“What an awful place” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Salinas
Gdansk, Poland
“What an awful place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Let me start by saying that I'm not an overly picky traveller. I'm okay with almost everything, but I hate being fooled. If this 'hotel' was $15.00/night, I'd say it was okay, but we paid $62.00 (sic!) for a night in the most awful hole I've ever seen in my life and believe me, I've been to some places and slept in some motels that were much cheaper and much better. Let me also add that the room we got (they call it a standard room) does not even have a bathroom and you need to share bathroom and toilet with other guests. As soon as I woke up in the morning, all I wanted to do was to leave. The place is a mess, it smells funny in a bad sense and opening a window does not help. I'm pretty sure all furniture there was in the room was collected from refuse heaps. The fridge was massive and old, and it was standing in the middle of the room as if it was some kind of a wardrobe, what the heck? The sink was disgusting, I don't think it was cleaned for a long time. The tap made those high pitch noises when you were opening it. The window sill was DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY, same as the curtains, it looked as if they were stained with blood. The walls are painted with oil paint that is peeling off in some places. I honestly don't know how to explain how creepy and hideous this place was. I stayed there because I booked via a site and knew I will not be refunded if I want to leave. They put some blurry pictures on the site and photographed a better room and here I was on my honeymoon, disgusted to the bone. I would not even call it a hotel, it was like a creepy hostel from some kind of a horror movie!
The wifi was supposed to work in the whole building, it was not and I had to sit on the stairs to get the signal.
The good things were: central location, clean sheets (although there was no duvet, only a thin blanket and I was cold at night) and a nice, welcoming receptionist, however I do not think he was sober.
I have 2 suggestions for the management: either lower the prices considerably or invest some money (a lot of money)m in this pla I'm feeling fooled.
Good advice to those who consider staying there: book somewhere else, do not take this chance. My worst hotel experience EVER.

Room Tip: stay away from this place
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ola_912

Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

If you're ok with unsafe, drug using, foul smelling environment you have found your paradise away from home! While this place is ok with some people, for me it was horrific. The aroma of that placed lingered well into the night after we refused to stay in the establishment. We asked to cancel our reservation after seeing our room and feeling incredibly unsafe and they refused. We are still working on the matter and Kevin is claiming we stayed the night when we did not. Do not bring kids here... or anyone you care about. It should be condemned.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a tv that plays more than adult pay per views. Unless that's all you care t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank cin g
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I went to salinas to visit a friend we were walking around downtown when we saw this hotel we decided to stay last minute for girls night out and shopping. The hotel is really old which is why I was attracted to it, its very clean and the gentlemen that works at the counter is very nice and accomadating! They have a mexican restaurant that has the best carne asada and believe it or not a hamburger comparable to in- and- out. I will definately come back :)

• Stayed December 2011
La Habra, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Last hotel left with rooms available...now I know why. Exterior had the Bates Motel feel to it. The exterior paint is peeling, you can see broken windows from the outside, who would want to stay in a place that looks like that from the outside?? At least the lobby seemed a little friendlier in decor. Kevin, the manager who stays on property (poor Kevin!) let us see the room before checking in, although I knew I was stuck since I booked thru priceline (prepaid)-and by the way-what were They thinking?? bathroom was small and dank, the windows broken,dirty, rusted, vanity sink next to the bed was in extremely poor shape- lots of cuts into the acrylic. I had a sleeping bag with me and used it to sleep on the bed on top of the covers.
The surrounding area has been renovated and has the old town nostalgic feel to it. I could totally see this hotel fitting right in...IF ONLY THE OWNERS WOULD INVEST SOME $$$ INTO THIER PLACE!! I can see that people might want to stay there and feel like they were staying in Mayberry S.C. Until then...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Bette V
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I booked this hotel only knowing that it was in Salinas. when I got there I was taken back by its exterior shabbyness but once I went in I loved how vintage it was it was very clean and yes the floor creeked and the window was a little cracked but its a 100 year old building. We had plenty of towels and the linens were clean and fresh. I even had management come to our room to make sure we had settled in comfortably. There is also a Mexican restaurant downstairs that has really good authentic food. If your used to checking in at 3 or 4 star hotels this is definitely not the place for you. If you can appreciate good customer. Service at a shabby shiek hotel then go try it out.

• Stayed August 2011
Salzburg, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

when we arrived, our first thought was to leave again, because the place looked all shabby from the outside. Unfortunately we had already paid the room in advance. the guy from the reception suggested to pay another 5 bucks for a so called "deluxe room". i'm going to be straight forward with this: it was a dirty hell, the bathroom was all calcified (even the window) and anything but cleaned; there was mold in the drawers and the closets; the windows were so old you did hear everything from the street (big street, so you better bring some earplugs) and we had a really cold draft all night (there was no heating in our "deluxe" room).

as long as you're in your right mind you should never even think about staying here! take a look at the pictures we took! disgusting place!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank m4ng0
honlulu
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

it was horible, stinky, dirty!!! the windows were broken the door had no dead bolt we stayed in the room 5 min. just long enough to get a cab and book a different hotel. bed bugs, scary and unsafe. the rooms look nothing like the photos online.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family