothing. If you walk approximately 5 blocks to the rear of the hotel, you are in historic San Bruno - plenty of places to eat. Beds and pillows were so comfortable, provided a good night's rest. Free WiFi was fast, the provided computers in the hallways were dated, but useable. The staff were all very friendly and tried to do everything to make our stay the best. One evening the hot water was lacking, it took one phone call and the staff was on it. The maintenance guy at this place is outstanding, he is working in the kitchen in the morning, doing laundry during the day, and getting the hot water fixed in the evening. The continental breakfast is limited if you are there for a few days so we opted to rotate eating out - Jack's is a good option. Free parking was a big plus too. Good value.

Room Tip: Pick a room to the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Azusa, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel is truly lovely, but in the flight path of the airport. We were unable to leave the window open due to airport noise, and the air conditioner blew right on the bed, so we couldn't use it. We were a little warm for sleeping. I asked for a sheet the second night as the duvet was too warm, and they were happy to accommodate us.
Breakfast was only carbs. Hard boiled eggs are cheap. And easy. Don't get why more hotels don't add them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I booked this through a 3rd party site while sitting in the airport waiting for my flight yesterday. This was a last minute trip to the bay area and I needed a place for 1 night. I'd been looking for places based on Trip Advisor reviews for the SFO or OAK areas and not coming up with much that I wasn't hesitant about while at a good price. I gave up and used Hotwire, choosing a 3 star unrevealed hotel with 95% approval rating. I so happy that I did (even though the 3 star they gave me near Philly airport 2 weeks ago was horrible). The reviewers didn't steer me wrong on this one. I would definitely stay here again, even for a vacation to the bay. The hotel is on a major street so you do get traffic noise, but it didn't interrupt my sleep. If you are a light sleeper this may be an issue for you. The bed was wonderful, the room very clean, nice bathroom and toiletries. It's an old hotel but it doesn't look or smell it. It's beautifully decorated and has underground parking. The staff is really friendly and helpful. The Trainee at the front desk did a wonderful job. The wine and cheese reception some evenings is a nice touch. They don't have it every day and it's done weekdays only. There's a continental breakfast, but I think I'll pass and go to the diner down the street or iHop next door for a full breakfast. I won't have a chance to use the dry sauna, hot tub or gym but I wish that I did. Lastly, they are in the process of putting in a cafe. That should be nice. The area around the hotel is residential with businesses along this major street. Lots of restaurants, both local and chains, within a short walk or drive.

I'll be returning. Well done Trip Advisors!

Stayed June 2013
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel is in San Bruno, a very short distance from San Francisco International Airport. Its greatest asset is that proximity to the airport, but because the hotel does not have a dedicated shuttle service, waits of 45 to 60 minutes for pickup by a contract taxi are common according to the hotel and my cab driver. My wait was 45 minutes from the time that I called the hotel. The return to the airport, prearranged several hours previously, was quicker, but even still the driver was ten minutes late. Once you get to the hotel, the situation improves because of a large and quiet room. There is no food service except at breakfast time, but a five minute walk takes you to a street with coffee shops and many ethnic restaurants. Arriving late, I ordered Middle Eastern food from "Ray's Pizza", aka Sajj halal restaurant - amazingly great food for take out. Hotel security may not be the best with only one clerk on duty and the outside doors unlocked. The staff were friendly & breakfast ok (you can do much better in the neighborhood). Except for the airport transport this hotel is very nice at the price, and would have been ranked higher by me. I won't likely stay here again because of the transport issues, or else use the money saved to pay for my own cab to the hotel.

Room Tip: I only stayed in a room facing the back of the hotel which faced a quiet residential street. This wo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here 2 years ago for one night because it is so close to the airport. Just got back from another 1 night stay in this really nice hotel. The room was clean and the bed sooooooo comfortable. We enjoyed the hot tub and the free breakfast. They will see us again every time we have to stay close to SFO.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were looking for a hotel near the airport for the night before a flight out of SFO. The Villa Montes was clean, with a modern, eclectic feel. Taylor at the front desk was very friendly and helpful when we checked in and gave us directions to the CalTrain, since we had baseball tickets that night. The room was nicely appointed, but the bathroom could have used a towel rack, shelf and soap dish, as there was not much counter space. We had the room fan on all night, so weren't disturbed by either street or airport noise. The breakfast was the typical Choice Hotels continental breakfast, but with actual dishes, silverware and glasses. The breakfast room was pretty and even had tableclothes. Instead of the usual airport shuttle, they use a cab service. We had to wait a little while, but better than sitting on a shuttle that is making numerous stops.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had an early flight out of SFO so we wanted to stay near the airport. The hotel is close to the airport and there are several gas stations on the way so you can fill up your rental car. I agree with several other reviewers. Our room was on the Camino Real side of the hotel and we could hear the street noise. Our room also smelled of mold or mustiness. There was no top sheet and the room was too warm to sleep with the duvet. We wanted to print our boarding passes for the next day and we had some trouble with the computer on our floor so we went up to the third floor and used the one there. We we up and out before the breakfast started so I can't comment on it. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We appreciated the tea and cookies when we checked in. Overall, for being close to SFO this hotel fits the bill but I wouldn't stay here if I was touring in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms on the Camino Real side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
#3 of 12 in Burlingame
4.5 of 5 stars 722 reviews
Howard Johnson Express Inn San Bruno/SFO West
Staybridge Suites San Francisco Airport

Been to Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!