“UNEXPECTED..SERENE...BEAUTIFUL LOCATION...PERFECT GETAWAY!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in St. Helena
Studio City, California
“UNEXPECTED..SERENE...BEAUTIFUL LOCATION...PERFECT GETAWAY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

After spending a terrible night at one of the new modern popular hotels we booked Meadowood through AMEX fine Hotels and Resorts for our last night. The hotel is situated in a canyon lush with redwood and oak trees.
The staff is amazing and couldn't do enough to make our stay perfect.

Our one bedroom cottage suite was nestled up in the trees over the tennis courts. It was beautifully built with wonderful high beam ceilings and a rock wood burning fireplace. Great bed..super cozy and quiet. Well appointed.
The room service was excellent. Everyone there that we dealt with was cheerful and made it their job to make sure we had everything we needed.
Perfect getaway....definitely will return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
meadowoodvalley, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I wanted to thank you for writing and identifying yourself as having come to us via your relationship with the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program. American Express is a valued partner and we are honored that they have the confidence in us to refer their discerning clients. We appreciate that you took the time to share your story with us and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the estate!

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I absolutely LOVED this place! We did a San Fran/Napa/Sonoma trip. This was my favorite leg of the trip. The service was outstanding. When I phoned from the room, they greeted my call so warmly, and 2 minutes later, my freshly-squeezed orange juice arrived. I had an amazing deep-tissue massage on site. I played croquet...which I ABSOLUTELY loved!! (Bring proper attire, as I spent over $50 on shorts from the club house. For lunch one day, I had a multi-colored tomato salad. YUM. For dinner we had all sorts of caviar, fish.....I didn't love everything, but my other guests couldn't get enough!

The room was terrific and spotless. I loved every piece of this property. I loved the people we encountered and want to go back......and stay forever!!

Room Tip: They are all good rooms!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We love that you are willing to work to accommodate your next stay! It's so wonderful to hear from a guest who was able to experience so many aspects of the property. One of the most common comments we hear from our guests is, "If only I'd known how much there was to do at Meadowood, I would have planned to stay longer!" We believe wide ranging experiences differentiate us from other properties. And, we understand that it is our talented people who create those experiences for our guests. We're so happy that both our breadth of activities and our staff fostered a memorable stay. On your next visit leave time for a wine class, tennis, golf and / or a hike on the Meadowood Loop. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Oh, and I just about lived on the heirloom tomato salad during harvest season.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here several nights before and after our wedding in October 2012. Truly a wonderful experience all around (service, accommodations, amenities, etc). We were also very impressed with the bell staff and their desire to exceed our expectations. We will be back to Meadowood very soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Forestville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I’d never expected to be able to stay at Meadowood, but fortuitously received the opportunity for an overnight there in mid-November, a quieter but still very beautiful time of year. After making my reservations by phone (a pleasant and effortless transaction) there was attentive, personalized followup via e-mail by a Guest Service representative. Since we had also made dinner reservations at the stellar fine dining restaurant there, I was also contacted by a representative of The Restaurant in order to determine what types of foods we preferred, as there is no set menu. Each guest’s dinner courses are customized based upon the diner’s preferences. This preliminary “interview process” was unique, fascinating and fun!

Upon arrival at Meadowood I was immediately impressed by the feeling of seclusion one has even though the entrance to the resort is just a short distance from the Silverado Trail. Meadowood’s sprawling acreage reminded me of a woodland estate. Venerable old oak trees were as integral a part of the property as were the developments. It’s impossible to adequately convey the peaceful natural beauty of the grounds, but it exceeded all my expectations.

We were greeted warmly at the Reception Lodge and went thru a smooth, congenial check-in process. The reception/lobby area is spacious and has a surprisingly casual environment--not a hint of stiff formality. There’s comfortable seating around a Bay window and near a large stone fireplace. Later that evening we returned to the Reception Lodge for their wine reception which takes place between 4:30pm-5:30pm. Wine selections were limited but of a good quality and it was an enjoyable prelude to dinner.

After check-in we were escorted to our room by a member of the bell staff who also provided a brief explanation of amenities and services. Having someone show us the way to our building was quite helpful since there are many different complexes accessed by various roads. Meadowood offers numerous types of lodging arrangements varying in size, ambiance and location. I’d carefully chosen one of the “Treeline Lodges” because these units have separate bedroom and sitting room areas rather than an open floorplan. We stayed in #401 which was situated up a hillside with parking conveniently located at the bottom (altho’ one walks up 3 sets of stairs before entering the room). Our unit had about 500 sq. ft. plus a good-size covered front porch (private) that looked out over the lush foliage and across the access road to one of the resort’s pools. Altho’ the view we had wasn’t exactly striking, it was still quite attractive and serene. But I have to add that we live on forested property, so might be somewhat jaded when it comes to tree-filled views!

