“Fabulous Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in St. Helena
Longboat Key, Florida
“Fabulous Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We spent a portion of our anniversary trip in California at this beautiful location. The staff was amazing even before we arrived. The concierge arranged for multiple private winery tours for us in a chauffeured car as well as champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in our room when we arrived.
We checked in at the guard gate when we arrived and he gave us directions to the reception where we checked in. The staff was friendly and helpful in every way.
The first night there after dinner at the grill (which was very good) the staff helped us moved to another room (even though it was very late in the evening) due to a crying baby in the room beside us. They carried our bags in their carts and helped us settle in the new location. We never had any problem with staff in the reception area or the restaurants. Everyone in our experience was friendly and attentive.

The property is lovely, and the rooms as clean and lovely as well. The wooded location up above the pool area was a quiet and charming location. The only negative for me was that to leave the room upon checkout it was difficult to carry the luggage down stairs and pull them up the path to the car. They may have helped if we asked. We were fine, but ... be aware of this if you are someone who might have difficulty with heavy luggage that some of the units are up or down steep paths and have stairs.
The winery tours they set up for us were just wonderful, including some tours by the winery owners themselves. The chauffeur was charming and knowledgeable and the car was very comfortable.
We had breakfast every morning at the grill. We were here for four days and tried a new item each day for breakfast and everything was wonderful. One thing we had to have every day were their English muffins. You MUST try these. The best we've ever had and unlike anything we have had before. We were away each day so we never tried lunch on the property, but did have the tasting menu one evening the The Restaurant which was quite good.
We would highly recommend this property. It is very close to everything in Napa and Sonoma, but you feel worlds apart from all the hustle and bustle in this lovely wooded location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
We are so very happy you chose Meadowood for such a special celebration! It pleases me to know our staff was sensitive to your desire for a quite, romantic stay and found you an alternate room. I have to agree with you that Chef Vicky Acosta in The Grill makes breakfast the best meal of the day! We all wish we could take credit for the English muffins, however, they are the divine creation of The Model Bakery in downtown St. Helena. They are so popular they are limited to one bag of six per customer. It's true! Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you will return to us for many future anniversary celebrations. Alex Kim, General Manager

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Warsaw, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have stayed here twice and am really glad that I gave it a second chance. The first time I had just stayed the Calistoga ranch resort and meadowood came in a distance second. I revise my opinion after this stay and they are both fantastic. I loved the room this time, the hiking trails are great, the facial was top notch and the food is amazing. I plan to return. The location is more convenient to restaurants than the Calistoga ranch.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the croquet court. We stayed there last year and were disappointed. The rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We just spent our Honeymoon @ Meadowood. The service began back in February, 2013 when we booked, and the hits just keep on coming! The word "no" is not in their vocabulary. The service was impeccable, every angle..from everyone! Our room was quaint, yet luxurious. Our view was of the croquet course and the lush fairways. The fireplace was crackling for us, champagne awaited us from the manager, every amenity we could ever ask for was all there! The meal at the restaurant was a once in a lifetime experience. Trying to find the words to share since hoping someone will read this...unique doesn't do it. Stylized almost does it. The experience hit on all senses. The taste...captivating. The smells...tantalizing. The setting...zen like in the simplicity and luxurious. The service there? Ha! No words...we met the chef and toured the kitchen. It's expensive. Ignore Randolph314, there is no reason in the world to pick this place apart. Go! Spend the money! Life is short, you live once! Notice all the surrounding beauty! What a honeymoon spot. Would go again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Unique resort in the hills above Napa. Each room is a separate cottage. Beautiful rooms. Amazing restaurant! You can do a 3 course tasting menu at the bar (only 4-5 seats so make a reservation) actual restaurant is 12 courses! Small bites in the lounge gives you a taste of what this talented chef can do! A fun experience coupled with Sam's cocktails and a staff who provides service beyond compare. Smart and charming. A place were the longer you stay the more you love it.

Room Tip: Try to stay not too far up the hill - nice to be able to walk during the day light!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My 3-star rating is purely relative to the high cost of staying at Meadowood. It is a very nice resort, but given the cost I expected more. Our room was not as spacious as I would have expected given that it cost about $1400 per night, the interior was a mixed bag (the bed was very nice, but the carpet and sofa were of a much lower quality), the pool was ok but nothing special, and I'm informed by my wife that the spa was run down. On the plus side, the service was excellent and we had good meals throughout our stay. Ultimately I expect a special experience at this price range, and I don't think it was delivered. Next time I'll go back to Carneros or Solage.

One other note: I know that tipping is a customary practice and that only a small minority of hotels have no-tipping policies, but it becomes annoying when something like 150 people are involved in the check-in process. I shouldn't have to carry lots of small bills just to check in and the whole routine of handing money to people detracts from what is supposed to be a relaxing stay. I would have added a fourth star if the hotel paid its staff a bit more, increased the room prices correspondingly, and adopted a no-gratuity policy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at Meadowood Resort over Labor Day weekend as we were getting married nearby. We had the majority of our guests book at Meadowood as well and everyone was equally impressed and thrilled with the service, the staff, the food, the beauty and overall perfection of the property. I had many conversations with the reservations & sales staff (Tamra!) before I arrived and they absolutely set the tone of the weekend. Every question was answered thoroughly and thoughtfully and efficiently. As a bride to be, you couldn't ask for anything more! Thank you Meadowood for making our weekend unforgettable! Can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This beautiful estate set on 250 acres in the woods is beautifully maintained and serviced. Every guest room is private with a separate entrance so you are never sharing a wall with anyone. All accommodations come with an outdoor terrace and a fireplace. There are world class tennis courts and a nice, simple gym.

The grill, one of the restaurants offers the most phenomenal corned beef hash I have ever had. The burgers are good. They will tell you that it is one of the best but I've had better. The most noteworthy person at the estate is the grill's manager, Paul Pilson. My husband and I were there with friends in July during a massive heatwave. The air conditioning was not working on our last night in Napa and Paul moved us in to a private room and gave us the most unbelievable service. I am from New York. I am hard to please and I mention his name and want to thank him because the entire trip could have ended on a bad note but he really made such a special effort to make us feel at home and comfortable. I cannot thank him and his staff enough for the wonderful service.

There is a wine tasting at 4pm every day as well. It is pleasant and social but I think they could have stepped up the wines a bit with the plethora of world class wineries all around them.

All in all, Meadowood is a very special place. It is expensive but it is really something truly stunning and I wouldn't stay anywhere else while in Napa. Don't miss it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Meadowood Napa Valley? Share your experiences!