“The marketing for the place severly...” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 21 things to do in Salinas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a Walk on the Wild Side! Visit Wild Things exotic animal facility and see a collection of over 100 animals.
“The marketing for the place severly...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

The marketing for the place severly misrepresented what this place really is. We first arrived and they actually charged us for taking our seven week old baby on the tour! I have never heard of anything more ridiculous in my life. On top of it, he actually slept through the whole tour. I can't believe he didn't get to enjoy it or ask any questions! Secondly, it looked as though the animals were free roaming. That is far from the case! The animals are so couped up in such small cages that it is downright embarrassing that as a human race we could do this to other animals! It takes quite a bit to move me, but this actually did. It also is because these animals actually look depressed. My advice is to go to a zoo instead. They are much more human than this place, more interesting and they don't charge you to bring your infant along!

Redondo Beach, California
11 attraction reviews
“felt bad for the animals in small cages”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

i expected the animals to have more room and it was a bit depressing to see them in small chainlink cages. so that made me sad... our tourguide had so many rules and was strict with us, it was not fun, and it was not something i would recommend to anyone. we could hardly hear half of what she was saying, and what we did hear was not very interesting or informative. The animals all seemed sad and depressed. for most of the tour the dogs that were being housed there were barking so loudly so we could not hear any of the tour guide's words. the best part was hanging with the camel at the front of the preserve, he was pretty cool.

Phoenix
30 attraction reviews
“One hour tour was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

We took the one hour tour at Wild Things and thoroughly enjoyed it. You get to see the animals up close (in cages or enclosures) and we learned a lot. Our tour guide, Aja, was very knowledgeable and friendly. Just be aware that they only offer one tour during most of the year (at 1:00). They do add a 3:00 o'clock tour during summer months. A very worthwhile stop if you are in the Salinas area.

Arcadia, CA
“Best Time I Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

This was a birthday present I gave myself. It is a wild animal training facility and sanctuary which gives public tours and also runs a bed-and-breakfast facility with 4 tents situated near where the elephants are housed. Each canvas tent is nicely appointed with small fridge, toilet/shower, space heater, and ample front porch to watch the animals. I chose the "Pachyderm Palace," so Butch (one of the 5 African elephants) brought me my continental breakfast. The trainers also brought various other animals by on their afternoon walks (baboon, Siberian lynx, Brahma bull). I also bought their VIP Tour, which is a complete tour of the facility, including intimate details about all the animals from one of the very knowledgable trainers. I finished it off by actually being allowed to wash Butch, which is an experience I heartily recommend to any animal lover! I'm already planning my trip there next year! You can get a quick one-hour tour at 1 p.m. daily for $10, but for the full experience, you gotta stay in one of those tents!