The decor and style of our room could be described as “contemporary cottage” with its white walls, high ceiling and large beams. The space was bright and airy feeling and everything was immaculate. The bedroom and sitting areas were divided by a small foyer and honor bar area and the bedroom could be completely closed off. Contemporary furnishings in the sitting room included a sofa that could be converted into a bed, a small dining/game table with 2 wicker chairs and matching coffee table and end table. I was surprised that there was no desk, but perhaps the whole point of staying at Meadowood is to leave the office far behind! Our sitting area had a large stone fireplace (wood-burning) with a long hearth that took up 2/3 of one wall. There was a nice stack of wood and kindling provided on the hearth.

The bedroom had a window seat that was long enough for an adult to stretch out on, but was also a very convenient location to place our bags. The King bed was supremely comfortable and in fact, helped lessen my sciatica in just one night! The bedroom had a built-in chest of drawers and the closet area offered adequate space. The sitting room also had its own closet and built-in storage cabinet.

The foyer had stone tile flooring and the sitting room and bedroom were carpeted.

Lighting was limited with a single table top lamp in the sitting room and muted overhead lighting above the sofa. It was good thing that only one of us wanted to read that night. A couple of electrical outlets were accessible near the sofa.

The weather was mild for November and the fireplace provided more than adequate heat to keep things comfortable. We didn’t adjust the thermostat or use the ceiling fan. All the windows were openable, so I would imagine they offer some nice cross ventilation during warmer days.

In-room amenities included: (2) phones, an iPod dock, (2) LG flat panel TV’s, a small coffeemaker, ceramic tea pot/tea cups, 3 sets of wine glasses (it’s Napa Valley!), in-room safe, iron/ironing board, hairdryer, and free Wi-Fi. The small frig and honor bar/pantry contained a nice array of drinkables and eatables inc. some Dean and Deluca items and a selection of Napa Valley wines. There was also a flashlight, and a USB cable--the latter being a very practical item that I’ve never seen offered before in a room.

Our bathroom had white ceramic tile flooring and tub surround, pedestal sink, marble-topped cabinet, and shower/deep tub combination. Lighting was good, as was the water pressure and temperature controls. There was no fan, but the openable window did a decent job of keeping the steam down. There were plenty of towels provided inc. oversized ones, bathrobes and slippers, Molton Brown lotions, soaps and other toiletry items. One negative in the bathroom: a drippy sink faucet.

Surprisingly, the artwork in our room was unremarkable. I’d thought there would be some interesting original art, but instead there were predictable framed wine labels, a vineyard print and a wildflower poster. We had also expected to see outdoor sculpture and eye-catching art in the public areas of Meadowood, but found very little. I have to think this is by design (no pun intended) and the lack of embellishments allowed the natural setting to be the focus.

During our stay there were some surprising slips in service. Before arrival I had ordered a split of wine for the room, but received a full bottle and was billed for the same. Turndown service included opening/making up the sofa bed which not only wasn’t needed, but in its “ready for bed” state, the opened sofa took up most of the space in our sitting area. Lastly, a breakfast credit that should have been applied wasn’t factored into the final statement. (These lapses prevented me from giving Meadowood a full “5” rating. I do wish that TripAdvisor allowed reviewers to post half points since mine should have been “4.5”).

Since the roadways and paths are dark after sunset (keeping the setting more natural), we decided to drive rather than walk to dinner. Guests also have the option of being shuttled to and from dinner. The restaurant building is situated close to the Reception Lodge and is entered via an attractive atrium with an octagonal skylight and an array of lighted candles. Our dinner at The Restaurant at Meadowood was truly the apex of our stay. Dinner unfolded as a fabulous culinary event unlike any I’ve previously experienced. The dining room was pleasantly understated with comfortable space between tables. The noise level was so low that one never needed to raise their voice to be heard. We felt very relaxed and at home within the setting. The serving staff was excellent--very attentive, knowledgeable and professional without being the least bit obtrusive or pretentious. Our primary server was warm and personable and completely focused on providing us with a perfect dining experience. And it was perfect. Each course (I believe there were more than 12 different dishes for each of us) was a beautifully presented work of art. The ingredients were chosen and prepared to bring out the essence of flavor and freshness. The infusion of herbs and spices was magic! Timing of the courses was leisurely without being overly protracted. I have to say that there wasn’t a single thing that I could have improved upon. This extraordinary dining experience was truly worth the upper tier price of $225 per person, and I fully understand why The Restaurant has earned 3 Michelin stars!

