“OK if it's what you are looking for....” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Jacksonville, Florida
“OK if it's what you are looking for....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were looking for someone to grab a meal later in the evening as a lot of places Salinas close early. We called the place to double check and the person who answered said that they serve up until midnight. When we went, it was a Weds. evening. I heard music which sounded terrible to discover on the board out front that it was Karaoke night (not really what I wanted). Since it was one of the few places open, I would have grin and bear it. When we went inside, the speakers were turned up extremely high...much too loud for even a live music or karaoke venue to the point that everyone I was with had ear pain (especially when someone hit a off-key high note). The food, we never got to try. Apparently, they stop serving "real food" 10PM and serve only bar snacks until midnight. Something that we were not informed of on the phone and quite irritated that we had wasted our time. We were pleased to leave. since we was not in the mood to be in a noisy pub with karaoke and a younger crowd of 20 some things.
*Good place to be if you are into noisy young crowd pub scene. BTW, they do not know how to make a lemonade shandy...I found that rather odd that it is an English pub that had no idea of what we were talking about. Not good for what we were looking for at the time.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Spreckels
“British Style In Old Town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I enjoy the local talent featured on live music nights! The Penny has seen its ups and downs, but it is still a fun place for a drink and some pub food. The fish and chips are fairly good, and they have a large variety of beers on tap.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Perfect endup for a hearty stroll.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

I had the best Rueben sandwhich I can remember here today. The Harp Ale was sublime. Main Street Salinas is a treasure trove with this place at the end of the rainbow.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salinas
“Used to be a great British pub!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Well, it USED to be a great British pub. It seems they have improved the menu to include Pot Pie and a few other British items, but tacos?? I am sorry, when I go to a BRITISH pub, I want to see what I would see in England! (Maybe they serve tacos at the pubs in England now?) I miss the bangers and mash, didn't see that on the menu last time I was there. Since it was bought 2 years ago, it just doesn't have the "feel" of the old Penny. I got good service. It still looks the same as it did. They do have a hot pastrami sandwhich I want to try! :) So, I would go back, the food IS good, I do think it could be better,though.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Monterey, California
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Been coming here every once in a while. Great selection on tap and good food. Happy hour prices very reasonable and good service. Don't expect your food to be speedy but expect good quality. Try the Californian Burger.

• Visited January 2012