The next morning we had a delightful walk to breakfast at The Grill, Meadowood’s casual restaurant. During our leisurely stroll we took a look at the 2 pools, spa, tennis courts, croquet lawn and golf course--and also took some photos of a rare Bugatti EB which was parked in one of the lots. After breakfast we walked a portion of the unpaved hillside trail which took us thru oak trees and afforded great views over the grounds and golf course. We picked up a bottle of water at a station along one stretch of pathway--a nice touch! We encountered no one else on the trail. With our short time at Meadowood coming to an end, my husband relaxed in the spa which was conveniently located across the access road from our building. I savored the peaceful surroundings--a great ending to a very special stay!

Room Tip: Carefully peruse the web site descriptions and floorplans to find what fits you best. I loved the T...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sausalito, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We love Meadowood! I just want to say that up front, but on our last visit it was clear to both of us that the resort needs a bit of spiffing up.
First of all: there is not a more charming spot in the Napa valley. The resort is lovely and has beautiful grounds and excellent architecture. The pool area is wonderful on warm days and the rooms are cozy and charming. We have visited several times this year.
Here's where the hotel could do with a bit of refurbishing and attitude training of staff:
The Grille is Meadowood's casual restaurant and the menu should reflect that. We had dinner there on our first night and were dismayed to see the complicated items on the menu. What we had hoped for from the Grille was simple food like steak, chicken, soups and salads as Meadowood already has a sophisticated restaurant that was closed on that night. We like basic food and had a hard time finding this on the Grille menu.
Our spa experience was disappointing as the spa needs updating. There is no place to sit while waiting for a massage other than the outside area which was freezing as it was December. The massage tables are old and the headrests are uncomfortable and the locker rooms have little privacy. We were also disappointed in our massage therapist who seemed unskilled.
As for our rooms: unlike other visits we experienced service that was disappointing in nature. Maids opened our door without knocking, the fire was layed poorly and did not light each time,
The heat in my room did not work properly.
Overall we were left with a feeling that management was not overseeing details that had always been overseen in the past. Little things that make such a big difference. Well run luxury hotels train their staff to knock and then wait before entering a room even if the "do not disturb" is not out. Setting a fire properly is easy to teach to a new employee. Checking the room before a guest uses it is really important.
I love this hotel and hope small changes are made as well as upgrades as the hotel needs them, particularly in the spa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Well, kind guests, I do not know where exactly to begin. So, I suppose I will simply begin with an apology for not meeting your expectations. We are, in fact, in the process of refreshing a great many of our guest rooms and recreational areas. I would like to ensure this is what you experience on your next stay by personally assisting with your reservation. With respect to service, our service should be exceptional at all times. When we have the opportunity to speak about your return visit, I would value a few minutes of your time to hear about your experiences first-hand. I will look forward to the opportunity to speak with you. Alex Kim 707-967-1215.
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Lovely location, great food, nice sports facilities with excellent wine program. One can have a very relaxing sojourn. The rooms are extremely comfortable and view is generally pleasant. Unfortunately the main restaurant was closed for renovation. The time flies at supersonic speed at this resort. The service in the restaurant was awesome though the room service (here it would also include being transported from Reception to the room) left much to be desired.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thank you all for the recent positive comments! We so appreciate reading about your experiences. We are heartened particularly when our guest share stories about members of our staff who have helped to create special moments and memories. Our service culture is very important to us as we know this is what makes the difference between a good stay and an exceptional one. We look forward to welcoming you back to Meadowood!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We spent the night here with friends from out of the country as a quick getaway. We arrived with no expectations other than a very nice dinner, so it was an extremely pleasant surprise to find a resort that was as well run as this place. Service was truly impeccable - probably the best we've experienced in this country (and we've stayed at many nice places in the U.S. as well as in Europe and Asia). If we had to give specifics, they'd be little things -- spa masseuse who spent an extra ten minutes with me, barman who only charged me for a small bottle of Pellegrino for a large one because he had run out of the former, etc.. . But as a total package, it's extremely rare to find this level of service without the attitude.

Restaurant was also amazing. Every dish was perfect and beautiful and the wine pairings delicious. Probably the best meal we've had in the Bay Area ever (including the French Laundry). They're doing something very special here.

Only caveat is that the rooms were a tad small without much of a view.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Meadowood Napa Valley? Share your experiences!